Best Office Chair for Petite Person – If you’re looking for the best office chair for a shorter person, you’re in the right place. We’re here to help those with a petite body structure choose the most ergonomically suitable office chair for them.
If you’re a smaller person (under 5’3” for women and under 5’8” for men), you know the struggle of spending hours in a regular office chair. Not only can it make your workdays harder, but it also creates more back problems.
So, what are the best choices for petite people out there? In this guide, we’ll look at some of the best office chairs for shorter or petite people. We’ll be closely paying attention to such ergonomic details as seat height, depth, width, and chair size.
Read on if you’re tired of sitting on uncomfortable chairs that aren’t made for your petite body structure. Here are the best office chairs for short people you can find on the market.
If you’re looking for exceptional comfort and minimalistic design, the Flash Furniture mesh back office chair will fit the bill and your office space.
This petite office chair features a ventilated curved mesh back with built-in lumbar support that prevents overheating. This doesn’t only help you stay fresh during hot days, but it also lets you keep a correct posture throughout your shift. Moreover, a 3-inch padded waterfall seat relieves pressure from the legs while providing cushioning for long workdays.
You can also set the chair’s height as low as eight inches from the floor, perfectly fitting your body structure. The list of goodies this office chair offers doesn’t stop here. You’ll also be delighted with padded flip-up armrests and a convenient footrest that will instantly take your workstation to the next level.
This Flash Forniture chair features a tilt lever that can be pushed in to lock the backrest in an upright position, or alternatively it can be pulled out to activate the rocking motion.
However, the only flow you might notice in this chair is that the height of the armrests can’t be adjusted. But at least you can flip them up, right? In any case, if armrests bother you or you’re just looking for a space saving chair, then you might want to take a look at the armless office chairs we’ve reviewed.
Pros & Cons
- If you're seeking exceptional seating comfort for yourself or multiple employees this ergonomic mesh back office chair will fit the bill. Everyone from the CEO to the front office staff will enjoy working in comfort with this office task chair.
- SAFETY & COMFORT: Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17. Ventilated curved mesh back with built-in lumbar support prevents overheating, 3" padded waterfall seat relieves pressure from the legs while providing cushioning for long workdays
- HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE: Pneumatic height adjustable 360 degree swivel seat, Tilt lever - push in to lock in an upright position; pullout to activate rocking motion, Tilt tension knob controls tilt resistance, Functional flip-up arms allow ease of access
- VERSATILE USE: Commercial grade material and quality creates a superior chair that can be used in home offices, commercial business work spaces, college dorm rooms and student study spaces in the home
- Note : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the Installation manual (provided in pdf below)
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 24.5"W x 25.5"D x 37.5-41.25"H. Seat Size: 20.25"W x 19"D x 17.25-20.75"H. Back Size: 17-20"W x 23"H. Arm Size: 26.25-30.25"H from floor; 8"H from seat
When you’re a petite person, a seat that can be lowered beneath 18 inches isn’t just a nice to have, but an essential feature. Our Honorable Mention goes to this leather executive office chair from AmazonBasics. In addition to creating a lux effect for any office setting, we like that that swiveling chair can adjust to as low as 16.5 inches for the seat height — making it one of the best ergonomic office chairs.
While this doesn’t feature the popular breathable mesh backrest, we do like that you get a 360-degree swivel function and that this chair is available in three colors — black, white, and brown. It also features one of the highest weight capacities from our research, with the ability to support up to 275 pounds. And as is common, this chair also features a five-spoke base with casters. Compare this model to the best executive leather office chair that is also able to support up to 275 pounds..
Pros & Cons
- Padded mid-back rolling office chair upholstered in durable polyurethane bonded (faux) leather
- Height-adjustable padded seat with adjustable seat angle, tilt control and padded armrests; perfect for home office, computer desk, guest work station or conference room
- 5-legged base with durable casters for smooth-rolling mobility; 275-pound max weight capacity
- Product weighs 26.5 pounds; assembly instructions included
- BIFMA Certified
- Chair measures 24 x 24.2 x 34.8-38.6 inches (LxWxH); seat width 20.1-inches, seat depth 16.5-inches, seat back height 18.7-inches
This office chair for petite people by Ergousit features an interesting butterfly shaped backrest design that not only enhances your overall comfort while sitting, but it is also made to fit most interior styles. More specifically, the S-curve back frame perfectly adapts to the human body, fitting the spine and ultimately allowing you to sit for several hours each day without experiencing any pressure or discomfort.
The chair has a ton of adjustable features included which help you find and keep a comfortable seating position. That’ll help you reduce back and neck pain. These adjustments include height customization, which allows the chair to go as low as 15”, and a rocking mechanism that lets the chair tilt from 90 degrees to 110 degrees. Plus, the curved headrest, made of mesh fabric, provides head and neck support while you work.
As for the seat cushion, included in the chair we found a thick cushion made of high-density foam that is supposed to keep its original W-shaped design to provide a larger support area while dispersing pressure on your hips and legs.
