Best keyboard for Video Editing – Although this keyboard company primarily sells keyboards for sound editing, audio editing and video editing, it’s created handy keyboard covers of Adobe shortcuts for Mac and PC, including for the Microsoft Surface Pro.
Editors Keys has a range of separate keyboard covers with shortcuts specifically for all of Adobe’s Creative Cloud applications, such as Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, After Effects, Premiere, Final Cut Pro X and many more.
The good thing about these keyboard covers is the fact they’re affordable, and they prove helpful protection – so your real keys won’t get dusty or suffer from spillages.
Pros & Cons
- COMPATIBILITY: Adobe Lightroom Classic, Lightroom, Capture One Pro 21 for MacOS, Photoshop CC with Camera Raw, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Final Cut Pro and Skylum Aurora HDR
- PRO AND BEGINNER, achieving the perfect edit quickly becomes second nature with Loupedeck+'s intuitive buttons, dials and sliders.
- ERGONOMICS: Edit thousands of photos and video clips with ease. Command multiple editing functions at the same time. Focus on your image and video with Full Screen editing.
- SETUP: Quick and Easy. We have selected some factory default functions for each supported software, so you can begin editing immediately.
- CUSTOMIZATION: Take charge of your editing. Get your photos and video just the way you want it with a plethora of customization options.
Pros & Cons
- THE CROWN – A UNIQUE CREATIVE INPUT DIAL. The Crown is a tactile aluminium dial that adapts to the app you’re using – giving you instant control of the tool you need. Touch the Crown to access context-specific functions, tap to change function and turn to change the selected function’s value.* *Requires Logitech Options on Mac OS X and Windows.
- OPTIMISED WORKFLOW. Install profiles in Logitech Options to enhance the Crown for use with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, InDesign, as well as Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Adjust brightness in Photoshop, instantly create a chart in Excel and enlarge text in InDesign with a turn of the crown.* *Requires Logitech Options on Mac OS X and Windows.
- PREMIUM TYPING. Type with confidence on a keyboard crafted for efficiency, stability and precision. Your fingers glide effortlessly between the matt surface of the keys. The large strike area and spherical dishing mean you can touch type with precision. Increased key stability reduces noise while optimising responsiveness.
- SMART ILLUMINATION. The backlit keys light up the moment your hands approach and automatically adjust to suit changing lighting conditions.
- INTUITIVE USER EXPERIENCE. Enjoy a balanced and natural creative experience. Use the Crown to adjust your work, the mouse to navigate and the keyboard to type with precision. Be more efficient by using intuitive controls that fit seamlessly into the way you work – instead of relying on complicated shortcuts and unnatural movements.
3.HyperX Alloy Origins
Pros & Cons
- HyperX Mechanical Switches rated for 80 million keystrokes
- Full aircraft-grade aluminum body
- Compact, portable design with detachable cable
- Dazzling RGB lighting with dynamic effects
- Advanced customization with HyperX NGENUITY software.3 adjustable keyboard angles.Onboard memory for 3 profiles.Game Mode, 100% anti-ghosting, and N-key rollover functionalities.Compatible devices: PS4
Pros & Cons
- TITAN SWITCH MECHANICAL (TACTILE) - Designed and built entirely by ROCCAT engineers and developed for gamers who love the feel of mechanical switches, but demand the feel of the crisp, tactile bump and instant responsiveness
- ADVANCED ANTI-GHOSTING - Technology optimized for gamers to ensure every key stroke of the most-used keys is registered – no matter how frantic the action gets
- AIMO ILLUMINATION - ROCCAT’s proprietary lighting eco-system connects compatible devices present vivid lighting scenarios right out of the box, without the need for extensive configuration; With full backlighting in 16.8 million colors
- MIXER-STYLE MEDIA CONTROLS - The volume dial and backlit media buttons allow you to adjust volume and mute/unmute on the fly, or toggle over to lighting control to adjust brightness
- CUSTOMIZED YOUR WAY - ROCCAT’s Easy-Shift[plus] technology adds a secondary function to compatible keys; Just hold down the designated modifier key for double the command power in an instant
- DETACHABLE PALM REST - Attaching with a premium magnetic solution, the included palm rest lets you adjust your setup to whatever’s comfortable for you, whether it’s a relaxed typing or aggressive gaming style
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY - The keyboard is reinforced by an aircraft-grade aluminum layer to make it extra strong and durable; Titan switches are designed to keep dust and dirt out, helping to keep it in top condition
Pros & Cons
- The DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard is a full-size editing keyboard based on the traditional QWERTY layout, featuring premium full-metal design. Metal shaved search dial with clutch and key for editing, trim, and time code input It can also be placed flat on a cutout shaped desk!
