Best Living Room Chair for Back Pain – Are you experiencing back pain and looking for a comfortable living room chair that will help ease the pain? Look no further!
In this post, we will discuss the best living room chairs for back pain. We will also provide tips on how to choose the perfect chair for your needs. So, whether you are suffering from occasional or chronic back pain, keep reading for some helpful advice.
If you suffer from back pain, your choice of a living room chair may be more important than you think.
Because a good ergonomic (orthopedic) living room recliner chair, with lumbar support, conforms to the natural alignment of your spine, keeps you in the proper posture, prevents back pain, and even relieves existing backaches.
Are you a back pain sufferer? If yes! You don’t deserve to be the one! And we are sure, you are in a phase of constant research about how to battle your ailment. Because this disease will be badly impacting your professional and private life.
Apart from opting from one cure or the other, start considering using a specially designed living room chair. Because an ordinary chair remains no more your go-to place.
Pampering your body requires some investment of time and money. Investing in a room chair that can support your back in the best possible way is the wisest idea ever. This investment boosts your spirits in the longer run. So right now, you need to set your goal to buy the best living room chair for back pain sufferers.
Most people are not aware of the health benefits of relaxing in a La-Z-Boy. Research done by the New York Dynamic Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Center shows that La-Z-Boy recliners have helped minimize back pain and leg injuries.
La-Z-Boy Recliners have seven patented features you’ll only find on their recliners, and the most important ones enable the seat and the back of the chair to move together so a gap doesn’t develop when you recline.
Best of all: La-Z-Boy Recliners have a patented mechanism that allows you to recline your back without having to lift your footrest!
La-Z-Boy chairs support and align your spine in all reclining positions and make sure your back is comfortable, rested, and supported. No matter where you’ll purchase a La-Z-Boy recliner, you’ll be able to choose the fabric, handle option, and cushion upgrades.
For bigger people suffering from back pain, choosing a larger recliner would be best, because when your recliner is too small for you, it won’t hit your pressure points properly, and won’t keep a good posture.
The La Z Boy Jasper recliner is larger than average, has a wider seat, and comes with pillow arms and a stitched back cushion that supports your back when you rock, sit, recline, or take a nap.
Pros & Cons
- Seat height: 22 to 25 inches
- PREMIUM CUSHIONING: Ergonomic office chair with memory foam cushioning that contours to your body
- STYLISH AND VERSATILE: A tasteful complement to any office, home, or entertainment space
- BIG AND TALL DESIGN: 45- to 48-inch height range and 21-3/4-inch seat width. Sturdy components surpass rigorous BIFMA testing standards and supports up to 350 pounds.
- WARM AND INVITING: Chestnut brown bonded leather upholstery with rich mahogany-stained wood
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Fully adjustable height, recline, and tilt settings
2.Human Touch Perfect Chair
Although the Perfect Chair by Human Touch is more expensive than the others on this list, we couldn’t help but notice the many consumers that experienced immediate back pain relief when sitting on this zero gravity stylish recliner.
Here are some of the testimonials we’ve found: “Very good engineering, quality materials and craftsmanship, and oh, so very comfortable, This chair is better than a sleeping pill, Superbly comfortable and takes the weight and pain away ,No more headaches or back aches. This chair has eliminated them.
The Perfect chair is a true zero gravity recliner that looks amazing with its wooden legs and classic leather cover.
Pros & Cons
- Neutral posture positioning evenly distributes body weight to eliminate painful pressure points. Zero-gravity seating expands lung capacity, allowing for deeper and more relaxed breathing
- The Recline Lever. The smooth recline motion eases the Perfect Chair to position your body in a state of virtual weightlessness
- 100% Full-Grain Premium Leather Upholstery
- The Warmth of Wood. Our hand-carved and hand-sanded solid wood base is made from the Hevea Brasiliensis (the rubber tree), which yields one of the strongest woods on earth. The result-rich, lustrous beauty that lasts for years and years.