Last but not least, the breathable mesh used on the backrest enhances air circulation to prevent heat from accumulating.
As a negative note, we noticed that if you sit in the chair leaning all the way back the armrests might result too far apart to actually be 100% comfortable.
Pros & Cons
- 【High-quality Material and Breathable Mesh Back】: Our Komene office chair is made of primary cotton and responds intelligently to your body's idiosyncrasies. By supporting your body weight, height and even sensing your temperature, this home office chair will help you feel more comfortable when doing work that requires sitting for long periods of time. In addition, our desk chair has a mesh backrest that allows air to circulate so you stay cool
- 【Private and Versatile Adjustment】: Our ergonomic office chair features height adjustable folding armrests, breathable mesh backrest, height and angle adjustable lumbar support, flexible 360° swivel function, padded seat, rocking mechanism with tilt tension, sturdy air cylinder and sturdy nylon base and castors. You are free to choose the angle and height that suits you better
- 【Rolling Base for Easy Maneuverability】: Our mesh office chair can be freely adjusted in height to meet all your basic needs. This unique metal chair has durable castors and a sturdy base that allows you to move around easily and safely. The metal base has five multi-directional wheels that provide smooth movement in all directions and a very quiet gliding noise
- 【Space-saving】:The armrests of our computer desk chair can be folded up at will and pushed under the desk as an armless desk chair, making it very flexible and space-saving. Ideal for living rooms, study rooms, meeting rooms and offices. This office chair lumbar support is very suitable for users who do not have an armchair
- 【Easy To Assemble ＆ 2 Years Warranty】: Our office chair ergonomic is easy to install, as shown in the instruction, no other tools are needed, all parts are in the package, you just need to follow the steps to install. We offer 2 years after-sales service and professional after-sales service for our computer chairs. You can buy with confidence and don't have to worry about any damage or assembly problems
Things to Consider Before Buying an Office Chair for Short People
Are you tired of uncomfortable traditional office chairs and want to opt for a smaller chair that would provide you with ultimate comfort during the workday? Here’s what you need to know before you make the final decision:
What are the chair’s seat width and depth?
If you want to avoid constant discomfort, ensure that your chair isn’t too wide or too deep for your tiny body. Ideally, you’d wish the seat depth to be no more than 21-22″, and the shorter, the better.
What’s the chair’s seat height?
If you’re below 5,8”, then having a suitable seat height is a must. First, ensure your new office chair has an adjustable seat height to fit your petite body type. Ideally, you’d be looking for a chair that can go as low as 14 inches, or at least no more than 20”. However, if you don’t care whether your feet touch the floor or not, then you can go for any seat height.
Does the office chair have an ergonomic design?
If you truly care about your back, legs, and arms, you should opt for a chair that offers an ergonomic design for your height and helps you support a correct posture. Usually, such chairs feature adjustable lumbar support to help you feel more comfortable.
How much weight does it support?
While you can always buy a chair for kids to fit your shorter height, it doesn’t mean that the chair could support your weight. So it’s better to make sure the office chair you purchase is sturdy and durable.
Does the chair have a thick-padded cushion?
You might weigh less than taller people, but it’s still important to have a thick-padded cushion to sit on during your 8-hour workday. We also suggest opting for waterfall or curved seat cushions to decrease the pressure on your legs.
What type of backrest does the chair have?
Usually, you’ll come across mid-back petit office chairs as they’re more suitable for shorter people. However, some well-designed smaller office chairs can also have a high back and a headrest. So it’s really up to you and your preferences.
Is the chair compact?
If space is an issue for you, then you should opt for a chair with flip-up armrests or adjustable armrests. This feature will let you easily push it closer to the desk and make your home office look more spacious.
How adjustable is it?
If you have very particular preferences for your office chair and sitting arrangement, it’s better to choose a chair with as many adjustable features as possible, including seat depth and height, back height, tilt tension, etc.
What is it upholstered in?
Do you prefer a breathable mesh, textile, faux leather, or genuine leather petite office chair? This specification might affect the price, but it mostly depends on your preference and interior design requirements. As long as you ensure that the upholstery material is durable, you should be satisfied with your new office chair for short people.
Is the chair multifunctional?
If you like to use your office chair as a gaming chair or as an extra chair around the house, it’s always a good idea to go for a chair that can serve different purposes. This will save you from spending more money on buying other chairs.
The Benefits of an Office Chair for Short People
Choosing an ergonomic chair for short people isn’t always the same as selecting a regular office chair. Office chairs for a petite person offer some specific benefits than can greatly improve the overall comfort for short people and that’s why here we’ve listed some of the main pros that come with this kind of chairs:
- Wide range of adjustments: Ergonomic chairs for short people usually include a wide range of adjustments that allow the users to customize features such as the seat tilt or armrests height.
- Adjustable height: One of the most important benefits is the option to adjust the chair’s height. By adjusting the height, a short person can lower the chair as they see fit.
- Adjustable seat depth: Seat depth is often overlooked, however it is an essential part of your comfort because if the seat pan is too deep it might result in circulation problems for short people.
