Best keyboard for Transcription – Keyboards are important devices for transcriptionists as they tend to use them regularly, so choosing an appropriate keyboard is crucial. There are many keyboards available in the market that are designed for specific jobs like transcription – they vary in design, performance, price, features, and design.
The keyboards we have listed above are all highly recommended by transcriptionists and are incredible in performance, design, and speed. They offer accuracy, precision, and their intricate details make them ideal for typists.
Although we are confident that any of the above-mentioned keyboards would work well for you, we would recommend going over your own needs and preferences before making a decision. Choose whichever keyboard perfectly fulfills your wants and budgetary limit the best.
1.Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard
Pros & Cons
- Exceptional comfort. Work all day, with reduced risk of fatigue and injury, on our Ergonomist-approved design.
- Excellent support. Improved cushion and ergonomically tested palm rest covered in premium fabric provides all-day comfort and promotes a neutral wrist posture.
- Be more productive with built-in shortcuts, including dedicated keys for office 365, emojis, search, easy access to media controls, and more.
- Designed to last — Wired for reliable speed and accuracy.
- Crunch numbers Fast, with a dedicated integrated pad.
- Compatibility: Microsoft Windows 10, Limited functionality Windows 8.1/7 (Office and Emoji keys have no function)
Pros & Cons
- Perfect stroke keys: Spherically dished keys match the shape of your fingertips, offering satisfying feedback with every tap
- Comfort and stability: Type with confidence on a keyboard crafted for comfort, stability, and precision
- Smart illumination hand proximity detection and automatic backlighting
- Flow cross computer control: Type on multiple computers in 1 fluid workflow
- Multi device and multi OS: Compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android systems - Pair with up-to 3 devices. Easy-switch keys to connect up to three devices and easily switch between them
- USB c Rechargeable: Full charge lasts up-to 10 days or up-to 5 months with back-lighting off. MX Keys Keyboard- 5.1 H x 16.9 W x 0.8 D inch, USB Receiver-0.7 H x 0.5 W x 0.2 D inch, Palm rest-2.5 H x 16.5 W x 0.3 D inch
- 1 year limited hardware warranty
Pros & Cons
Pros & Cons
- Tenkeyless compact mechanical gaming keyboard Redragon k552 tkl small compact with dust proof mechanical red switches Linear switches quiet click sound fast action with minimal resistance without a tactile bump feel
- Rainbow LED RGB backlit mechanical USB gaming keyboard 19 different lighting effects and game modes 2 user defined modes 6 colors multiple brightness level breathing speed precision engineered keycaps offering crystal clear uniform backlighting
- Ergonomic designed steel series mechanical game keyboards high-quality durable metal-abs construction with plate-mounted mechanical keys and switches that stand up even during the most testing marathon gaming sessions
- Anti ghosting all 87 keys are conflict free nkey rollover featuring 12 multimedia keyboard keys and a non-slip ergonomic, splash-proof design comes with gold-plated high-speed corrosion free USB connector for a reliable connection
- Compatible with windows 10, windows 8, windows 7, windows vista, or windows xp, limited mac os keyboard support works well with all major computers brands and gaming pcs.
Pros & Cons
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Split-key and 3-D design match your natural arm and hand positions. Integrated palm rest to support your wrists in a comfortable position
- TACTILE KEYSTROKES - Keystrokes are tactile in order to reduce pressure when you press the keys and to give you a more comfortable typing experience
- PLUG AND PLAY FEATURE - Just plug your keyboard in your computer and use it; It uses a USB interface and has a 5.9 Ft cable; 7 Multimedia Hotkeys built-in
- NEW WAY OF TYPING - The ergonomic split keyboard is different from the traditional desktop keyboard and it will take you a few days or weeks to get familiar with it
- SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - Windows 7, 8, 10; Wired USB connection via USB 2.0; Package includes: 1x PERIBOARD-512 and 12-month-limited-warranty
Pros & Cons
- ERGONOMIC SPLIT DESIGN FOR TYPING AND GAMING: Move the right module out of the way and bring your mouse in close for improved endurance and more precise aim (eSports proven). rotate the left module for optimal key coverage or to squeeze into a tight space at a LAN. Or split the modules up to 20 inches and put your stream mic, HOTAS, or mouse in the middle for easy access. Separate the modules to shoulder-width for an ergonomic typing posture and add the lift kit tenting accessory to reduce forearm strain. The detachable Palm Supports now include all-new thick cushioned palm pads for even more comfort.