3.Irene House 9188
The Irene House Lift Chair is the only recliner on this list that can be adjusted to any positioning angle between 90 degrees and 180 degrees.
The footrest is also highly adjustable – and anything can be done via the remote. Choose any reclining angle between 90 to 180 degrees
Unlike most living room recliners, this one is powered by an electric and dual motor that run separately and are very quiet.
The power lift helps you get up easily from the chair – without added stress on your back, knees, and joints – which is necessary for people recovering from surgery. Lift chair feature to prevent back and knee strain
Consumers have pointed out the good comfort level of the Irene House Lift Chair, with its extra padded arms and wide backrest, the added lumbar support pillow, and the fact that it supports up to 300 lbs.
The lumbar support pillow that you get helps you keep your back aligned when you sit, recline or lay down to sleep. Without the pillow – you’ll have a gap between the chair and the backrest.
Pros & Cons
- 【DUAL OKIN MOTOR】This lift chair is specially powered by dual OKIN motor - each motor works independently. You can get any position you want easily as the backrest and footrest can be adjusted individually. The chair helps seniors to stand up easily, and it's ideal for people who have leg/back problems or people who have mobility issues.
- 【INFINITE POSITION】The best position for extended sitting is a reclined position. This power recliner allows you to fully stretch and relax, and the infinite position lock makes it possible to adjust the reclining angle no matter you are reading, watching TV, or sleeping.
- 【HUMANISTIC DESIGN】The matching lumbar pillow covers the gap between the seat and the backrest when reclined. The side pocket is a very convenient storage space for remotes, magzine, pad, etc.
- 【COMFORTABLE UPHOLSTERY & STURDY CONSTRUCTION】Enjoy the incredible comfort with padded arms and a plush seat. The smooth faux leather cover is waterproof and easy to clean. The high-quality metal frame of the base and high-density foam ensure long-term service and a weight capacity of 300 lbs. The wooden frames used in our products are formaldehyde-free, complying with the P2 Requirement of the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
- 【CUSTOMER SERVICE & WARRANTY】Simply contact us via Email for any concerns during product installation and use. Warranty: Electronic components (motor/transformer/remote controller): 1 year; Cover (fabric, PU/PVC leather, top grain, etc): 2 years; Reclining mechanism: 3 years; Solid wood frame: 3 years. NOTICE: Returns for non-quality issues - the chair is recommended to be packed in original boxes and returned within 7 days, and the buyer pays for freight and shipping costs.
The Piper Swivel Glider has a rather firm back that supports the spine and also comes with a lumbar support cushion.
It can be used as both a recliner and a glider (360-degree swivel motion) that moves smoothly back and forth.
The reclining mechanism is aesthetically hidden and adds to the modern design, and the chair reclines with an easy access handle on the inner side of the chair.
Along with the plush popup leg rest, this is a great living room chair that can prevent back pain, help nursing moms with back pain, and is stylish and well built.
Pros & Cons
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow.
- DESIGNED FOR PARENT AND BABY: Metal base that allows for a smooth and gentle 360 degree swivel motion and forward and backward gliding so you can be comfortable as you feed or rock your baby to sleep
- RECLINE AND RELAX: We've hidden the reclining mechanism for a more stylish, premium look. Prop up your legs on the plush leg rest and lean back for ultimate comfort. Easily open and close the leg rest without a struggle.
- COMFORTABLE HEADREST: Being a parent is hard work. High back allows moms and dads to comfortably lean back for some much needed rest.
- FOR YOUR BABY'S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals. Upholstery is free of chemical flame retardants. Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) and Formaldehyde free. Meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements.
Power Lift Assistance: Counter-balanced lift mechanism with TUV certified actuator pushes the entire chair up to assist the user stand up easily without adding stress to back or knees, smoothly adjust to lift or reclining position you prefer by pressing two buttons on the remote control.
