Best Aviation Headsets for Student Pilot – Now that you know how to find the best aviation headset, we sincerely hope you are able to pick a good option and make an informed purchase. However, our favorite out of the lot is the Bose A20 Aviation Headset. Many 737 pilots also used this headset for its excellent noise cancelation, comfort and durability. Even though it is expensive, it’s worth purchasing if you are looking for a premium-quality aviation headset.
We sincerely hope you liked our guide on the best aviation headset options in 2021. If you have better suggestions or queries, please share them in the comment section below.
or an awesome aviation headset, look no further than the David Clark DC ONE-X, which is practically an industry standard. In use by the United States Air Force and Private contactors, this headset is second to none. But, if you’re looking for something more commercially viable with excellent noise cancellation, we recommend the Lightspeed Zulu .back to menu ↑
- David Clark Headset Bag, (2) AA batteries included
- Weight (without cord assembly) 12.3 oz
- TSO-C139a Approved
- Five-year warranty and 30-Day, money back guarantee, backed by industry leading customer service.
back to menu ↑
- 【MULTI-PLATFORM GAMING HEADSET】Mpower is a multi-platform gaming headset, which can connect to PS4 / XBOX ONE ( 2015 Version ) / Laptop / Nintendo Switch/ VR/ Mobile Devices via the 3.5mm audio+mic combined jack. The conversion cable with dual 3.5mm audio and mic jacks is for connecting to PC.
- 【EXCELLENT STEREO AUDIO】Mpower is equipped with 50mm speakers and makes the stereo sound powerful. The retractable and flexible microphone picks up your voice clearly and the big leather earmuffs provide an extreme noise-cancellation function.
- 【SUPERIOR USING EXPERIENCES ON MOBILES AND CONSOLES】Convenient in-line control is easy to adjust while gaming. The compatible L-shape jack at the end of cable makes it easy to put the hands in the right position with comfortable posture while playing mobile games.
- 【COMFORTABLE TO WEAR】The ear muffs are padded with skin-friendly leather, which feels extremely soft.This comfortable earmuffs and headband are breathable and skin-friendly to wear for a long while.
- 【Perfect After-sales Service】 Please kindly know that all the products would be checked or tested before shipping out to ensure a good shopping experience. We promised to bring the best quality gaming headset to our customers. We offer 18 months after-sale service to our customer.
back to menu ↑
- Stereo headset with unidirectional noise-cancelling microphone
- Uses a single 3.5mm plug connection and includes a dual 3.5mm Y-adapter
- Easy to clean leatherette ear pads
- Extra durable design and cable provide long lifespan for student and computer lab use
- Also good for business,enterprise, or personal use
- Connectivity Technology: Single 3.5 Mm + Pc Y-Adapter
back to menu ↑
- Adjustable Stainless Steel Headband to fit all flyers
- 5' straight shielded cord with Twin Plugs
- EM56 Noise Reflective Cup Microphone with stay put flex mic boom
- $20 Ballistic-nylon bag included
- 50mm Performance Audio Speakers & 24dB NRR* hearing protection
back to menu ↑
- Amazing Sound Quality : Providing customers with outstanding sound quality and satisfaction is our paramount goal. High definition stereo headphones together with advanced software and noise reduction technology are designed to reduce ambient noises. It is ideal for phone calls, music, and entertainment. Lose yourself in immersive music even in the lowest volume levels!
- Seamless Bluetooth Connection: TUINYO Wireless Headphones are compatible with all Bluetooth or 3.5mm plug cable enabled devices such as , Smart android phones, Tablet, Laptop, iPads, MP3/4 Player, Compuer, MacBook and other Bluetooth devices. Just slide the on/off button and the headphones will be in ready to pair mode. It is built to provide a quick and stable Bluetooth connection and to enable hands-free communication through our special noise reduction technology.
- Built for Comfort: The super soft memory-protein foam leather earmuff is designed to mimic human skin texture, ensuring lasting comfort and excellent durability. The foldable and stretchable design allows you to find the perfect fit without constraint. It also come with a protective Premium Case to reduce wear and tear. Tuinyo is the best Choice for Travel, Sport and Every day use by people from all ages.
- Amazing Stereo Hi-Fi Sound: TUINYO High Definition Stereo Headphones provide superb music and voice clarity. It is also compatible for playstation, xbox, PC gaming, music or TV (Bluetooth headhones) with rich low frequency and clear treble. It is ideal for audio lovers and gamers. Get started and become completely immersed in the music world!