- Lumbar support: When talking about office chairs, lumbar support is always important as it allows you to keep a healthy posture when sitting.
- Armrests’ width: A petite person might find a chair’s armrests to be too far apart, resulting in an uncomfortable working experience. To solve the problem, some chairs let you adjust the armrests’ width.
Is a Petite Office Chair Worth It?
Picking a good office chair for short people can take a while. However, once you lay your eyes on one of the chair models, make sure you check its seat height, width, and depth. If the chair is too big for you, you’ll feel discomfort throughout your workdays and have less motivation and energy to finish your daily tasks.
Of course, there’s no single best office chair that would fit every petite person. Yet, it’s still possible to find the one that would be the most comfortable for your tiny body type.
We hope that our comprehensive guide to the top nine best office chairs for short people will help you better understand all the main chair specifications and make the right purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.
What is a good seat height for short people?
If you’re around 5’6” then you should look for a seat height of 16”, while if you’re 5’2” you should try to go for 15”. In case you’re shorter than 5’2” then we recommend a chair that can go as low as 14”.
I like a chair but it doesn’t go as low as I need. What can I do?
If you fell in love with a chair that can’t be lowered as much as you need then that’s not an irresolvable problem. If the chair’s height doesn’t quite suit your needs, you can always use a footrest to make sure your feet won’t dangle off the ground.
What is a good desk height to fit a chair for short people?
When talking about chairs for petite people we must not forget that another important factor is the height of your desk. Generally speaking, when typing on a computer you want your desk to be about 8” higher than your seat height. This means that if your seat height is 15” your desk should be around 23” high.
Your desk height is another really important factor. You want your typing height to be about 8 inches above your seat height. If you are going to use a chair at 16 inches, then your desk needs to be able to go as low as 24 inches to accommodate an ergonomic position. Standard desk height is 30 inches, so there is quite a big difference there.
There are a few ways to help you accomplish this. The first is to go with the footrest discussed above. This can close the gap by a few inches by bringing your chair height closer to a standard height desk. The second is to get a height-adjustable desk that can lower to a position that is below the standard desk height. The final option is to add something to lower your keyboard, like a keyboard drawer or keyboard tray.
The next thing to consider is seat depth. You want to be able to position the front of the seat to within 1 to 2 inches from the back of your knees. Most standard office chairs will have seats that are around 17 to 18 inches deep. This will be too large for short people.
If you are five-foot-six or under, you want to find chairs with minimum seat depths of 16 inches or less. Chairs with an adjustable seat depth range as low as 15 inches will be the best options to go with for this category.
The armrests will be another important factor to consider. You want to be able to hang your arms naturally at your sides and then place your elbows at a 90-degree angle. You do not want to have to angle your arms outward to reach the armrests. This can put unnecessary strain on your shoulders and neck.
Standard office chair arms will typically be about 17 to 18 inches apart. If you are under five feet six inches, you will want to look for arms that have a minimum width of 16 inches or less. For those of you in the five feet and under range, then arms as narrow as 13 inches will probably be what you want to look for.
Height is the second thing to look at when it comes to the armrests. You really want to make sure that the arms on the chair you want to buy have a range that will work for you. People that are under five feet six inches will want to have their arms about 9 inches above their seat to be able to achieve that 90-degree elbow angle. People who are five feet tall or under will want a minimum arm height of 7 inches or less.
Be careful when buying chairs with headrests if you are a short or petite person. We have found that headrests will often be in an awkward position for short people. Many headrests are designed to fit into the curve of your neck. If you are too short to use them properly, then the headrest just ends up pushing the back of your head forward.
The same thing can happen on chairs with more standard headrests. If you are too short to reach the intended headrest, then the chair will not be comfortable because it was not designed to fit you properly.
If you really want a headrest, then look for chairs that were specifically made for short people that also offer a headrest option. This should ensure that the headrest was designed for short people and will give you the best chance that it fits you properly.
Best Office Chair for Petite Person – Most office chairs are built to accommodate an average frame. If you are petite or short in stature (under 5’3” for women and under 5’8” for men), your so called ergonomic chair could be exacerbating your existing aches and pains – or potentially creating new ones.
In this guide we take a look at all the important ergonomic factors that short people need to focus on when picking an ergonomic chair, followed by a comprehensive list of the best office chairs for short people. All of these chairs are appropriately sized in the key areas that make all the difference for short people, from seat depth, height, to seat pan width.
Please note that we will be using terms such as “short”, “shorter” or “petite” to describe people that are under the statistically average height for men and women. This post will not focus on chairs for little people, or people with dwarfism.
After conducting extensive research, we nominated the Flash Furniture Mid-back Ergonomic Office Chair as our Top Pick for the best office chair for short people. We liked this office chair because it’s an ergonomic mesh-combination chair with a breathable backrest with built-in lumbar support and a padded cushioned seat. The pneumatic height controls allow for seat height adjustment between 17 to 21 inches, and you can still adjust the arms and backrest too.