Full-body Vibration & Lumbar Heating: It comes 8 vibrating points around the chair and 1 lumbar heating point. Both can turn off in fixed time 10/20/30 minutes. (Heating function works with vibration separately.)
Clean Easily & Durable Upholstery: The chair features high-quality faux leather for easy cleaning while still providing superior comfort and aesthetics. Clean with a dry or damp lint-free cloth (no need for oils or waxes).
USB Charging Ports & Cup Holders: The chair has dual USB outlets that keep your devices charging and dual side pockets for small items within reach, two cup holders on both sides of armrests best meets your needs. (Notes: The USB ports ONLY for low-power devices, such as iPhone, iPad.)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION- 1. Delivery: The chair comes with 2 boxes and we ship them on the same day but the carrier may deliver them to your door on different days. 2. Easy assembly required, no tools needed
Pros & Cons
- Power Lift Assistance: Counter-balanced lift mechanism with TUV certified actuator pushes the entire chair up to assist the user stand up easily without adding stress to back or knees, smoothly adjust to lift or reclining position you prefer by pressing two buttons on the remote control.
- Comfortable and Durable Cloth Material: With overstuffed padding and simple lines sketched out the backrest, back with unexpected sense of the parcel, built-in springs in both of back and seat, overstuffed pillowtop arms, more comfortable. The treated cloth surface was characterized by silky hand, good elasticity, certain effect of anti-felting and anti-pilling.
- USB Charging Ports & Cup Holders: The chair has dual USB outlets that keep your devices charging and dual side pockets for small items within reach, two cup holders on both sides of armrests best meets your needs. (Notes: The USB ports ONLY for low-power devices, such as iPhone, iPad.)
- TUV Certified Actuator & Lower Noise: The lift motor of the chair have obtained TUV certification and have better performance, the more quiet operation, longer service lifespan.
- -IMPORTANT INFORMATION- 1. Delivery: The chair comes with 2 boxes and we ship them on the same day but the carrier may deliver them to your door on different days. 2. Easy assembly required, no tools needed. 3. Max reclining angle: 140°. 4. Recommended height: 5'1"-5'9". 5. If you have any concerns regarding your health, consult your doctor before using the product.
- About Assembly Options: The "Expert Assembly" service is provided by Amazon and you need to select it and add to the shopping cart together when you place order, then make an appointment for the installation time.
6.Homall Recliner Chair
The Homall racing style massaging recliner has a modern gaming chair look, is very comfortable, supports the back, and most importantly – offers a good lower back massage you can operate via the remote control.
This great value (and low cost) recliner chair can recline up to 170 degrees (more than the average 160 degrees), has an adjustable backrest angle and foot pedal, and is very easy to put together.
However: Note that the Homall manual recliner doesn’t fit taller and bigger people, and the weight capacity is 265 lbs (lower than the average 300 lbs).
Pros & Cons
- Material: High quality pu leather, comfortable skin friendly and easily cleaned, high density thicker sponge, high resilience and high permeability.
- Adjustable Recliner: This recliner can be used as three kinds of shape from 90 to 180 degree, suit for gaming, working, watching movies and napping.
- Upgraded Footrest: Highly durable steel frame with thicker foam padding, better to enjoy your favorite tv shows or rest.
- Maximum Capacity: 265 lbs; Seat height: 17.7 inch; Seat dimensions:19.7 inch x 22.1 inch; Back dimensions: 20.9 inch x 29.1 inch; Open dimensions: 27.6 inch x 64.2 inch x 27.9 inch; Closed dimensions: 27.6 inch x 35.8 inch x 38.6 inch.
- Foot protection: This single recliner is supported by four sturdy feet with non marking pads which effectively protect the sofa and hard floor.
How to Choose the Best Living Room Chair for Back Pain
If you are looking for the best living room chair/recliner chair for back pain relief, here’s how to make the best choice:
A good ergonomic recliner will not have a gap between your lower back and the chair – when you lift your feet up. If there’s a gap, your back will sink into the middle of the recliner and cause you to slouch. This puts a strain on your low back muscles and ligaments.