- Long Battery Life & Dual Mode: TUINYO Headphones are Rechargeable. 450mAh battery, 14 hours of music time, 2.5 hours Fast Charging. You have the freedom to switch between wired mode or wireless mode without interruption. You do not need to worry about power shortage problem for the long travel. You are covered with 12 Months warranty and quick response & friendly customer service.
back to menu ↑
- 30% greater active noise reduction than conventional aviation headsets. Connectivity Technology: Wired/Wireless
- 30% less clamping force than conventional aviation headsets. The ergonomic control module includes an auxiliary audio input with intercom/AUX priority switching, ideal for dedicated GPS and traffic warning systems
- Clear audio with active equalization. Simple, intuitive headset operation plug it in, turn it on, go flying
- Now with Bluetooth audio and communications interface for connectivity with your communications and navigation devices
- Customizable audio prioritization control lets you mute an audio signal when receiving a communication, or mix the two together
back to menu ↑
7.Lightspeed Zulu 3
- New contoured ear seals are designed to hug the curve of the jaw, reducing side pressure to get a more natural fit for more comfort and stability. These ear seals create 30 to 50 percent more space for the ear than other ANR headsets, a key feature of long-term user comfort.
- Zulu 3 is outfitted with new cables built around a Kevlar core, which are stronger, lighter, and more flexible than standard cables. The more durable cables complement the other premium materials used in the rest of the headset construction, including the magnesium cups, sliders, and the stainless steel headband.
- Retains the same award winning Lightspeed ANR and all of the most popular features of Zulu.2, such as Bluetooth for phone and music, Auto Shutoff, and ComPriority. It also has an exclusive user adjustable mic gain adjustment to get the audio and side tone just right for all voices.
- A taller head pad option ensures maximum comfort and performance on smaller head shapes.
- Backed by an industry-best 7-year-warranty from Lightspeed.
back to menu ↑
back to menu ↑
- Lightweight, only 1 oz.
- Backed by Faro's legendary Three-Year Warranty
- ANR-like performance with up to 50 dB of noise reduction
- Auxiliary / Music Input
- Replaceable Ear Tips with Slow-Recovery Foam
back to menu ↑
- Mono & Stereo Support with Built-in Y-block Switch on Cable
- Premium Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24db for Hearing Protection
- Extra Comfortable Gel Ear Seals with Flexible Boom Mic
- Dual Volume Control on Each Ear Cup with 3.5mm Plug for MP3/iPhone/iPad/Android
- FREE Carrying Case Included!
back to menu ↑
Best Aviation Headsets for Student Pilot – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
Type of Aviation Headset
All in all, there are 3 types of aviation headsets on the market based on the amount of noise reduction they can provide. These include:
- Active noise reduction (ANR)
- Dynamic noise reduction (DNR)
- Passive noise reduction (PNR)
Let’s look at each type of aviation headset in a little more detail.
Active Noise Reduction Aviation Headsets
ANR aviation headsets actively cancel and reduce noises using electronic elements in the headset. The majority of ANR aviation headsets on the market are powered by a battery. They eliminate frequencies less than 300 Hz and block out unwanted signals.
Most ANR aviation headsets can achieve noise reduction levels between 10 dB to 20 dB. Therefore, they are popular among pilots.
Dynamic Noise Reduction Aviation Headsets
DNR aviation headsets are expensive versions of ANR aviation headsets. They provide excellent noise reduction and can be the best choice for pilots. The only difference between ANR and DNR aviation headsets is that DNR aviation headsets use digital electronics to eliminate unwanted signals.
DNR aviation headsets are typically lighter than the ANR aviation headsets, and more comfortable too. They can easily achieve noise reduction levels between 15 dB and 25 dB.
Passive Noise Reduction Aviation Headsets
PNR aviation headsets are typically cheaper and more cost-effective than ANR and DNR headsets. They comprise a special type of foam in the ear cups to block external noises and sounds.back to menu ↑
Comfort should be the second most important factor you should consider while looking for the best aviation headset. After all, you’ll be flying a plane and cannot afford to wear an aviation headset that is uncomfortable and heavy on your head. You don’t need such distractions while flying, right? So, ensure you buy an aviation headset that comprises cushioning on the ear cups and is not too bulky. Don’t forget; you have to wear your sunglasses too!
