Best Office Chairs for Scoliosis – Ergonomic office chairs for scoliosis sufferers are limited, but they are out there. Most office chairs come with multiple adjustable features, although people who want a highly-customizable chair might be spending a few thousand dollars.
Such chairs are built to last though, so prospective chair-buyers should look at these purchases as an investment in their general health and wellbeing.
Now that you have read this article on the best office chairs for scoliosis, it is left for you to make your choice and select the one that best suits you.
For me, I will say the best office chair for scoliosis is undoubtedly the Aeron, but it might not be practical if you are working on a budget.
Pros & Cons
- ★ 【Features】Adjustable head restraint allows the neck to lean easily and comfortably, adjustable lumbar support bracket for free adjustment of height depth, 3D adjustable armrest for different office applications, 90°-120° arbitrary backrest adjustment for multiple work positions, any switch 10cm lift, 360 ° Freedom to rotate freely 3D handrail.
- ★ 【Ergonomic design】SIHOO is recommended by Ergonomics Application Association. SIHOO's ergonomic design is based on the human body dynamic digital model. The ridge backrest and the human spine are exactly the same. The close fitting helps release the spinal pressure. The flow waterfall arc seating design Thigh support is comfortable, SIHOO will make you more comfortable
- ★ 【Material】The aluminium base is steady and durable,having good bearing quality. The silent castors move freely without noise. Double-back-frame design is steady and durable.
- ★ 【Design】SIHOO is the crystallization of the common wisdom of many professionals in human body, physiologist, product designer, mechanical engineer，does its best to make every step comfortable and safe for every customer. Every small part has strict safety quality testing. Cushion impact test, handrail fatigue test, chair foot static pressure test, in line with the strict standards of office chairs.
- ★ 【warranty】Product warranty period is one year. If there is any quality problem, please contact us. After confirming, we will change the accessory for you. We promise to provide you with zero profit product accessories within three years of the warranty period.
With an ergonomic design and mesh back, it’s not only designed to look good, but to be comfortable too. There are heaps of ways to adjust to make sure your posture is correct at home, while the breathable mesh back is supportive and also makes small offices look larger, which is handy if your office is actually a make-shift nook in the spare bedroom, for example.
Thanks to the competitive price point, this chair is designed to be as easy on your wallet as your back, and you can compare its spec with designer brands in our best office chairs guide, or, if you’re looking for something to game in, then the best gaming chair guide.
2.Steelcase Gesture Chair
Pros & Cons
- Connect fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 4 position recline lock, shell back and seat, light/light frame color scheme
- All day comfort and back support - Gesture’s seat and back move as a synchronized system, following your body as you move throughout the day to ensure long-term support
- Quality & durability - designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
Overall, the Steelcase Gesture performed a bit poorer in our tests than we would have liked. Some of our judges absolutely loved this chair, while others found it to be fairly uncomfortable.
This mixed response kept it from claiming one of the top spots overall; however, it’s exceptionally adjustable, did very well in our durability test, and essentially arrives completely assembled.
3.Serta Hannah Microfiber
Pros & Cons
- MICROFIBER UPHOLSTERY: Add a comfortable and homey touch to any home office
- SIGNATURE SERTA COMFORT: Swivel chair designed with a pillowed headrest and plush layered body pillows
- CREATE AN INVITING SPACE: Velvet soft fabric and neutral colors create a welcoming feel
- GREAT FOR WORK OR PLAY: Helps keep you comfortable and relaxed whether you’re working or kicking back
- VERSATILE AND MOBILE: Adjustable height settings, convenient swivel design, and rolling casters
- Seat Height : Min 18" - Max 21.75"
Available in either fabric or bonded leather upholstery, the Serta Style Hannah Microfiber Office Chair is a mid level executive chair that will help ensure that you’re able to sit through those long hours at the office and still remain productive.
The chair is mainly made out of soft layers of body pillows that give great mid and lower back support, and it is for this reason that the chair is a strong contender for the title of best office chair for scoliosis. Whether it’s the best office chair for short people is still up for debate, so make sure you get to the end of this review to see whether or not it might be the next purchase for you.
4.SP Velvet Chair
Pros & Cons
Abbreviated as SP, Seating Plus is a well known supplier of both mid back and high back office chairs, and the flip up arms executive computer chair is just one of the many that are available in their wide catalogue.
This immaculate office chair offers a number of innovative designs that are meant to allow you to stay relaxed and comfortable while you work, while offering that much needed lumbar support that allows for you to sit through long durations on your office desk. The desk chair may not really be the best office chair for tailbone pain, but it does have a number of good features that help keep your spine in good shape.