A good recliner for back pain will elevate your legs above your heart level (zero gravity), which fights gravity and helps blood flow travel back to your upper body. The blood flow boost brings pain-relieving and anti-inflammation blood components to your entire back and neck.
Sitting for long hours in a living room chair that doesn’t fit your body can cause unnecessary back strain or discomfort.
For example, If the back of your recliner is too short, the top cushion will push your head forward and may cause neck discomfort without you knowing it. Choose a recliner chair that fits your height and weight.
Recliners come in different sizes, from petite ones (for 5’4″ and under) to small ones (5’5″ – 5’9″) to tall (5’10” – 6’2″ and extra tall (6’3″ and up)
Recliners with a hardwood base, a four-sided frame, and a mesh layer between the cushion and springs are well-made, durable, and will last for generations.
Manual/Electric (Power) Recliners
Power recliners will cost several hundred dollars more than traditional manual recliners. This is primarily due to the motor and mechanisms included in the construction.
👉 Related: The Top 5 Zero Gravity Massage Chairs – in 2022!)
What is the Best Living Room Chair for a Bad Back?
The best living room chair for a bad back would be an ergonomic, orthopedic recliner that leaves no gap between your back and the chair when you recline – to fully support your spine and keep it in the correct posture.
Are Recliners Good for Lower Back Pain?
According to the latest research, sitting somewhat reclined (preferably in a 135-degree body-thigh position is better for your lower back than the common 90-degree chairs.
Is it o.k to Sleep in a Recliner if You Suffer From Back Pain?
Sleeping in a recliner is generally safe if it is ergonomic and has proper lumbar support. People with back pain may find that they get better sleep in a recliner than in a bed.
What’s your experience with sitting on a recliner and back pain? We’d love to know!
It is important to realize that just any chair won’t help you get rid of back pain. In fact, some chairs can make your problem a lot worse.
Your back pain is very likely already resulting from a bad chair at your workplace. When you are looking for a good chair to specifically reduce back pain then you should look for a chair with the following features;
What can possibly be better than receiving a deep tissue massage while you relax in your chair? Some living room chairs are designed with vibrating massage systems built into the back of the chair.
The massage function can soothe some of the tension out of your muscles to reduce pain.
Warmth can make a huge difference in the amount of pain you feel in your back. Many also believe that applying heat to injuries can help promote healing. Heat therapy is also great for reducing some of the symptoms of arthritis or aging.
A chair with a heat function in the back is an especially good investment for people who already had back surgeries and struggle with pain when those metal pieces become chilly in the winter.
A hard chair will only worsen your back problems because your spine will get twisted into the shape of the chair when you sit back.
You also don’t want a chair that is so soft you end up sinking into the fetal position. Look for a chair with lots of thick yet firm padding so you can maintain a healthy posture while sitting down.
Chair Back Height
The height of your chair’s backrest is fundamentally important for reducing back pain. If the chair back is too low, your head will always end up in an odd position when you rest or you will try to slide down into a bad posture position to compensate for this issue.
Look for a chair that has a high back so you won’t have to slouch just so you can rest your head.
Find A Wide Chair
It is important to get a chair that is wide enough so your shoulders can fit comfortably. But it is also important not to get a chair that is too wide because this will give you a chance to sit askew or to slouch into a bad posture.
The chair you choose should be just wide enough to offer good support to both shoulders.
Consider Your Feet
It is very uncomfortable to sit on a sofa when your feet are constantly dangling downward. This type of sitting position adds strain to your spine and can cause lower back pain.
The ideal chair can recline so you can put up your feet while you rest. When your feet are put up, blood circulation is promoted so you can avoid swelling feet or that annoying needles and pins feeling you get when you cut the circulation to your feet off for too long.
Consider The Fabric
The fabric of your chair won’t affect the way your back feels but it can make a huge difference in sitting comfort.
