Best Airplane Headsets – You should also consider microphone boom adjustability. Some models have a fully adjustable boom that allows for precise placement, some may just have a hinge or two that let you move the mic closer or further from your mouth, and some may not be adjustable at all.
A pilot, our headsets protect our ears and allow us to communicate with ATC and other pilots. We can even use them to listen to music.
We’ve talked about what to look for in an aviation headset and have shared the top 10 that made the cut for us.
Another nice feature some models have is a boom that swings all the way around. This allows you to wear the mic on the left or right side to suit your preference. As with headband adjustability, the more adjustable its microphone boom is, the more likely that aviation headset is to fit you comfortably.
- 30% greater active noise reduction than conventional aviation headsets
- 30% less clamping force than conventional aviation headsets
- Clear audio with active equalization.Automatically shapes and equalizes incoming signals for enhanced clarity and intelligibility
- Customizable audio prioritization control lets you mute an audio signal when receiving a communication, or mix the two together
- Connectivity technology : Wired
2.David Clark DC
- 5-year Manufacturer Limited Warranty
- Magnesium Alloy Headband and Suspension: Forward-thinking, ergonomic design provides a lightweight,
- Adjustable Suspension Assembly: Fully adjustable suspension assembly integrated with headband for
- Leatherette Head Pad: Ultra-soft leatherette head pad with breathable, vented design virtually
- Swivel Hinge Stirrups: Disperse clamping pressure for secure yet comfortable fit and allow headset
3.Lightspeed Zulu 3
- New contoured ear seals are designed to hug the curve of the jaw, reducing side pressure to get a more natural fit for more comfort and stability. These ear seals create 30 to 50 percent more space for the ear than other ANR headsets, a key feature of long-term user comfort.
- Zulu 3 is outfitted with new cables built around a Kevlar core, which are stronger, lighter, and more flexible than standard cables. The more durable cables complement the other premium materials used in the rest of the headset construction, including the magnesium cups, sliders, and the stainless steel headband.
- Retains the same award winning Lightspeed ANR and all of the most popular features of Zulu.2, such as Bluetooth for phone and music, Auto Shutoff, and ComPriority. It also has an exclusive user adjustable mic gain adjustment to get the audio and side tone just right for all voices.
- A taller head pad option ensures maximum comfort and performance on smaller head shapes.
- Backed by an industry-best 7-year-warranty from Lightspeed.
- Gaming-grade 2.4 GHz wireless connectivity
- Long lasting battery life - up to 30 hours
- Qi Certified for wireless charging
- HyperX custom-tuned 7.1 surround sound
- Game and chat, audio balance
- Signature HyperX comfort and durability
- Detachable microphone with LED mute indicator
- Customizable onboard controls
- 90° rotating ear cups
5.Telex Airman 8 ANR
- High-quality amplified electret microphone for clear voice transmission
- A strong stainless steel headband with metal pivots improves durability for long headset life.
- An acoustic limiter protects users against sudden increases in sound levels
- Fully FAA TSO C-139a and ARINC (Aeronautical Radio, Incorporated) requirements.
- 4.2 oz (119.07 g) (wearing weight)
- Lightweight, only 1 oz.
- ANR-like performance with up to 50 dB of noise reduction
- Auxiliary / Music Input
- Replaceable Ear Tips with Slow-Recovery Foam
- Unrivaled Sound Quality: Featuring a 13.4 mm dynamic driver which delivers impeccable sound with rich details, 1MORE ComfoBuds are skillfully tuned by Grammy Award-winning sound engineer so you can hear the songs in the way the artist intended them to be heard.
- Comfort that You Can Feel: The 1MORE ComfoBuds are ergonomically crafted with a semi in-ear design which envelops your ear canals in ultimate comfort while ensuring a secure fit. Feel nothing but the beat, with each earbud weighing merely 3.8 g.
- Four ENC Microphones: Save your phone calls from noisy environments with the four built-in (Environmental Noise Cancellation) microphones, which effectively suppress outside noise while amplifying your voice.
- Instant Pairing: Say goodbye to fussy pairing processes and hello to more music thanks to the instant pairing technology which connects the earbuds automatically (after initial pairing) with your device once you open the case.
