Best Midi keyboard Under 300 – When getting a MIDI controller, a lot of features and sounds will depend on the software that comes with it, but also with the additional software that you will have to download or buy. For that reason, you should consider the hardware quality and the feel first, then the additional features later.
In conclusion, there are genuine reasons for buying every controller on this list. As always you should base your decision on which one suits your needs most.
Think about your budget, your workspace, and what style you play most. Do that till you eliminate any unsuitable keyboards then you should be left with a smaller list to choose from.
Keep in mind, though, that not all software works equally well with every controller and vice versa. Tell us in the comments below which MIDI keyboard controller you liked the most!back to menu ↑
1.Native Instruments Komplete
- Smart, streamlined keyboard controller for all your virtual instruments and effects
- Semi-weighted custom NI keybed
- Informative OLED display for at-a-glance navigation
- 8 touch-sensitive control knobs
- USB 2.0 bus powered
back to menu ↑
2.M Audio Oxygen
- Compact, ultra portable performance keyboard controller with 49 full size, synth action velocity sensitive keys and on board pitch bend and modulation wheels for expressive performances
- 8 velocity sensitive trigger pads for beat production and clip launching; 8 assignable knobs and 9 assignable faders for manipulating virtual instruments, daw parameters and plugins on board lcd screen provides instant parameter feedback
- Dedicated octave up and down buttons increase the keyboard to the full melodic range and transport buttons let you control your daw without reaching for the mouse
- Innovative directlink automatically maps controls to popular daws including ableton live, pro tools, logic, cubase and more
- Class compliant, plug and play functionality and USB powered specification for simple user friendly setup
- Comprehensive production software package for mac and pc worth over $100 included; ableton live lite, sonivox twist and air music tech xpand 2
back to menu ↑
3.MIDI Controller Bundle
- Oxygen 49 MKIV | Core Keyboard Control - Portable MIDI keyboard controller with 49 full-size, velocity sensitive keys and on-board pitch bend and modulation wheels for expressive performances
- Oxygen 49 MKIV | Beat Maker Essentials - 8 velocity sensitive drum pads for beat production and clip launching; 8 assignable encoders for manipulating virtual instruments, DAW parameters and plugins
- Oxygen 49 MKIV | Ditch the Mouse - Octave up and down buttons increase the MIDI keyboard to the full melodic range and transport buttons let you control your DAW without reaching for the mouse
- SP-2 | Genuine Piano Style Sustain - Universal sustain pedal with chrome foot pedal for a piano style pedal action; polarity switch for compatibility with all electronic keyboards / MIDI Controllers
- Pro Production Software Package for Mac & PC Included - ProTools | First M-Audio Edition, Ableton Live Lite and Eleven Lite, plus Eighty-Eight & Twist from SONiVOX Twist and AIR Music Tech’s Xpand!2
back to menu ↑
- 16 track song sequencer + 1 system track supports recording of up to 5 songs or approximately 30,000 notes
- Combine instrumentals from the 210 built-in rhythms, toggle individual instrumental portions and adjust parameters to create your own personal rhythms
- With the Tone Editor, attack and release time, cut off, vibrato, reverb, chorus and DSP can be adjusted based on your preferences
- Features a choice of 700 tones to expand your music creativity, and offers 48 notes of polyphony to prevent dropped notes
- Built-in effects include 10 reverbs, 5 choruses and 100 DSP types with the option to create your own effects and store up to 100 unique styles
- Use with Mac or Windows computers without downloading drivers or as a controller for the Apple iPad simply by using Apple’s Camera Connection Kit
back to menu ↑
- ALL-IN-ONE: Functions as a universal MIDI controller
- CONNECTIONS: MIDI out, USB, and Sustain Pedal connectivity
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with major digital audio workstations. MCU/HUI control compatibility
- SOFTWARE: Perfect Analog Lab integration, Ableton Live Lite, UVI Grand Piano model D
- DURABILITY: Dynamic and sensitive enough to capture the nuance of every performance; tough enough to withstand life on tour; and with a streamlined, sleek format
back to menu ↑
- Deep Ableton Live Integration – Immediate access to all the controls you need and never lose ideas or happy accidents with the Capture Midi function.