Leather or faux leather sofas are always easy to clean because you can simply grab a wet cloth and wash the sofa without altering the fabric and with no risk of mold growing in your sofa.
But leather sofas have a few drawbacks. The biggest drawback is that most of these synthetic leathers only last up to 5 years before they start to tear up.
Another drawback is the chill you feel when you sit down on these sofas in the winter. Leather fabrics can also make you feel wet and sticky during the summertime because the fabric doesn’t breathe.
If you have a young family, then it is probably best to consider a leather sofa because they are easier to clean. But for all other purposes, fabric sofas tend to be more comfortable throughout the changing seasons.
Mind Your Sitting Position
Even the best chair in the world cannot help you reduce back pain if you don’t pay attention to the way you sit down on your chair. One of the biggest culprits of back pain is slouching.
When you slouch down, more pressure is placed on your spine and blood circulation is also reduced to your legs.
It is important to find a good chair that makes it feel more comfortable to maintain proper posture while sitting down.
With the right-back support, your muscles will eventually strengthen and you will start to feel much more comfortable sitting and standing upright.
Proper posture and posture correction can have a huge impact on the way your back feels in the future.
With so many great living room chairs to choose from, you are probably having a tough time choosing the best at this point.
To make it a little bit easier for you to decide on the best chair, you can consider the following helpful buying guide. This guide is designed to guide you to the right chair based on your current need.
It is always good to keep the weight capacity of chairs in mind if you want to buy a chair that will last a long time.
Chairs with a low weight capacity might hold your weight right now but will give out and break much sooner than you might hope.
Chairs with a larger weight capacity tend to last a lot longer even if you are well below the maximum weight capacity.
First up we have the Canmov Power Lift Recliner because this recliner is flexible, comfy to sit in and it has a max weight capacity of up to 300 pounds.
We also love the wide back design of this recliner that is ideal for guys with big shoulders. The soft breathable fabric also keeps you cool in the summer and warm and snug during cold winters.
The Homall Home Theater Recliner is one of our top picks because this comfy recliner is designed to easily handle up to 350 pounds. The chair also looks fantastic and it comes in various great colors.
If you can afford the Esright Massage Recliner then you should definitely go for this chair. It has a 300-pound weight capacity and it will give you very relaxing full-body massages while you take a nap on it.
The GDF Studio Mason Mid-Century Recliner is a good pick for office spaces or your home living room because this chair can handle up to 300 pounds.
The stylish chair is an ideal investment if you want to eliminate the chances of being sued should a chair collapse.
It is usually very hard for tall guys to find a comfortable chair to relax in.
The back support of most recliner chairs is just too short which usually leaves your head dangling backward at an odd angle while your legs stick out too far at the footrest and cause your legs to go numb.
Luckily, we do have quite a few chairs on our list that are perfectly suitable for tall men. Here is a quick look at our top picks.
The Flash Furniture Multi-Position Recliner with Ottoman is our top pick for tall guys because this chair comes with a loose ottoman that you can place at any length.
With this ottoman in place, your feet will always be alleviated and there is no chance of your legs going numb. This chair can also swivel and it reclines so you can take upright naps for a quick break.
The Best Massage Recliner is also a good pick for tall men because it has a high back design and this fantastic chair will also give you lumbar massage since it has a built-in massage system with various massage modes.
The Homall Recliner chair also has a high back and a tall footrest that extends far out so you can sit back comfortably without straining your legs or neck.
We also love the tall design of the recliner chair by Christopher Knight Home. With the skinny design of this chair, you can easily fit it into your Living Room.
The Best Massage Sofa
There are two terrific massage sofas included on this list and both of these chairs are terrific for relieving back pain or for reducing muscle tension in your back.
The Esright Massage Recliner is by far our top pick because this fantastic chair has 8 built-in massage points.