Read Also: The Most Comfortable Headphones in 2021 – A Comprehensive Guideback to menu ↑
The third most critical point to consider is the type of microphone in the aviation headset. Is the microphone amplified dynamic, dynamic, or electret? Ensure you check the compatibility of the microphone with your radio before purchasing the headset. Compatibility issues can lead to unclear communication during the flight.back to menu ↑
Type of Plug
All aircraft don’t support the same types of plugs. Therefore, ensure the aviation headset you are planning to buy has the correct plugs. Aviation headsets typically comprise the following plugs:
- 6-pin plug (LEMO)
- Airbus plug (XLR)
- Dual plug (PJs)
- Helicopter plug (U174)
Most of the aviation headsets on our list comprise dual plugs.back to menu ↑
Who doesn’t like extra features, especially when you are purchasing expensive headsets? If the aviation headset of your choice has the following additional features, you can buy it without thinking twice:
- Mono-stereo switch
- Volume adjustment controls
- Boom mic
Frequently Asked Questions
How do aviation headsets work?
Aviation headsets work like gaming headsets. However, they are more expensive and sturdy. Most of the aviation headsets are over-the-ear style and comprise a cable with one or two plugs. The dual plug models typically comprise one plug for the headphones and one for the microphone.
As already mentioned in the beginning of the guide, there are 3 types of aviation headers: ANR, DNR and PNR. However, the majority of the pilots prefer ANR or DNR aviation headsets as they provide excellent noise reduction. Also, ANR and DNR models are more expensive than the PNR models.
Pilots use aviation headsets to eliminate cockpit noise, reduce disturbance while flying, and communicate with the air traffic controller (ATC). The aviation headset is connected to the airplane’s audio panel. The amount of hearing protection required will depend on the aircraft you will be flying.
How to test an aviation headset at home?
You can test an aviation headset at home by connecting it to your PC or Mac. Most aviation headsets come with two plugs (one for the headphones and one for the microphone) and a mono-stereo switch. However, the plugs can vary from headset to headset depending on the flight you will be flying.
Ensure you switch to the stereo mode when testing the aviation headset on your computer. First things first, you need a PC adapter to connect the aviation headset to your PC. The adapter should comprise two inputs, similar to the inputs on the aircraft’s audio panel. The other end of the adapter should comprise the standard PC input jacks (one for the speakers and one for the microphone). Once you have successfully connected the aviation headset to your PC, you can test it using your favorite songs or use a flight simulator to evaluate features, such as noise cancelation, audio clarity, microphone quality and so on.
Why are aviation headsets so expensive?
Aviation headsets are costlier than regular headphones as they serve not just one but three purposes. They provide you with the utmost comfort when you are flying a plane, protect your ears from cockpit noises, and help you in 2-way communications using the intercom and communication radios. Not only this but they are also FAA approved (the testing adds to the cost), and more durable. Therefore, aviation headsets are much more expensive than regular headphones. They are one of the most expensive headphones on the market.
Can a gaming headset be used for aviation?
The simpler answer is “no.” Gaming headsets cannot be used for aviation as aviation headsets comprise input plugs of different sizes. Even though you can easily find gaming headsets that provide excellent noise cancelation like aviation headsets, you won’t be able to connect the regular gaming headset to the audio panel.
Can I use a Bose Aviation Headset as a regular one?
As already mentioned in the first question, you will need a special aviation headset PC adapter to connect the Bose Aviation Headset to your PC. Moreover, aviation headset PC adapters are expensive. We do not recommend using aviation headsets as regular headsets.
Why are ANR aviation headsets better than PNR aviation headsets?
First things first, ANR aviation headsets provide incredible noise reduction. Secondly, the noise reduction is targeted toward lower frequencies. Lastly, ANR aviation headsets are more comfortable and lighter than their DNR and PNR counterparts. However, they are more expensive.
What is the best aviation headset for student pilots?
We recommend the following aviation headsets for student pilots:
David Clark H10-13.4 Aviation Headset
KORE AVIATION KA-1 Premium Series Aviation Headset
We have already discussed both the aviation headsets in detail above.
What is the best noise-canceling aviation headset?
Per our experience, the Bose A20 Aviation Headset is the best noise-canceling headset on the market currently, followed by the David Clark H10-13.4 Aviation Headset.
Aviation headsets are designed to provide pilots with the utmost comfort, help in clear communication, and protect their ears from the loud cockpit noises. After all, pilots need noise-canceling headsets to eliminate even the minutest of background noises and concentrate on flying the plane. Therefore, if you are a pilot, you already understand the importance of purchasing the best aviation headset.