Best 61 key keyboard for Beginners – That’s pretty much it regarding budget keyboards.
I would like to share the main secret to mastering the piano, and that’s commitment. It doesn’t matter that you have an expensive digital piano if you don’t practice with it.
While the cheap keyboards we’ve recommended don’t have full 61-key, fully weighted keyboards, they are still great options for beginners. Just remember to practice with the right form and technique.
I hope this list helps you take the first step on your piano journey, and feel free to let me know your thoughts about your own favorite budget keyboards for beginners.
There are 61-key keyboards on the market for a variety of different needs. What’s best for a beginner isn’t necessarily best for a seasoned pro, or someone moving from an acoustic piano to a digital piano.
Our list of the best 61-key keyboards gives options for a wide variety of different users, providing detailed reviews of suitable options from the best keyboard brands.
- 🎹[Unique Folding Design]: The keyboard piano can be folded in half to 24.8"x8"x4.4" and its weight is only 4.4 KG, which is lightweight and portable. Equipped with padded hand bag, the piano keyboard can be pretected well and stored safely. You can take it to anywhere at anytime you want.
- 🎹[88 Touch Sensitive Lighted Keys]: The keys are crafted according to 1:1 ratio piano keys offering you similar finger touch and key depth to piano. The portable keyboard piano features 88 touch sensitive keys with keyboard lights, the volume of the keyboard depends on how hard you press the keys.
- 🎹[Multiple Functions]: The electronic keyboard piano with 1/8" sustain pedal, headphone, MP3, Mic Input and USB/MIDI input provides 128 tones, 28 rhythms and 21 demos. MIDI/USB interface makes it possible to connect to your computer to edit music and play all the piano games. It also includes split, teaching mode, dual voice, record, playback, chord, drum kit, metronome and transpose functions and so on for daliy practicing.
- 🎹[Easy To Learn]: The electric keyboard also has built in wireless connection allows you connect your devices like phone, PC or tablet with piano games Apps such as Garage Band, Perfect Piano, Pop Piano or online music lessons to make fun in piano learning.
- 🎹[Long Battery Life]: The electric keyboard has a built in rechargeable Lithium battery, which can be played up to 12 hours after 4 hours fully charged through power bank, computer USB or power strip. No need to worry there isn’t enough power when practice piano outdoor, at school, at show etc.
- The RockJam 561 keyboard piano super kit includes a digital keyboard with 61 full-size keys giving you that traditional piano feel whilst maintaining a portable and compact design that can be powered by either mains power (power supply included) or batteries
- This RockJam 561 piano keyboard features an LCD display panel that both displays and engages the 100 rhythms, 50 tones, teaching functions, and 30 demo songs that are part of its functionality
- The RockJam 561 electric piano has record and playback functionality allowing you to build layers to your sound.
- This music keyboard super kit package includes a keyboard stand that is sturdy in design and can be adjusted to suit keyboard piano players both young and old
- This electric piano keyboard super kit contains a padded seat that is easily folded and has a thick padded seat for hours of comfortable play
- MUSTAR Keyboards -- 61 keys piano keyboard which is specially designed for beginners. It comes with light up keys, USB MIDI, 9 Teaching APP,3 Step Education system, 500 tones and 500 rhythms, 65 demo songs. It’s a fun and inspiring keyboard for beginner musicians.
- 61 Lighted Keys -- Keyboard Piano standard size keys with lighted up function. This keyboard piano is ideal for beginners. One key mode, Follow mode, and Ensemble mode to help beginners quickly improve their performance ability and built a perfect music effect.
- USB MIDI Connection -- MUSTAR electric keyboard can be connected with smartphone/computer to download APP for more convenient teaching or playing. This music keyboard also allows for play of single-fingered and fingered auto-bass chords, with the capacity to select chord timbre, program/edit rhythm, as well as utilize effects such as transpose, tune,vibrato, sustain & ensemble.
- Dual Voice Mode -- Allows combine two Voices together, for eg, piano and drum, our piano keyboard will offer a rich playing experience. Double keyboard mode will split the keyboard into two parts which allows you to play different instrument sounds or timber degrees at once.