- 100% MECHANICAL SWITCHES FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE: Genuine Cherry MX Brown speed mechanical switches (low-force, tactile feel) offer professional-grade responsiveness and unmatched durability (50M clicks).
- IMMERSIVE RGB LIGHTING FOR A CUSTOM LOOK: 16.8M color per-key RGB Backlighting with 10 customizable effects like wave, spectrum, rebound, pulse, rain and much more. Install lighting expansion pack 1 to add Dual layer lighting and two-tone effects.
- SMARTSET PROGRAMMING ENGINE: All 95 keys are fully programmable for complete customization: Use the dedicated SmartSet key for convenient on-the-fly Remaps and macros, or use the all-new SmartSet app for special actions or to customize lighting effects. 9 Available profiles with dual layers, powerful macros, quick Remaps, 9 game keys, 1ms response time, NKRO, game mode, & much more. All profiles and settings save directly to the keyboard's 4MB onboard memory for Tournament play.
- 100% plug-and-play: compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome. No special drivers required. RGB SmartSet App 3.0 for Windows and Mac available for download. Designed in the USA.
7.HP Wired Keyboard
Pros & Cons
- Get-more-done productivity: Achieve more with the HP Keyboard K1500: 3 indicator lights, built-in number pad and full-size keyboard.
- Improved and updated features: Spill-resistant design, adjustable legs, quiet key strokes and plug-and-play USB connection
- Premium HP standards
- Compatible with Windows 7/8/10
Pros & Cons
- Metal-Panel Structure Promises Better Durability: This new style pink wired Keyboard adopts the slim metal-panel structure design to make this usb keyboard more resistance to fall off than the plastic one, ensuring longer service life. One-piece wrist rest provides a comfortable space for your hands, relieving fatigue for long hours typing.
- Gorgeous Backlights for Additional Game Atmosphere: Fantastic rainbow LED backlit gaming keyboard helps you better enter the game scene, the brightness and backlight speed are changeable, you can choose your own style. The backlight of the keyboard also can be turn off when you not need.
- Crater Architecture for Best Tactile Feedback: 55g actuation force and 4.0mm travel distance provides 4X faster input speed, enhancing the great typing feedback. Crater structure also provides quiet keystrokes, the mute function will not cause trouble, disturb others, making this computer keyboard suitable for office and games.
- Born for Games: Advanced anti-ghosting technology allows this backlit keyboard at most 19 keys to work simultaneously to provide fast game response. FN+Win buttons to lock the win function, avoiding mistakenly typing and sweeping away the disturbing obstacles during your gaming. WASD and arrow keys are interchangeable to meet your needs in gaming.
- Easy of Use & Reliable Service: VicTsing LED keyboard plugs and play, no software installation required, compatible with Windows 95/98/XP/2000/ME/VISTA/7/8/9/10, Mac.(Note: Multimedia keys are not available on Mac devices.) This keyboard is spill-resistant to prevent accidental splashing of water on the keyboard to affect the gaming experience. VicTsing customer service promises all your problems will be sincerely replied within 12 hours.
9.Razer Cynosa V2
Pros & Cons
- The #1 Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc., U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Gaming Designed: Keyboards, Mice, PC Headsets, and PC Microphones, Based on dollar sales, Jan. 2017- June 2020 combined.
