Best Office Chairs for Neck Pain – The most important thing in preventing neck pain is to maintain proper posture. As such, the key features in an office chair that are most effective in preventing and reducing chronic neck pain are ones that encourage a good sitting position.
If you work on computer then you definitely need to invest an a good ergonomic chair. As discussed above, Herman Miller Chairs are top notch as they are backed by years of research and testing (see here) but if it is out of your range, we’ve covered a whole lot of others so make sure to keep this when making a purchase.
There are a few specific features that might help you pick the best home chair for neck pain.
1.Office Chair Neck
- The product can be lifted up and down and the headrest can be turned over.
- 2.This product can relieve your cervical pressure.
- 3.Due to manual measurement, there may be an error, please understand.Thank you.
- If the backrest has a sponge, measure the thickness of the backrest after pressing.
- If the backrest sponge is too thick, it cannot be mounted with the fixed clips
Many cheap office chairs make you feel like you’ve been crammed into a torturous economy seat on a cross-country flight, but quality office chairs upgrade you to first class—they’re designed to support your body comfortably for the long haul.
We’ve researched dozens of office chairs, interviewed four ergonomics experts, and asked test panelists with a variety of body types to sit in deliberation for over 175 collective hours. And since 2015, we’ve found that the Steelcase Gesture is the best office chair for most people.
- 【Easy to Install & Uninstall】- You can build this chair up within 15 minutes with Allen wrench and simple illustrated instructions. It is also easy to disassemble.
- 【Comfortability】- Breathable mesh fabric and memory foam keep your body cool and comfortable for long-hour sitting.
- 【Adjustability】- Heights of seat and headrest can be altered simply. You can also adjust the angle of headrest, keeping your neck from soreness.
- 【Sufficient Support】 - Ergonomic design corrects your sitting posture, avoiding pressure to your body. Added pillow on the back helps to relieve pain and fatigue.
- 【Durability】- Our products are made of high-quality materials in exquisite craftsmanship. Sturdy and durable with a weight capacity of 250 pounds.
The Smugdesk High Back Ergonomic Office Chair comes with an attractive design, some adjustable features, and a budget-friendly price.
The nicest thing about the chair is its cushioned seat made with high-density memory foam and mesh material on top. This allows you to get both comfort and breathability at the same time.
3.Homall Gaming Chair
- Selected Material: High density shaping foam, more comfortable, elasticity resilience and service life. 1.8mm thick steel frame, more sturdy and stable. Pu Leather, skin friendly and wear resisting.
- Upgraded Configuration: Class 3 gas lift, durable, reliable and supports up to 300lbs. Rubber casters, rolling quietly and tested by 1000 miles rolling.
- Multi Function: 360 degree swivel and multi direction wheels, load capacity: 300-pound maximum weight capacity. Recline function. Between 90 to 180 degree. Rocking function: chair can rock back and forth when you adjust the knob beneath the seat.
- Dimension: Size of back: 22.5 inch and 30.5 inch. Size of seat: 14.5 inch and 20.5 inch. Seat adjustable height: 17.3 to 21.5 inch.
- Wide Usage: This gaming chair is suitable for you to play computer games, watch show, do the work and have a rest. It will make your space more modern and elegant.
Homall makes racing-style ergonomic gaming chairs. They are comfortable, cheap, and ergonomically designed to support good posture. Used at a desk, they provide comfortable support for light office work, gaming, or relaxing.
On Amazon, the original Homall chair has over 39,000 customer reviews and a 4+ star rating. Buyers rave about its comfort, style, and excellent value.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FLIP-UP ARMREST】- Folding the armrests up, you can push the executive office chair directly under the desk to use more area. It's easy to raise or lower the folding armrest by pressing the black buttons on the armrest.
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】- The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfy. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, it makes the high back computer desk chair good for sitting for 4 ~ 8 hours, perfect for a long day sitting.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & WARRANTY】- All ergonomic office chairs come with 2 years warranty, so please email us directly, we will offer you effective solutions ASAP. With clear instruction and tools, the office computer chair is easy to assemble (about 15~20 minutes). PU mute wheels roll smoothly, no harm on wooden floor; the sturdy five-pointed base and chair frame add durability and stylish appearances.
The Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair is popular among people who practice chair yoga, as it features an armrest design that enables you to stretch sideways in a range of yoga poses. It has made our round-up of the best ergonomic office chairs for people who want to enjoy the benefits of a full body stretch at their home office desk, but the Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair isn’t without its drawbacks.
Working at a desk for several hours a day can often lead to aches and pains. That’s why it’s always recommended that you move and stretch at regular intervals. Chair yoga helps keep your neck, shoulders and spine flexible, but doing these stretches is not always possible in some office chairs as the arm rests, swivel function and high seat-backs restrict how much you can move.
5.Livinia Ergonomic Chair
Adjustable headrest for support of head to effectively protect your neck. This mesh office chair with armrest and seat height adjustable means you could quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable. Pulling out on the control handle, which allows your chair to tilt back, and push the control handle in to prevent it from tilting, the adjustable seat easily adjusts to your needs with height.
This adjustable task chair have good ventilation and will not deform after long-term use. It is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, stable armrest, headrest and urethane caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor.
Best Office Chairs for Neck Pain – BUYER’S GUIDE
Head and Neck Support
Let’s start with the most obvious – head and neck support. There are two types of neck support commonly found on ergonomic office chairs.
The first is a fixed headrest that spans the width of the entire backrest. Typically found on executive office chairs, it consists of a protruding pillow that can be very comfortable, provided it is the right height.
The second type of neck support comes in the form of an articulated headrest that is shaped and curved to conform to the user’s cervical spine. If you have neck pain, it’s vital that any articulated headrest is at least height adjustable to support the exact region of your neck that needs extra support. Otherwise, it could exasperate your condition.
The lower part of the spine naturally curves inward to create what is called the lordotic curve. A lumbar support fills in the gap between the backrest and the spine to prevent slouching, which can lead to a forward head posture over time.
Look for a chair with a good lumbar support, which can greatly help prevent postural problems that cause not just neck pain, but shoulder and back pain as well.
There are three types of lumbar support that can be found in office chairs:
- Fixed Lumbar Support: Typically found on lower end chairs, it cannot be adjusted to better fit the user.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: For this type, the height, depth, or firmness of the lumbar support can be manually adjusted.
- Dynamic Lumbar Support: The best out of the three, it automatically adjusts its depth and firmness depending on your position.
A lumbar support depth of 0.6 to 2” is sufficient for most people. However, since women have a more pronounced lordotic curve, a better choice for them would be an office chair with a deeper lumbar support. If you’re on the tall side, a taller lumbar support is ideal.
When talking about neck pain prevention in the office, the armrests are probably one of the last things that you’ll think of. However, lack of arm support or poorly placed arms while working can lead to shoulder pain, which can then travel to the neck.
The proper arm position is such that the forearms are parallel to the desk surface, with the elbows assuming a 90 – 100 degree open angle. At this position your arms and shoulders are most relaxed.
To achieve this posture, look for office chairs with armrests that are at least 2D (height adjustable).
Robust Seat Height
Another feature that you’ll want in an office chair for neck pain is robust seat height control. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), a seat height adjustment range of 15 to 22” works for most people. The reason for this as it relates to neck pain is the same as armrest height adjustment.
When your desk is too high, you move your shoulders up and raise your hands, wrists, and forearms to reach the right height. However, staying in this position for too long will strain your neck muscles and eventually cause headaches as the suboccipital muscles at the bottom of your skull get fatigued.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Sleeping On These Chairs Cause Any Health Problem?
The chairs we have listed are designed to help alleviate neck pain in those who spend long hours in a sitting position, and not for people to sleep in it. Also, sleeping in a chair in a sitting position or even with the backrest reclined to 180° is not ideal. However, people who suffer from health conditions, such as GERD, prefer sleeping in a reclining chair as it helps relieve symptoms suffered because of the ailment.
If you suffer from an ailment that makes sleeping in a regular bed difficult, then you can consult your physician and seek advice on sleeping in a reclining chair.
The chairs on our list may also be called ‘office chairs,’ although you can use them at home to play video games and watch movies. These ergonomic chairs are available in a variety of colorful designs and shapes, so choose one for your work area or home, keeping in mind the aesthetics of your interior. We hope this list helped you find the best office chair for neck and shoulder pain at a great deal.
There are many reasons why you experience neck pain at work, one of them being your office chair. A chair without a headrest or one that is poorly positioned can add tremendous stress to the cervical spine, leading to neck pain over time.