Best Headsets for Recording – Whether you need a comfortable set of wireless cans for your daily commute that can also be used for voice recording, or if you dream of being a full time podcast creator and need a headset that will deliver time after time, you’ll find a solution above!
Now that I’ve rolled out a few of my top picks and guided you on how to choose the right headphones, it’s time for a verdict. Since we have the best headphones for voice-overs and vocals in mind, it’s only fair that we favor closed-backs.
The former gets kudos for its utmost comfort and dynamics, while the latter provides a perfect bass response at a very reasonable price. The open-ear award is granted to the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Professional Open-Back for its spacious sound and ergonomic design.
Pros & Cons
- High ambient noise attenuation
- Accurate, linear sound reproduction
- Soft earpads for a comfortable fit
- Folding and rotating earcups for space-saving transport
- Tough, single-sided cable
Pros & Cons
- 【Updated 4D Surround Subwoofer】 ONIKUMA 2019 K5 Pro gaming headset for Xbox One / PS4 is equipped with highest grade 50MM driver, which offers a surrounding stereo sound field and build a vivid immersive gaming world for game players. Definitely an ideal pick for games like God of War, Halo 5 Guardians, Fortnite, PUBG, Call of Duty, CS:GO, Overwatch, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars Battlefront, or World of Warcraft Legion, etc.
- 【Ultra Multi-Platform Compatibility】 The Xbox One headset with 3.5m audio jack supports Xbox One controller, PS4 (Playstation 4) controller, PC, Nintendo Switch (audio), Computer, Laptop, Tablet, iPad, PSP, Mobile Phone, Nintendo New 3DS LL/3DS (audio), Nintendo 3DS LL/3DS (audio). Please note: An extra Microsoft Adapter (Not Included) is needed when connect with an old version Xbox One controller.
- 【Humanalized Design Built for Comfort】 ONIKUMA knows how important the comfort is for game players, so we have tested all kinds of PS4 headset for years and finally update our gaming headphones with mic to the optimal version, which is built to stay comfortable day & night! The retractable headband and softly padded breathable ear pad ensure play-all-night comfort!
- 【Adjustable Noise-Canceling Mic】 ONIKUMA gaming headset provides high-end communication with its 360° onmi-directional microphone, which picks up your voice with crystal clarity and isolate the noise. You could also control the volume and turn off the mic with the rotary volume controller and key microphone mute on the anti-winding braided USB cable.
- 【World-Leading Brand & Lifetime Warranty】 As the leader of xbox one headset industry, ONIKUMA has been favorably reviewed by more than 4 million customers. Every gaming headset with mic ndergoes strict quality checks. We always stand behind our products, so we deliver a lifetime quality warranty to ensure customers 100% satisfy. Totally no worries for you!
Pros & Cons
- High-efficiency magnets and pure alloy magnetic circuit design reduce distortion and ensure accurate and extended high-frequency response
- Carbon composite resin improves structural rigidity to provide detailed transient response
- Acoustically transparent, aluminum honeycomb-mesh housings provide a natural and spacious open-back sound
- Breathable fabric earpads and improved wing support provide long-wearing comfort
- Feather-light weight (approx. 210 g w/o cable) and robust construction make headphones perfectly suited for professional use
Pros & Cons
- Based on the award-winning PRO Gaming Headset design, the PRO X Wireless headset features high-quality materials, advanced communications, precision audio and total wireless freedom.
- High performance PRO X gaming headset with Lightspeed wireless technology, up to 20-plus hours of battery life and up to 15 m of 2.4 GHz wireless range.
- Next generation DTS Headphone: X 2.0 7.1 surround sound channel with object-based surround sound for greater positional and distance awareness of objects in-game.
- Advanced PRO-G 50 millimeter drivers deliver clear and precise sound imaging with improved bass response. Hear footsteps and environmental cues with clarity to give you the competitive advantage in game.
- Soft memory foam earpads with your choice of premium passive noise-canceling leatherette or soft, breathable velour for supreme comfort.