- All-Around Gaming Performance: Able to execute up to ten commands at the same time with built-in key rollover anti-ghosting
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Fully syncs with popular games, Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30+ partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Spill-Resistant Design: Built to withstand most accidental liquid splashes
- Fully Programmable Macros: Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations to be remapped to execute complex commands
- Durable Construction: Supports up to 80 million clicks with a 2 year manufacturer warranty
Pros & Cons
- "How to get a budget keyboard and mouse combo with a professional-grade silky feeling?" We noticed our customers always ask this question, in order to solve this problem, HAVIT launched the decent gaming accessories. This combo consists of a gaming keyboard and a RGB mouse, giving our customers an incredible gaming and typing experience.
- Gaming keyboard with gentle backlight: This keyboard features an elegant backlight that won’t distract your attention compared to other computer keyboards, making you immersed in current work and games. we also configured breathing mode and brightness adjustment.
- Comfortable typing and gaming feeling: Keyboard’s key caps are made of ABS (high quality plastic material). Unlike other USB keyboards, our key caps are suitable for long-time use; 19 non-conflict keys and convenient to switch between arrow keys and WASD keys, letting you to freely exchange between leisure time and work.
- RGB gaming mouse: Our mouse use professional-level adjustable DPI settings ranging from 800-4800 for different types of games, which require native games supporting the keyboard and mouse combo; Besides, the cool adjustable RGB lighting will also bring better gaming experience. and we added extra programmable functions, you can set all mouse keys.
- Wide Compatibility: This keyboard and mouse kit supports Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/ Win7/Win8/Win10. We sincerely hope you can enjoy the convenience and fun of our products. Meanwhile, any problem please feel free to contact us, we will reply and solve your concerns ASAP.
Best keyboard for Transcription – BUYER’S GUIDE
< class="tm-sec-subtit">Keyboard Usage
The market is full of great keyboard models, all of which are developed for some particular tasks like typing, gaming, etc. Therefore, the first step, while choosing the best keyboard for transcription is to determine its primary function. The products designed for transcriptionists usually have an ergonomic design, sensitive keys, and other helpful features for faster and more convenient typing experience.
< class="tm-sec-subtit">Keys and Keystrokes
Before purchasing a keyboard, check its keystrokes and keypad. Choose the model that will make your work comfortable preventing fatigue and strain in your hands, increase your typing speed, etc. For transcribing, you’d better purchase a keyboard with sensitive keys that require little pressure for activation.
< class="tm-sec-subtit">Compatibility with Devices
Buy a keyboard that can work with your device. Many keyboards are wireless, and a lot of models connect to the computer using USB.
< class="tm-sec-subtit">Ergonomic Keyboards
Ergonomic keyboards allow you to hold your hands in a natural position eliminating fatigue and wrist strain. These models are perfect for transcriptionists as their work involved much typing. Such keyboards also allow you to avoid possible health problems like carpal tunnel syndrome.
Frequently Asked Questions
To start transcribing audio or video files, you need a PC, Internet connection, transcription software, and such additional accessories like a headset and a transcription foot pedal that are desirable but aren’t a must. However, the most important tool for a transcriptionist is a computer.
The best thing about mechanical keyboards is that their keys do not require much pressure to be activated. It means that you are likely to type faster using this type of keyboard. For someone the weight of a mechanical peripheral is its advantage, for others, this aspect is a drawback. Nevertheless, it depends on how you are going to use the keyboard.
We recommend you choose a flat keyboard as it allows you to locate your wrists in a natural position eliminating the strain and reducing fatigue.
On average, a person needs about four hours for transcribing audio the length of which is 1 hour (even with the best keyboard for transcription). So, you need to spend approximately one hour to transcribe 15 minutes of a clear, slow audio file.
Keyboards are key devices for transcriptionists. As a transcriptionist, you are required to implement accuracy, precision, careful attention to detail and, of course, the ability to meet deadlines to seamlessly carry out your work. You do not want a faulty low-standard keyboard holding you back and slowing you down by tiring your wrists.