Best Midi keyboard for Hip Hop Production – I hope you found this review of the best keyboards for making beats helpful. All of these options have their own purposes and it’s up to you as the musician to decide what’s best for your needs.
A MIDI keyboard is an absolute must as a hip hop producer and you want to make sure you get a hip hop keyboard that lasts for a long time and makes your production workflow very easy.
All the keyboards reviewed in this article meet the required standards.
If you’re a producer it’s likely you’ll be primarily using it in the studio, but if you want to be able to also use it in live performances, consider the size and portability of the keyboard you buy. A smaller model like the Akai will still give you as many controls as most people will need but in a package that’s easy to take from place to place.
1.Novation 49SL MkIII
- Bring MIDI hardware and CV/Gate synths together
- Easily integrate hardware with your DAW
- The perfect controller for Ableton Live music-making software
- Internal 8 track pattern based sequencer
- 1 routable clock for the whole system. Novation now offers a 3-Year Warranty on this and all other Novation products.
- Compact and playable Natural Touch Mini Keyboard
- Connect with a single USB cable; supports Mac, Win, iPad, and iPhone
- Connect a pedal, and enjoy full control functionality
- Lavish array of powerful music software bundled free of charge
- Dedicated editor software "KORG KONTROL Editor" is provided
- Motif XF Sound Quality
- Flash memory expandability
- Performance mode to enhance your creativity
- Advanced computer integration
- Very Portable
4.AKAI Professional LPK25
- 13-Inch, Slim-Line Laptop Performance Keyboard With 25 Velocity-Sensitive Mini-Keyboard Keys For Playing Melodies, Bass Lines, Chords And More
- Dedicated Octave Up And Down Buttons To Increase The Keyboard To The Full Melodic Range Plus A Sustain Button For Expressive Performances
- On-Board Arpeggiator Steps Through Chords Automatically And Generates Inspiring Melodic Ideas Quickly
- 4 Programmable Memory Banks For Instant Recall Of Mappings For Daws, Virtual Instruments, Effects And More
- MIDI Keyboard with 49 full-sized, velocity sensitive square-front keys, perfect for playing Virtual Instruments
- 8 velocity- and pressure-sensitive backlit pads for beat production and clip launching
- 4 assignable knobs and 4 assignable buttons interface with your music software. Seamless, visual feedback via illuminated buttons and knobs
- Octave Up and Down buttons let you access the full keyboard range and Pitch and modulation wheels deliver expressive, creative control
- Premium Software Included - Includes Ableton Live Lite, Xpand!2 virtual instrument software by Air Music Tech and MPC Beats
- Nektar's most advanced MIDI Controller. 49 semi-weighted full-size velocity sensitive keys + aftertouch. Amazing number of controls available includes 100mm ALPS motorized touch-sensitive high resolution fader.
- Deep DAW integration for Cubase, Logic, Studio One, Bitwig Studio, Nuendo, Mainstage, Reason and Reaper.
- Comprehensive MIDI functionailty. Compatible with all MIDI music software applications
- Mac and PC compatible
- Includes PreSonus Studio One Artist DAW
7.M Audio Oxygen 49 IV
- Compact, ultra portable performance keyboard controller with 49 full size, synth action velocity sensitive keys and on board pitch bend and modulation wheels for expressive performances
- 8 velocity sensitive trigger pads for beat production and clip launching; 8 assignable knobs and 9 assignable faders for manipulating virtual instruments, daw parameters and plugins on board lcd screen provides instant parameter feedback
- Dedicated octave up and down buttons increase the keyboard to the full melodic range and transport buttons let you control your daw without reaching for the mouse
- Innovative directlink automatically maps controls to popular daws including ableton live, pro tools, logic, cubase and more
- Class compliant, plug and play functionality and USB powered specification for simple user friendly setup
- Comprehensive production software package for mac and pc worth over $100 included; ableton live lite, sonivox twist and air music tech xpand 2
8.MIDI Controller Bundle
- Oxygen 49 MKIV | Core Keyboard Control - Portable MIDI keyboard controller with 49 full-size, velocity sensitive keys and on-board pitch bend and modulation wheels for expressive performances
- Oxygen 49 MKIV | Beat Maker Essentials - 8 velocity sensitive drum pads for beat production and clip launching; 8 assignable encoders for manipulating virtual instruments, DAW parameters and plugins
- Oxygen 49 MKIV | Ditch the Mouse - Octave up and down buttons increase the MIDI keyboard to the full melodic range and transport buttons let you control your DAW without reaching for the mouse
- SP-2 | Genuine Piano Style Sustain - Universal sustain pedal with chrome foot pedal for a piano style pedal action; polarity switch for compatibility with all electronic keyboards / MIDI Controllers
- Pro Production Software Package for Mac & PC Included - ProTools | First M-Audio Edition, Ableton Live Lite and Eleven Lite, plus Eighty-Eight & Twist from SONiVOX Twist and AIR Music Tech’s Xpand!2