Vibration motors on two massage points are designed to massage your neck, two are perfect for lumbar massages, two are great for massaging your upper thighs and the last two are perfect for massaging your calves. In addition to massages, this chair can also warm up your body or sore muscles because it has a built-in heat function in the lumbar region. It also rocks back and forth and can swivel 360 degrees.
If the Esright is too pricey for you then you can also consider the BestMassage Recliner chair. This one only has two massage points at the lumbar region but it does still offer various massage modes to choose from and can reduce back pain a lot.
The Best Office Chair
If you are looking for a living room chair that you can use to welcome your guests to the office then we are quite certain that most of the chairs on our list will do just fine.
But there are a few that do stand out from all the rest in terms of design. Here is a quick look at some of the best chairs to get for your office space.
The Glitzhome Adjustable Swivel Chair is our top pick because this comfy chair can reduce a lot of back fatigue while you work.
The chair is super comfortable to sit in, it has a neck support cushion, it swivels and it tilts back so you can sit with ease.
The Mason Mid-Century Modern Tuft Recliner is a great pick if you want to accommodate visitors at your office.
This chair is quite sturdy since it can handle up to 300 pounds of weight and you can choose from 16 different colors so you will find one that suits your office colors to perfection.
We also love the classic look of the GDF Studio Elizabeth chair. This chair has curved edges and a retro design and yet it is super comfortable thanks to thick padding and the fact that it reclines.
The Christopher Knight Home Toddman fabric chair is also a great pick if you are looking for a bold chair that will accent the style of your company. This chair doesn’t recline and does not have any footrests but it looks amazing.
The Best For A Home Set
With most of these chairs, you can create a full home set by simply investing in as many chairs as you need.
But if you want to save some space and create lots of seating then the Homelegence Renosance is a great pick.
This chair isn’t just available as an individual recliner, it also comes in the form of a two and three-seater so you can create the comfiest living room setup.
The Best Chair For Young Families
If you have a young family then it is always best to invest in a PU leather living room chair because these are so easy to wipe down. Whenever your kids make a mess on your sofa, you can simply grab a damp cloth and the mess will come right off.
There are quite a few suitable family chairs on our list like the Homelegance Resonance set with its bonded leather upholstery, the Divano Roma Furniture Recliner with its wide design, the Homall Home Theater Recliner with its high back, The Flash Furniture recliner and ottoman set, or the BestMassage Recliner chair.
But the best chair for young families is the Esright Massage Recliner. This recliner chair is easy to keep clean with its faux leather fabric, it has two cup holders where you can stash baby bottles, the chair has lots of pockets for stashing other baby products and it will give the exhausted mommy a good deep tissue massage while you are soothing or nursing your little one.
We also recommend this chair for parents because it can rock so you can soothe colic babies who have a tough time falling asleep.
We do hope that this guide helped you find a great-looking chair for your living room and we are quite certain that any of these chairs will be terrific for reducing your back pain so you can feel great after taking a nap or rest on these chairs.
If you are also in the market for other fine quality chairs for other parts of your home such as the best gaming chairs under $100 or the best reclining office chairs with footrest then you should check out some of our other guides where we compare other top quality products that you can choose from.
Best Living Room Chair for Back Pain – Are you constantly battling with back pain? Then you probably cannot wait to get home and lay down on your Living Room Chair after spending many long hours on the job.
It feels great to fall down into a comfortable sofa that offers you the needed back support so you can relax, get rid of some of that tension, and replenish your energy levels.
These chairs are also the best for those who love to watch a few series or movies on their off days.
Not all living room chairs are created with comfort in mind. We all remember those retro ball-and-clay sets with their upright designs and hard mattresses that leave you barely able to walk just a few minutes after sitting down.
These chairs might have looked good but they were a nightmare to sit on.
Luckily, modern sofas and living room chairs are nothing like those old designs. Today you can shop from a huge variety of chair styles that are specially designed to offer good lumbar support, reduce back and tailbone tension and offer you great comfort.