Pros & Cons
- CONTOURED ERGONOMIC SHAPE PROVEN TO INCREASE COMFORT AND PRODUCTIVITY: Patented design features split keywells with concave shape, thumb keys, orthogonal layout, 20 degrees of tenting, and integrated palm supports with cushioned palm pads.
- GENUINE CHERRY MECHANICAL SWITCHES FOR PREMIUM TYPING FEEL AND PERFORMANCE: Cherry MX Brown mechanical switches feature a low activation force, tactile feedback and are rated for 50 million key presses for unmatched durability.
- Full onboard programmability with the Driverless Smart Set engine: Custom layouts in QWERTY or Dvorak, on-the-fly macro recording, one-touch key remapping, Windows, Mac, PC modes, settings saved to keyboards 4MB flash memory, Smart Set app GUI for Windows
- Plug-and-play with all major operating systems: Windows 7-10, Mac OS X, Linux, Chrome.
- 3 YEAR MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY: Buy with confidence knowing that Kinesis engineers all our products in the USA to the highest standards and stands behind them 100 percent since 1992.
Pros & Cons
- FULL RGB BACKLIT GAMING KEYBOARD – 16.8 million Color combinations, adjustable brightness levels and multiple different lighting effects. Plug & Play, no drivers needed.
- GATERON OPTICAL SWITCHES – Extremely fast response time make these the best choice for getting an advantage in gaming. Hot-Swappable with other Optical switches. No solder or desolder necessary. Extremely durable switches rated for 100 million keystrokes.
- FULLY PROGRAMMABLE - Macro recording, advanced lighting effects and customizations through software. Features multimedia keys through multiple layers. Full Anti Ghosting Mode n-key Rollover (NKRO) for ideal FPS, MOBA and MMO gaming experiences.
- PRACTICAL FEATURES – Small form factor mini 60% Layout with 61 keys with individual backlighting. Spill and dust resistant to withstand accidental spills while playing. Switchable ABS Doubleshot keycaps that can be changed with the included keypuller.
- COMPATABILITY WITH MAC & WINDOWS - Compatible with Windows 11, Win 10, Win 8, Win 7, Win Vista, Windows XP and Mac OS. Ideal Keyboard for all Environments works with all Computer or Laptop Brands and Gaming PCs. Compatible for Home and Office use. Detachable USB C to Type-A cable included.
Pros & Cons
- Budget Apple Keyboard Replacement: With An Affordable Price & Powerful Features, It Is The Perfect Alternative To Any Mac Keyboard Or Pc Keyboard. You Will Have The Ability To Complete All Tasks For A Fraction Of The Cost.
- Simple & Effective: Designed With Simplicity & Quality In Mind, Our Full Sized Wired Keyboard Is A Reliable Device That Will Allow You To Complete Your Work Efficiently With Its 104 Key Layout & Numeric Keypad.
- Easy Shortcuts: Our Usb Keyboard Was Created To Be Easy To Use. There Are 15 Apple Specific Shortcut Keys (Cut/Copy/Paste/Itunes/Volume/Etc.) & Multimedia Keys For Windows Pc. This Will Allow You To Quickly Navigate & Input Commands.
- Low Profile & Quiet Keys: Whether You Use It As A Mac Wired Keyboard Or Pc Desktop Keyboard, It Will Look Great Due To Its Slim And Compact Body. Plus With Quiet Keys Typing Noise Is Kept To A Minimum.