Pros & Cons
- PREMIUM CUSHIONING: Ergonomic office chair with memory foam cushions that contour to your body
- SOLID WOOD ARMS AND BASE: Durable and stylish construction with premium wood
- WATERFALL SEAT EDGE: Helps reduce leg pressure and promote circulation
- EXECUTIVE STYLE: Brown bonded leather upholstery and darkly stained wood complement any classic office space
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Fully adjustable height, recline, and tilt settings; 250-pound weight capacity
La-Z-Boy is well-known for their recliners, but over the years, they have expanded to include much more, such as mattresses, sofas, accent chairs, loveseats, beds and bedroom sets, and more.
While most customers think of them as pricier than most discount stores, they offer a higher value than most for the price, which extends to their full catalog. Overall, customers have good things to say about comfort and delivery, with some exceptions around perceived quality and durability.
Best Office Chairs for Scoliosis – BUYER’S GUIDE
If a chair’s seat pan is too wide or deep, it will leave the user with their feet dangling off the floor like a toddler in a high chair. This causes circulation issues as the front edge of the chair cuts into the soft tissue underneath the legs.
For people who want optimal lumbar support, we recommend a seat depth of less than 18 inches, with an adjustable option, so that it can be further customized for you.
Measure the seat from the tip of your buttocks to the backs of your knees to get the correct size. Ideally, there should be 2 inches of space between the back of your knees and the front of the seat.
The average office chair is retractable to between 18-22 inches. If you are shorter, you should be looking for a chair that can be lowered further than this!
If your chair is limited in terms of height, you might want to consider investing in a footrest, which will elevate your feet from the ground and prevent circulation issues.
You can find out the correct chair height for you by measuring the distance from the floor to the backs of your knees. Remember to take the thickness of your shoes into account before you start measuring though.
A Tilting Backrest
Ensure that the back of your chair can tilt forwards and backward. If the back of your chair leans too far back, it can result in an awkward reclining position that will increase pressure on your spine and knees.
Scoliosis is a malformed spine, with a larger than normal curve that will increase pressure on the shoulders and neck. Sufferers will also need a chair that gives them what is called a ‘neutral pelvis’, that is, a pelvis with a slightly forward tilt to it. This can be achieved by a proper ergonomic chair.
Lower back support is crucial for sitting for long hours, and you should ideally have a chair with an adjustable lumbar cushion or hump that can accommodate the bottom of your spine in several different configurations.
Adjustable armrests are also very important, as they should be adapted to the differing elbow-to-waist ratios of different chair users. Try and find padded armrests if you can, as harder plastic rests can pinch the nerves and result in repetitive strain injuries such as cubital tunnel syndrome.
If you are fitted with a comfortable office chair suited to your specific needs, you’ll find yourself less distracted by any pain that might be caused by a lower-quality chair. As a result, your focus will be increased and you might find that so will your productivity – something that might please your bosses as much as a reduction in pain pleases you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Sit In A Chair With Scoliosis?
With scoliosis, you don’t want to put unnecessary pressure on your spine, especially at the apex of the curve. Ideally, when sitting, you want your backrest locked in the 90 degree, fully upright position, as leaning back will compress the spine and cause further discomfort.
The best option is to have a cushioned backrest, as very often mesh can be too rigid. However, for some, a firmer backrest can provide the rigidity and support needed for easing the pain of scoliosis. You might want to try out different chairs at the shop before committing to buying. Then search online to find your best price.
You will want to opt for a wider chair base, one that accommodates you and lets you sit deep in the chair, flush to where the backrest meets the base. Some chairs might have a gap between these parts, which will cause bulging in the back and increase your pain levels.
What Else Can Help Me With Scoliosis?
Stretching before, during and after sitting will help alleviate scoliosis. So will leaning forward and backward for a few minutes to maintain that range of motion and encourage healthy blood flow to the areas that remain motionless during sitting.
Getting up and moving around on the hour will also help improve circulation and prevent muscle aches that develop because of compression and a lack of movement.
You might want to invest in a handheld electric back massager that you can keep under your desk to use regularly throughout the day. You can also buy electric massage pads that can deliver a small electrical pulse to the curvature where scoliosis occurs, relieving pain and relaxing the surrounding muscles. These pads are also fairly discrete and can be used while working.
Fortunately, with the wide range of chairs available on the market, everyone, from the office worker to the mom who stays at home with a blog, can get incredible comfort and modern convenience as easily as possible by simply pressing a button. In short, posture and support are essential for comfort, especially in conditions like scoliosis. Without them, the discomfort can affect our ability to work, focus, and be creative.
When you have scoliosis, you need to sit in a good position to release the pressure on the vertebral discs. This reduces tension in the back muscles and degeneration of the discs.