- 49 Velocity-sensitive keys and 16 velocity-sensitive pads enable expressive and dynamic performance. Tweak instruments and effects to perfection using the eight rotary encoders and nine 45mm faders.
- Three chord modes (fixed, scale and user) let you trigger chords with one finger. The powerful arpeggiator will take you to new melodic, harmonic and rhythmic places.
- Five-pin MIDI output works with any MIDI-compatible device.
- Make music immediately – Free software, including Ableton Live 10 Lite, virtual instruments, plugins and sample packs let you start creating straight away.
back to menu ↑
7.Alesis V49 – 49
- MIDI Keyboard with 49 full-sized, velocity sensitive square-front keys, perfect for playing Virtual Instruments
- 8 velocity- and pressure-sensitive backlit pads for beat production and clip launching
- 4 assignable knobs and 4 assignable buttons interface with your music software. Seamless, visual feedback via illuminated buttons and knobs
- Octave Up and Down buttons let you access the full keyboard range and Pitch and modulation wheels deliver expressive, creative control
- Premium Software Included - Includes ProTools, First Alesis Edition, Ableton Live Lite 9 and Eleven Lite, plus Mini Grand, DB-33 and Xpand 2 virtual instrument software by Air Music Tech
back to menu ↑
- The RockJam 561 keyboard piano super kit includes a digital keyboard with 61 full-size keys giving you that traditional piano feel whilst maintaining a portable and compact design that can be powered by either mains power (power supply included) or batteries
- This RockJam 561 piano keyboard features an LCD display panel that both displays and engages the 100 rhythms, 50 tones, teaching functions, and 30 demo songs that are part of its functionality
- The RockJam 561 electric piano has record and playback functionality allowing you to build layers to your sound.
- This music keyboard super kit package includes a keyboard stand that is sturdy in design and can be adjusted to suit keyboard piano players both young and old
- This electric piano keyboard super kit contains a padded seat that is easily folded and has a thick padded seat for hours of comfortable play
back to menu ↑
- 【48 Programmable Keys & 8 Macro Keys Based Hardware】Program all 48 keys or create 8 complex macros with the configuration software to take full command of your computer. A macro key can output up to 31 characters. Perfect not only for gamers, but also for so many other types of users including supermarket cashier, designers and video editors
- 【Built-in MCU】After keyboard keys be set up, it will be automatically stored in keyboard's MCU, and no need reset the keyboard or even replace the computer
- 【Support 9 Kinds Key Program Types】 Normal/FN-Shift/Mouse/Combination/Burst/Round-Robin/Continue/Jitter/Special Functions/Disable key types, different key type with different function
- 【OEM Gateron Red Switches】OEM Gateron Red switches with trigger travel of 2±0.6mm, keystroke force of 45±15cN, plus full anti-ghosting ensures great feel and accuracy.
- 【Portable Mini keypad】Portable Mini keypad, effectively save desktop space. You can connect the keypad and a 104-key keyboard with the same computer at the same time, they will not interfere with each other.
back to menu ↑
10.GameSir VX Game Keyboard
- One Combo for Consoles: GameSir VX AimSwitch Gaming Keyboard and Mouse supports mainstream consoles: for Xbox One/Xbox series X/S/Xbox One S/Xbox One X, PS4/PS4 Silm/PS4 Pro, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Switch and Windows PC.
- TTC Mechanical Blue Key Switches: The Mechanical Keyboard with 38 TTC blue key switches deliver low resistance and fast response rate. And the Sliding and detachable palmrest perfectly suits different gestures.
- Working Distance: GameSir Agility X technology enables stable and instant wireless keyboard connection with maximum 32.8 ft control range. Plug the 2.4G dongle to the mainstream consoles to play games.
- Professional Gaming Mouse: The main feature of GameSir GM190 is adjustable DPI, configurable side buttons, which was preset in sensitivity and accuracy to be perfectly compatible with consoles.
- Configurable Keys Layout Design: GameSir G-Crux mobile app can configure every key (not include G-series Key) of the GameSir VX Gaming Keyboard when it is connected with mobile phone by Bluetooth. Different platform set the different Keys Layout.
back to menu ↑
Best Midi keyboard Under 300 – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
Typically the most basic option/place to start is deciding how many keys you want, whether it be 25, 49 or 61 keys.