Pros & Cons
- EDIT FASTER in DaVinci Resolve. Your new keyboard has been designed for MacOS. This means it works right out of the box and also features native Mac system shortcuts too
- ALL OF THE SHORTCUTS - Each key contains the shortcut, shortcut icon, text reference and now the modifier keys too.
- DESIGNED for Mac. Simply plug in and go.
- OVER 200 DaVinci Resolve Shortcuts for Resolve 15
- 1 Year Warranty Included
10.Apple Magic Keyboard
Pros & Cons
- The Magic Keyboard is the perfect companion for iPad Pro (3rd, 2nd and 1st generation) and iPad Air (5th and 4th generation).
- It features the best typing experience ever on iPad, a trackpad that opens up new ways to work with iPadOS, a USB-C port for charging, backlit keys, and front and back protection.
- With a new floating cantilever design, iPad Pro attaches magnetically and allows you to smoothly adjust to the perfect viewing angle for you.
- Folds into a case to provide front and back protection
Best keyboard for Video Editing – BUYER’S GUIDE
Ease of Use
Video editing keyboards are often designed specifically to fit the editing program that the editor will be using.
On this list you’ll see examples of keyboards designed specifically for use in Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, and Avid.
As such, these keyboards often include images on the keyboard itself of shortcuts to be performed in each program. This makes it worlds easier to quickly find those shortcuts instead of trying to memorize all of them.
Secondly, the build quality and overall design of the keyboard will dramatically affect the comfort and efficiency of its use to a video editor.
You spend hours and days editing, using all those muscles in your fingers, hands, and wrists. It can truly put a strain on those tiny muscles if you’re not careful.
It’s worth the extra investment to find a keyboard that will prevent any extra aches and pains on your joints and make life overall a bit easier as you edit.
The build quality and materials used in a keyboard can be the determining factor in the way it feels against your fingers.
Some keyboards are what’s called mechanical keyboards. This means that there is an individual, mechanical switch under each of the keys. This adds some noise to key click, but also dramatically improves the response to each key stroke.
How quickly and easily your tools (specifically your keyboard) can help you put your thoughts and ideas into action can truly impact the quality of your work.
Much of efficiency in a keyboard comes down to ease of use and comfort level, but there are a few extras that some of these keyboards provide, like creative backlighting and more.
We’ll touch on all these specifics for each product breakdown.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a video editing keyboard and a standard one?
Such keyboards usually have marked shortcuts or adjusted backlighting. Moreover, video editing keyboards feature additional keys designed to work with video.
Thanks to these features, it is easier for a video editor to work in the program and he/she copes with the tasks much faster.
Are video editing keyboards compatible with both Windows and Mac?
Yes, the difference is in some key shortcuts. There are Alt buttons and a logo on Windows keyboards, while on Mac ones, we may find the Option key and Command key accordingly.
Is it necessary to install additional software to connect a keyboard for video editing?
It depends on the developer. Some companies, like Loupedeck, complement their products with software that should be downloaded while connecting the keyboard. Other manufacturers release keyboards that may be directly connected to a PC. As a rule, the developer states such features in the product description.
What video editing programs these keyboards are designed for?
There are video editing keyboards created for a specific program. For example, LogicKeyboard Adobe Premiere Pro CC. However, there are keyboards that may be individually adjusted for a video editing software you use.
Is it possible to connect a video editing keyboard to an iPad or iPhone?
You may use any USB keyboard with an iPad or iPhone if it comes with an adapter. You just connect it (adapter) to the gadget and then connect the keyboard to the adapter.
Whether it’s in your studio, at an agency or office, working on our computer is a daily affair. It’s part of our digital society and it’s important to create a set up that’s right for you, whether you use your keyboard mainly for shortcuts and quick edits, or you spend a lot of time crafting pitches. We often take a while to consider what will be the best laptop, tablet, drawing tablet or desktop computers for art and design – but less so on what keyboard we prefer.