- Light, mobile body with 88-note Ivory Feel-G KeyboardOver 2000 sounds from the flagship INTEGRA-7 sound module16-track sequencer with non-stop loop recordingExport sequencer tracks to SDHC card or as multitrack audio or MIDI to your DAWOnboard sampler based on the SP-404SX16 independent FX engines, six COMP+EQ processors, global EQ, chorus, and reverbSix user-assignable Sound Modify knobsD-Beam, Rhythm Pattern, Arpeggiator, and Chord Memory functionsGuitar/Mic and Line input jacksDedicated input
- Current draw: 1,300 mA
- 🎹 [Portable Beat Maker Machine] Compact Worlde Tunamini midi keyboard introduces infinite controllability to your inspiration. Plug and play capability with USB-powered ensured real-time rhythm feedback for bedroom/home studio producers, YouTubers, vloggers, and DJs, easily taking your musical ideas from concept to final performance
- 🎹 [Get Music Easily Under Control] 8 knobs, 8 sliders, 8 memory banks, 8 presets, mod and pitch bend ribbons, and octave buttons within reach to control the sound accurately and rapidly. After mapping it to your software, no more frequently switch from pc to midi controller. Help you to become so deeply absorbed in music composition
- ✨ [Fascinating Beat Pad] Midi keyboard with drum pads has RGB colors assignable via the editor, providing rich visual feedback. Combining eclectic music and a colorful light show, strong visual appeal make your rhythm more delight-to-ear
- 🎹 [Considerate Design for Users] Convenient keyboard layout adds comfort and swiftness for control, and sufficiently achieves flexible management of control-play interaction. 4 durable silicone pads underneath offer a stable performance on any surface, allowing you to dial up your music at will
- 💗 [Sincere Customer Service] We were keenly aware of what we should do to help beginners to start, so we prepared detailed user guides in word and video forms under the product page. You could rest assured that you will receive our best care
Best Midi keyboard for Hip Hop Production – BUYER’S GUIDE
Choosing a MIDI keyboard can be a tricky affair as there are nearly countless models available, each with its distinct set of features. Nevertheless, the task will become hugely easy if you’re sure about how and where to use the instrument. In case you’re an audio engineer or a music producer, you’ll want to go for a keyboard with all the bells and whistles, one that is apt for a studio.
So, what’s the best keyboard for hip-hop production?
If you’re a hip hop singer or DJ, spending the better part of your day performing in gigs, your ideal MIDI keyboard would be one that is portable and compact without compromising on essential functionalities. In this respect, the AKAI Professional LPK25 would be perfect.
Also, consider your touchy-feely interface with music while creating it-think of the Yamaha MOXF8 interactive keyboard with over 80 keys. Consider the velocity-sensitiveness of the keypads as well. Closing up, every MIDI keyboard reviewed above has some unique features. Any of them enable you to customize mixing, recording, and editing track at your convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
< class="">Do I need a Midi Keyboard to make beats?
Yes you need a midi keyboard to make beats.
Most MIDI keyboards do not make any sound. They just send MIDI data to your music making software or DAW.
So what happens is that the software generates the sound and then you control it through your MIDI keyboard controller.
So your MIDI keyboard controller is very necessary if you want to make beats.
< class="">Can you use a MIDI keyboard as a Piano?
Yes you can use a MIDI keyboard as a Piano… but the one major difference between a MIDI keyboard and a piano is that the MIDI keyboard does not produce any sounds.
So while you can still apply the same theory, it does not have a format for learning to play the piano.
One thing you also need to know is that, if you are using a MIDI keyboard to learn how to play, you want to make sure it has weighted keys.
< class="">What size MIDI keyboard should I get?
Most MIDI keyboards come in different sizes.
We have 25 keys, 37 keys, 49 keys and so on. The size of MIDI keyboard you get will depend on your budget and the available space you have.
And it also depends on if you are a beginner just learning how to play the piano or you are advanced and special skills
Here is what I advice you to do… get the biggest size you can afford right now so that you don’t need to bother about upgrading in a year or two.
< class="">Can you connect a MIDI keyboard to an IPhone?
Yes you can connect a MIDI keyboard to an Iphone and also use it as a beat maker.
Before you begin, you want to do some research and make sure that the USB Midi controller will work with iOS devices.
One more big advantage of connecting via USB to your iOS device is that you don’t need to plug a power adapter into the keyboard; it will be bus powered, which means it gets its power through the USB cable.
Here is an awesome MIDI Controller just for iOS devices that I found on Amazon.com
Also here is a YouTube video showing you how to correctly do the connections.
Most hip hop fans and producers know that a keyboard or a sampler is one of the major equipment to have for beat making.
This is why I had to take my time and search around for the best keyboard for hip hop production in the market today.
If you are really serious about becoming a music producer, then you know that you need to get a good sampler or keyboard.
This is simply because the keyboard makes beat making so much easier.