Bear in mind your studio desk size. Bigger might only be better so long as you can actually fit it in your studio!
Mini keyboards like the Akai MPK Mini Mk3 (full review here) are quite popular among travellers and on-the-go musicians.back to menu ↑
2. HUMAN USER INTERFACE
HUI protocol allows a digital audio workstation (DAW) and a connected hardware control surface (a MIDI keyboard in this case) to exchange MIDI signals that synchronize the states of their sliders, buttons, wheels, and displays.
The user can write console automation to a track in a live or recording situation while using the physical hardware, which can then be seen transferred and recorded directly on the screen in the DAW in real-time.back to menu ↑
Aftertouch is a dynamic control function that allows the user to physically manipulate the sound they are playing from their keyboard, after you have engaged the key.
By pressing and holding down the note you can use physical pressure differences to change the strength of the release and decay accordingly, as well as other parameters.back to menu ↑
4. MIDI SYNC/CV GATE
This is a type of functionality used to send MIDI information data between devices for live and recording applications when using analog/hardware synths or drum machines.
The control voltage (CV) will normally control the transmission of pitch, and the gate will control whether the note is on or off.
If you are into live hardware recording or performances, you will want to make sure you have the proper MIDI functionality within your MIDI keyboard, should you want to sync it with your other hardware. It is also worth noting that ‘MIDI beat’ clocking is different to ‘MIDI timecode’ clocking and is based on tempo, MIDI clock events are universally set at 24ppqn or ‘Pulses Per Quarter Note.’back to menu ↑
5. MCU (MACKIE CONTROL UNIVERSAL)
MCU allows a specific device to be the “master” MIDI controller for a DAW and can sync up to 16 MIDI devices from an MCU enabled device via a computer, meaning you can control up to 16 devices or plugins seamlessly from the one master device.
Note: some DAWs such as Reaper have been known to have functionality issues when using MCU protocol in the past, so make sure you do your due diligence to see what your DAW supports if you intend on using MIDI hardware in live performance or live recording situations.back to menu ↑
Velocity typically measures the amount of different pressure sensitive outputs that can be tied to an individual keypress on a MIDI keyboard or drum pad.
Typically there are 127 points of velocity within a standard keypress, allowing for expressional and dynamic playing, with 1 being the softest possible press and 127 being the hardest.
Although velocity can be controlled and mapped by various plugins or onboard features of some keyboards themselves, the industry-standard remains 127 points of velocity. This ultimately means that each key can be pressed in 127 different ways from soft to hard presses.back to menu ↑
7. WEIGHTED KEYS
A lot of keyboards include the integration of weighted or semi-weighted keys. This is to simulate the feeling of playing a normal acoustic piano. The hammers on each key in a traditional piano are connected to the key by a lever mechanism which causes a natural weight or resistance when each key is pressed, lifting the hammer.
This can be an important feature in an electronic keyboard as it combines with the use of velocity to create a more natural and organic feeling when playing. Hitting the key hard will make a sharp and loud note, whereas gently depressing the key will generate a much softer note, and the weighted key will respond to the press as if it is actually moving a physical hammer.
With no resistance on the keys, it can be harder (especially for someone who has trained or plays on an acoustic piano) to achieve the appropriate feeling or timbre when playing a note or chord.back to menu ↑
8. PEDAL FUNCTIONALITY
Some MIDI keyboard controllers have the option for an “expression” pedal and/or footswitch, this means the device has the ability to attach a sustain pedal or FX pedal via a 1/4” TRS lead and to be able to send and receive information that will change the way the note is played within the keyboard.
Much like the sustain pedals found on an acoustic piano, digital sustain pedals work in the same way, and can be purchased from various music retail outlets.
Pressing your foot on the sustain pedal will hold the note even after you release the key and are no longer pressing it, simulating the way a sustain pedal keeps the hammers off the strings of the piano to prevent them from dampening the vibration of the strings inside. When the pedal is released, the note or chord will stop playing.back to menu ↑
Are you searching for an affordable MIDI controller? Since you are reading our article, chances are that you are either searching for a good backup controller to go along with your more expensive stuff, or you are a beginner just getting into the world of digital music. Whatever your reason may be – welcome to our review!