- Built to last with a durable aluminum fork and steel headband.
- Console compatible: PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 (USB wireless stereo sound only), Nintendo Switch (wireless stereo sound when docked)
Pros & Cons
- Professional studio headphones
- 3 m replaceable cable
- Audio Interface type: Stereo plug – 3.5mm (1/8-inch) with 6.3 mm (1/4”) screw-on adapter
Pros & Cons
- 20Hz-20kHz response
- 96 dB/mW sensitivity
- 9' cord w/1/8" plug
- 1/4" adaptor
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Impedance: 120 ohms
- Sensitivity: 96dB/mW
- Mic Range: 100 Hz - 20 kHz
- Jacks: 1/8" and 1/4" adaptor
Pros & Cons
- Delivers high-sensitivity & reduced distortion
- Ideal for gamers
- Features anisotropic ferrite magnets
- Freq resp: 18hz-20khz. Sound level - 103dB SPL/1mW
- Oxygen-free copper voice coils improve signal transmission & conduction for a clearer & louder sound
8.SteelSeries Arctis 7
Pros & Cons
- Designed for gaming, the 2.4 grams connection delivers rock solid, lossless wireless audio with ultra-low latency and zero interference
- Widely recognized as the best mic in gaming, the discord certified clear cast microphone delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation
- Sound is your competitive advantage with the s1 speaker drivers, engineered to produce ultra-low distortion audio so you hear every detail Effective Range: 12 m / 40 ft
- Immerse yourself in 360 degrees of precision audio with next generation DTS headphone: x v2.0 7.1 surround sound (pc only)
- 24 hour battery life gives you enough continuous play for even your longest gaming sessions; Compatible only with Pc, Mac, PS, Switch and Mobile; Headphone sensitivity: 98 dB
Pros & Cons
- Industry-leading noise canceling with Dual Noise Sensor technology
- Next-level music with Edge-AI, co-developed with Sony Music Studios Tokyo
- Up to 30-hour battery life with quick charging (10 min charge for 5 hours of playback)
- Touch Sensor controls to pause play skip tracks, control volume, activate your voice assistant, and answer phone calls
- Speak-to-chat technology automatically reduces volume during conversations
- Superior call quality with precise voice pickup
- Wearing detection pauses playback when headphones are removed
- Seamless multiple-device pairing
- Adaptive Sound Control provides a personalized listening experience
- Updated design relieves pressure for long-lasting comfort.
Pros & Cons
- 40 mm neodymium drivers deliver superior acoustic performance for an expansive soundstage with clear, extended highs and warm bass
- Closed-back, circumaural design rests comfortably over the ears and reduces background noise. Ergonomic dual-frame, padded headband is lightweight and fully adjustable for hours of listening comfort
- Lightweight construction featuring aircraft-grade aluminum alloy yoke and carbon fiber cap for enhanced durability
- Steel driver frame with vented center pole piece improves linearity and eliminates internal resonance for consistent performance at all listening levels
- Refer user manual for troubleshooting steps
Best Headsets for Recording – BUYER’S GUIDE
- Headphone sound quality – you want to be able to hear enemies coming as well as comms from your teammates. Headphones with 7.1 surround sound are the ultimate choice for immersion and spatial awareness
- Comfort – let’s be honest, you’re probably going to be playing into the early hours. We’ve all experienced hot and sore ears from wearing uncomfortable headphones for hours on end. Make sure to choose a headset with decent padding, and consider a suede type material to avoid sweat buildup
- Mic quality – noise cancelling tech in the mic itself is going to be important here, as the last thing you want to do is frustrate your teammates or listeners by having fan or keyboard noise in the mix.
- Functionality – do you need to be able to control volume easily, or perhaps have a simple way to mute the mic instantly? Consider what you’d like available at your fingertips, as the gaming headset market offers many choices!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are The Different Types of Headphones?
We all want a good pair of headphones. The most important thing to know before buying are the different types of headphone. This will allow you to buy the best headphones for your needs.
