Best Office Chairs for Hip Pain – Hip pain is an unfortunate problem that can plague many office workers. It can be caused by a number of different things, but one cause of hip pain in office workers is sitting down for many hours on end.
This can become an even bigger problem when you’re sitting on a chair that is not ergonomically designed, and thus does not give you the right support and comfort.
So, now that we’ve shown you some of the best office chairs for hip pain, it’s really important to know what you are actually looking for in an office chair. Knowing what you’re looking for can be the difference between buying a great chair and one that’s pretty much useful to you
Without further ado, here are some things to consider when you are looking for the best office chair for hip pain.back to menu ↑
- Live Lumbar technology contours to fit your spine for continuous lower back support as you move in your chair
- Arms telescope in and out, move forward and back, pivot and adjust up and down so you can find a natural position that comfortably supports your needs
Reading through the features and specifications on the Steelcase Leap and Amia chairs, you may wonder what the differences are, besides aesthetics and price. Both chairs feature a stylish design, exceptional upper and lower back support, a sliding seat, and intuitive controls. Either one is a great choice for keeping you comfortable, but understanding the differences will help you make the best choice for your needs.
If you’ve browsed the ergonomic chair section on our site, you’ve probably noticed that the Steelcase Leap Chair costs a few hundred dollars more than the Steelcase Amia Chair. But is the Leap a better ergonomic chair? Can you get the same comfort and support the Leap Chair offers at a significantly lower price point with the Amia chair? Let’s explore the differences between the two, and we’ll also find out what Human Solution’s CEO and professional ergonomist Jon Paulsen has to say.back to menu ↑
- ERGONOMIC S-CURVE DESIGN : A chair that adequately supports the spine and maintains the S-Curve is a good chair. Selecting a chair that properly supports the back with proper lumbar support is crucial for a healthy spine.
- EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE : We care about your convenience. With all levers placed where your hands can easily reach, you can easily adjust the forward tilt and seat depth as well as the armrest and the headrest as you wish. Simply personalize the chair to your preference.
Among office-style ergonomic chairs, there are three price classes. In the top tier are pricey Herman Miller, Steelcase, and other models costing over . Those models offer the most robust ergonomic and longest warranties in the industry.
The next price tier down offers mid-range chairs for between $350 to $600. Among the best chairs in this class, we rank the Sidiz T50 third. It’s one of the cheapest models, but also one of the most full-featured.back to menu ↑
- BREATHABLE MESH EXECUTIVE CHAIR: This stylish work chair's Ilira-stretch mesh seat back and sandwich mesh cushion with two layers of padding keep your body happy and cool so you can concentrate on work
- CUSTOMIZABLE: This Ignition Series task chair's customizable back recline, back height, and seat positioning will support you no matter who you are, how you work, or where you work
The HON Ignition 2.0 Office Chair has a lot of great features, but the additional cost for lumbar support, the difficult assembly, and mixed opinions on overall comfort for long-term sitting make this one hard to recommend over other options.
Today’s modern office settings require far more than a basic office chair. People are now more concerned about their long-term health, so we now look for ergonomic chairs that offer better posture, more support, and greater comfort.
In our full HON Ignition 2.0 Office Chair review, we’ll explore the HON brand, the features this chair offers, the different models, and more. Everyone deserves a safe and comfortable office chair, so let’s find out if the HON Ignition Series is right for you.back to menu ↑
- Size B
The Herman Miller Aeron is the ultimate status symbol for C-suites. But what is it about this chair that makes it so desirable? There has to be something to justify its $1,000-plus price tag, right?
I used the Aeron for a few weeks to see if it was truly deserving of a spot on our list of the best office chairs. Read the rest of this Herman Miller Aeron review for the details, but here’s the TL;DR version: You can bet your ass this is one of the most comfortable office chairs around.back to menu ↑
- COMFORTABLE -Thanks to this state-of-the-art office chair’s numerous adjustable features you can be assured of finding a comfortable seating position just for you. You can adjust the headrest height and angle; the lumbar support height and depth; the armrest height and distance from seat; the seat height; the backrest tilt; and the tilt tension BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable.
- BREATHABLE MESH -The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
Choosing the right ergonomic chair for your office when you are on a budget is hard. Getting a potentially cheap chair means you’re saving money, but does that mean it is durable?
Considering the multitude of options in the market, we understand that choosing the right chair for your office is hard work – this is why we have done the job for you.
If you are looking for an affordable chair that can prevent poor posture and give your back the support it needs, then Cedric Ergonomic Mesh office chair is your best bet.back to menu ↑
Best Office Chairs for Hip Pain – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
Weight Capacity and Chair Size
If you are looking for a good office chair to help you with your hip pain, then it’s absolutely pivotal that the chair is able to properly handle your weight.
All chairs have their own maximum weight capacity. While one chair may be able to suit someone of an average body size, another may be able to support someone between 250 and 300 lbs.
Image via Amazon
And certain chairs, such as big and tall office chairs, are engineered to exceed those capacities, sometimes allowing for weights in excess of 400 lbs. These chairs are built to provide sufficient long-term support depending on the weight of the user.
If you are too heavy, then the chair will not provide ample support and you may compensate by sitting with poor posture, which can result in increased hip pain over the long term.
Also, make sure you find a chair that is the right size. Usually, with any good task chair, you can adjust the height of the chair so it’s comfortable enough. But, to be sure, you should be able to sit with your feet flat on the ground and knees close to a 90-degree angle.
If the chair is too high, you may put more pressure on your hip joint, as your legs will dangle of the edge of the chair. If it’s too low, you will sit with poor posture and a shorter hip to knee angle that can cause tightness in your hip flexors.
When you want to sit with a broader hip-to-knee angle, which also encourages an upright and active posture, you should definitely check out a saddle chair.back to menu ↑
Seat cushioning is pretty important! Your chair should always be comfortable and should be able to give you the support that you need. Look for dense foam or memory foam cushioning that will remain comfortable but firm over the course of an average work day.
Ideally your office chair should also come with a waterfall edge seat design. With this design, the end of the seat is not as sharp. Rather, it is curved to reduce pressure on the bottom of your thighs, which can improve comfort, and most importantly, circulation.
If you need a specific type of cushioning for a specific therapeutic need, such as to relieve sciatica or during pregnancy, you might want to look at a donut shaped chair cushion. These types of cushions can improve blood circulation and relieve hip or back pain that comes with sitting for hours on end.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questionsback to menu ↑
Is Sitting on a Saddle Chair Good for Hip Pain?
Yes, sitting on a saddle chair can help prevent or eliminate hip pain. But, it takes some getting used to.
A saddle chair enables you to assume a riding style position wherein there is reduced load and pressure on the hip joints. The increased joint space decreases the compression in the hip joint cartilage. There is also more space for the nutritional fluid which enables the hip joints to stay healthy in the long run.back to menu ↑
There are many reasons for hip pain. According to WebMD, arthritis ranks as the most common culprit, though basically any type of repetitive strain on the tendons and ligaments that support the hips can lead to hip pain.
Whatever the reason, if you suffer from hip pain, picking a suitable office chair can go a long way in preventing your condition from getting worse. After all, most of us spend almost half of our waking hours sitting.