- Auto Play & Resume: The infrared sensor will automatically pause music playback when you take the earbuds out of your ears and resume when you put them back on.
- ALL-IN-ONE HEADSET: In-Ear Canal headphones with Lightning connector. Features high quality music listening, transparent hearing mode, Active Noise Cancellation, 3D sound recording, immersive playback and crystal clear voice calls.
- HEAR THE WORLD: Stay connected to the world and hear what’s going on around you by activating the transparent hearing feature.
- SILENCE THE WORLD: Isolate yourself from the world and enjoy your music to the fullest. The Active Noise Cancellation mode allows you to block out background noise whenever you like.
- RECORD YOUR WORLD: Capture your moments exactly how you experience them. Thanks to built-in, high-quality microphones, you can easily record videos with perfect 3D audio.
- RELIVE YOUR WORLD: By replaying your immersive recordings, you can fully relive your memories as if you’re there again. Or share them with friends. Connectivity Technology: Wired - Lightning Cable
- Mono & Stereo Support with Built-in Y-block Switch on Cable
- Extra Comfortable Gel Ear Seals with Flexible Boom Mic
- 5 Year Manufacturer's Warranty on Headset
- Ultra soft, double-knit, 100% cotton material designed to absorb and wick moisture away
- Padded carry bag to protect with ballistic nylon material and soft inner cotton liner
Best Airplane Headsets – BUYER’S GUIDE
About the Microphone
The microphone is another aspect of these headsets that you need to keep in mind. You see, having a good microphone is essential due to the fact that you need to be able to communicate with others clearly. If you have a headset with a microphone that doesn’t have any noise-suppression capabilities, then you’re not going to be able to enjoy clear calls or communications. Most microphones will come with a sort of windshield or foam padding, but this isn’t going to be enough to suppress noises by itself.
If you want to have the best possible sound quality, then it’s a good idea to buy a microphone that has solid noise-suppressing capabilities. It should include some type of noise-reducing foam, and it would also be good for it to have a jacket over the foam. This can make the noise suppression of the foam more effective, and you’ll be able to communicate with greater clarity. Don’t forget that a high-quality microphone is every bit as important as good noise-reduction technology.
You Have to Pay for Quality
You might be tempted to try to save money by purchasing a headset that is inexpensive. There are some good budget options on the market. You can find some headsets that are under $200 listed above, and you’ll also find a good option that falls under the $500 range. Even so, you have to remember that you need to pay more to get a truly quality experience.
If you aren’t willing to put down some money on a high-quality headset, then you can’t expect to have a premium product. The less a headset costs, the further it will be from something that is truly top-tier. If you want the best aviation headset possible, then you’ll need to be prepared to spend a bit of money. Don’t be afraid to invest in a good headset, as it can truly enhance your flying experience and make your life as a pilot easier.
Test Headsets Out
It’s actually a good idea to consider testing headsets out before truly committing to a purchase. You can speak to most of your local pilot shops about what their return policies look like. This should present you with an opportunity to try something out to see if it’s a good fit for you. If you don’t like it, then you should be able to return the headset and find something else.
Part of shopping for a comfortable headset is about finding the right model that will suit your needs. Don’t hesitate to try out several headsets. You might feel like you’re being picky, but you really do want to find something that is ideal for you. Don’t just buy the first headset that sounds good when you have the option to test things out to see which ones you like best.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is The Different Types Of Microphones In Aviation Headsets?
After determining whether your prefer an ANR or PNR headset, the next thing to look at is the type of microphone a given model uses. The primary types of microphones used in aviation headsets are electric, carbon, and dynamic. Electric microphones are the smallest and lightest of the three. They make use of a charged, flexible diaphragm that is set a very specific distance away from a fixed plate. As a user speaks into the microphone, the sound waves vibrate the diaphragm, causing slight changes in its distance from the plate. These changes are translated into electrical signals and then transmitted as sound. Electric microphones are the most effective at canceling extraneous noise and interference.
The headset is one of the most important accessories and tools a pilot has in the cockpit. Hundreds of different headset models and brands are on the market today, but which one should you get? How much should you spend and what about ANR vs. PNR? Finding the right headset can be confusing, especially given the many different brands out there, promoting their newest models with all the usual bells and whistles. Let us help you make a well-thought-out decision!