- Portable Keyboard -- Comes with a battery power option, light weight and compact, you can take the piano to anywhere for playing. Our piano keyboard bundle including USB MIDI keyboard, Music rest, Height adjustable keyboard stand, Headphone. Power adapter and USB OTG cables.
- 【Superior Sound & Portable】There are two 4-inch 20W high-quality speakers in DEK-610 electronic keyboard, which achieves three-dimensional surround sound, heavy bass, and warm tone, making your music performance better. And with the light piano body, it is portable and perfect for indoor or outdoor activities. Tip: The accessories are on One or Both sides of the white foam, in the embedded position.
- 【3 Elite Teaching Modes】Donner piano keyboard has 3 excellent teaching modes to help beginner get familiar with traditional piano and meet the need of different learning, which is perfect for beginners.
- 【Rich Music Selections】 DEK-610 music keyboard is equipped with a huge music library, with 500 tones, 300 rhythms, 40 demo songs, and you can create your own music or do band performances. A great choice for professional players.
- 【HD Display & Multiple Functions】Our 61 key beginner keyboard has an LCD display panel, which can show the running functions, and there are many practical and interesting functions to enhance your playing experience, such as auto chord, recording, keyboard drum, MP3 playing and etc.
- 【Support Multiple Devices】DEK-610 electric piano is designed to meet different usage needs. So it supports U disk(for MP3 playing), USB MIDI(for conecting to computer/tablet to use teaching apps or edit music), external audio(for extra audio device support), microphone(for sing), headphones and extra Sustain Pedal.
- Includes the YPT 260 61 key portable keyboard and PA130 power adapter
- 400 voices, 130 auto accompaniment styles with backing tracks, and 112 onboard songs
- Note: This item does not advertise a USB connection
- Yamaha Education Suite with 9 step lesson function; Aux input allows you to play along with music from a phone, tablet or computer
- Record and playback using the recording function. Number of Polyphony (Max.): 32
- 61 full-size touch-responsive keys
- 600 tones, 195 rhythms
- Class-compliant USB-MIDI
- 1/4″ headphone out
- Includes AC adapter (or 6XAA batteries, sold separately)
- 61-note MIDI Controller Keyboard with Aftertouch
- 5 Expression Control Inputs - Black
- 16 RGB Backlit Perfmance Pads
- 9 Rotary Encoders
- 9 Large Faders
8.Joy 61-Key Keyboard
- Simulation piano keys keyboard with 61keys and MP3 player function. Keys are specially designed as the shape of piano key, which make the electronic keyboard produce sounds similar to piano sound
- Includes 128 timbres, 128 rhythms, 8 percussions and 12 demonstration songs. Produces quality sounds and effects. Provides players with colorful and fantastic playing experience
- High-tech & high-quality LED display. Multifunctional LED screen. Sensitive reflects functions/effects chosen or guides correct notes to press in demo songs. Helps players better learn and control
- Multiple PATTERNS&FUNCTIONS. Single finger/ fingered chord/ Chord timbre, rhythm programming function, with USB flash Disk jack/ microphone jack/phone/output jack/ audio input jack
- Flawless, authentic range of sound: Built-in speakers offer tremendous sound, complete with 200 Timbres, 120 rhythms, 61 keyboard percussions, and 10 demonstration songs.
- Integrated learning system: Designed for beginner to intermediate-level use, this multi-function keyboard piano features 61 keys, providing a traditional piano or organ feel for versatile learning and an exciting acoustic experience. Keyboard comes with a complete set of transparent stickers to label the piano keys in order to simplify and accelerate piano mastery.
- Deluxe effects & features: Ideally suited to master finger control, this portable piano keyboard allows for play of single-fingered and fingered auto-bass chords, with the capacity to select chord timbre, program/edit rhythm, as well as utilize effects such as vibrato, sustain, & ensemble. Additional features include rhythm sync and fill-in, tempo adjustment, accompanying volume, and a master volume control.
- Record & playback, microphone and USB jack: Belt out in song or discreetly practice on headphones, along with the option to record and playback for improved performance. A headphone jack along with audio output and input jacks, microphone with 4' cord, and a USB jack is onboard for MP3 audio playback are all included.