Click here for more headphone reviews.
Studio headphones are divided into three main types, closed backed, open backed and Semi-open backed headphones. There’s a lot of choice on the market, but never fear! We’ve covered everything you need to know about each type below. We’ll guide you that what purpose each type actually serves you. So without further ado, let’s get started!
Closed Back Headphones
With this type, the headphones are closed off from the outer part which means that the headphone cups are hardly closed. You might be wondering what’s the purpose of closing the outer parts, right? This is done so the headphone drivers output sounds in both directions, towards and away from your ears. Closed back headphones block the sound going away from your ears so you don’t hear sounds from the environment. Closed-back headphones cut away the outside world and let you concentrate on your work. The adverse effect of having closed back headphones is that they can harm your hearing if you use them for long periods of time.
Open Back Headphones
Open back headphones are opened from the outer side which means that the headphone cups are open to the world. Open-back headphones don’t block the sound going away from the ears. The benefit of having open back headphones is that your head is mixed with what’s going on in the real world. The ear cups are significantly larger than closed back headphones which give your ear a comfortable feel. Open-back headphones aren’t always ideal when you want to concentrate on your music.
Semi-Open Back Headphones
These headphones are designed to be a compromise between open back and closed back headphones. They tend to partially block the sound coming from the outside while letting some in through vents or openings at the outer ear cup. If you want to concentrate on your work while still knowing what’s going on around you, definitely pick semi-open-back headphones.
We’ve introduced you to three types of headphones which each offer unique features to the user. All you need to do is decide what will work best for your needs.
Which Headphone is Best for You?
Making music and recording tracks is not an easy job. It requires dedication and concentration. Different voices from the environment can affect your music quality. Closed back headphones have sealed air cups which cancel almost all noise from around you. Closed air cups don’t let the music escape into the environment, which means you can carry on with your work without disturbing others. These are the headphones you need for those jobs that require total concentration.
If you prefer to know what’s going around you and can still concentrate with minor distortions, you might consider buying an open back headphone. These headphones have open outer cups which means that you can hear what’s going on around you. The air cups are also larger which gives you the most comfort as well as a rich sound.
Now that you know the difference and what each type has to offer, you can choose the best headphones to suit your needs.
For over 60 years Sennheisers are engineering headphones to provide true soul given to the music. The same they have done with HD 660’s.
Natural spatial imaging, exceptional transient response, and high-quality open metal mesh earpieces are the main reasons behind the achievements of HD 600’s in the best open back headphones.
Best affordable close back headphones?
The more money you add the more the quality you get. Many users struggle to get a good headphone as they are lacking in bills. It’s hard to find a good headphone in a less flexible budget but doesn’t worry as we have got the best in less package for you guys!
ATH-M30x by audio technical is a closed back headphone within an affordable price column. The price range doesn’t really affect the product’s quality boundary. It’s equipped with 40mm drivers with rare earth magnet and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils for the crispiest yet clearest sound quality. Similarly, the headphone is tuned for enhancing details which provide an excellent mid-range definition.
Speaking of design, it has an advanced build quality and it can be folded for space-saving while traveling or for putting it in a case. Similarly, ear cups will cover your ears for the best noise cancellation to keep you going for what matters you the most. Headphones have an attractive design with a black finish giving them a neat and professional look.
These headphones are designed for studio tracking, mixing and field recording.
With an affordable price range, good specs and portability they are a great bang for your buck.
Best affordable open back headphones?
There are many options available in the market for open back headphones but you need a helping hand for choosing the best in less as open back headphones don’t have closed outer part which predicts that a bad choice can destroy your experience with open back headphones.
ATH-700x by Audio Technica is the real bad boys in the market. These headphones are specially designed for long listening sessions.
If you’re a gamer, starting a new recording project, or working from home, it’s important to invest in a great headset mic.
These types of microphones are really helpful when you want to capture high-quality audio without any hassle.
Headsets also make it easy to control various volumes levels with one hand – perfect for multitasking!