- Easy set-up and adjustable stand: Ready-to-use right out of the box, just power with 6 AA batteries (not included) and take this compact, lightweight musical keyboard on the road or to lessons, or plug the US-standard 110 -120 volt power adapter into the wall for extended play sessions. A sturdy metal keyboard stand is included with a 7-position height adjustment from 12-3/4" to 38-3/4"; attached straps with screws can be used to fasten keyboard to the stand.
10.Plixio 61-Key Keyboard
- GREAT PRACTICE KEYBOARD: Can be used by children or adults and makes a great first musical instrument. Plixio's 61 key keyboard is lightweight and portable. Great for music lessons.
- DUAL POWER SUPPLY FOR ON-THE-GO PLAY: Customize the sounds of your music keyboard and play along with your favorite songs. Musicians that frequently travel can also utilize the dual power supply by using the included power adapter or 6 AA batteries for on-the-go practice.
- VARIETY OF SOUND EFFECTS AND MICROPHONE JACK: Each keyboard features 100 rhythms, 60 demo songs, 40 tones, 8 percussions, and volume or tempo control. Grab a microphone (not included) and turn your keyboard into a karaoke machine! Please note this keyboard does not include a USB port.
- INCLUDED COMPONENTS: Each keyboard includes a power adapter, music note sheet music stand, and auxiliary cable. This music keyboard also automatically comes with a full one-year warranty that protects against any damage or defects.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASILY PORTABLE: Weighing less than nine pounds, each piano is portable and easy to carry to music lessons or school. Dimensions are: 34” x 12” x 3.5”.
Best 61 key keyboard for Beginners – BUYER’S GUIDE
Keyboard vs digital piano
So what is the difference between a keyboard and a digital piano? Dedicated digital pianos are aimed more at people who want an alternative to an acoustic piano, whereas keyboards generally have more sounds and features and are lighter and more portable. Some sort of acoustic piano sound is nearly always top of the list of sounds that a keyboard comes with, but the quality of this sound will be an important consideration – generally, the cheaper the keyboard, the less realistic the piano sound is likely to be. Keyboards will usually have some sort of rhythmical accompaniment section with preset drum rhythms built in, and many even feature onboard tuition features such as illuminated keys and built-in songs to play along with.
Velocity-sensitive keyboards respond to how hard you hit the keys while playing, emulating the response of an acoustic piano – the harder you hit a key, the louder the note that comes out. It’s important to learn how hard to press the keys from the off if you’re seriously considering making any kind of progress as a player, so velocity sensitivity is an important item on your wishlist. It will also give you more accurate feedback for monitoring the development of finger strength and independence when practising.
When you’re starting out, your first keyboard probably isn’t going to sound as good as the ones the professionals use – after all, you wouldn’t shell out hundreds on a top-end keyboard if you’re not 100 percent sure that you or your budding pianist are going to persevere beyond Frere Jacques. Because of this, keyboards for beginners and kids can often skimp on sound quality, promising hundreds of tones that are all really just endless variations of one or two basic sounds. Our advice would be to go for keyboards with fewer, better quality tones. This will help you to achieve a better sound right from the start, inspiring the confidence to help you progress with your lessons. When you’re trying to learn piano, if it actually sounds like you’re playing a piano while you’re learning, you’re much more likely to stick with it!
Frequently Asked Questions
How many keys do you need?
Keyboards come in many sizes – a full piano keyboard sports 88 keys, while common alternative sizes for keyboards are 76, 61, 49 and 25 keys. When starting out, it’s best to go for something that can accommodate two-handed playing straight away, and for this you’ll need at least 49 keys, or four octaves. For this reason, all of the keyboards listed here have a minimum of 49 keys, except for one – the Yamaha PSS-A50, with 37 mini keys suitable for small children. Above 49 keys, more is always better, so go for as many keys as you have room for or can afford – a larger keyboard will be able to grow with you as your keyboard-playing adventures progress.
A 61-key keyboard can be a good option for beginners, it’s big enough for two handed playing, but saves on space and money when compared to buying an 88-key model. We’ve reviewed some of the best 61-key keyboards in this article from top brands including Casio and Yamaha. Some have great features for beginners, some are better for intermediate players.