Best Budget i5 Laptops Under 400 – Buying a budget laptop does not always have to mean compromises, especially when you’re spending $400 for it. At this price, you can get a pretty well-specced laptop with mainstream Intel or AMD processor, fast SSD storage, 4+ GB RAM, a sharp 1080p display, and some of them even have a backlit keyboard! What else could you expect from a laptop that costs under $400?
Of course, it cannot run the latest AAA games or handle demanding workloads, but most people buying budget laptops don’t have to deal with such programs. If you have to, then there are some budget notebooks under $400 with powerful integrated graphics that can handle minor photo video-editing jobs and even gaming up to an extent.
1.ASUS VivoBook 15
Pros & Cons
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 4-way NanoEdge bezel display with a stunning 88% screen-to-body ratio
- Compatible with Google Classroom; run Google Classroom on Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11
- Latest 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1 CPU (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
- 8 GB DDR4 RAM and 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard with fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Exclusive Ergolift design for an improved typing position
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.2 Type-C, USB 3.2 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) (USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
- Windows 10 in S mode exclusively runs apps from the Microsoft Store. To install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, simply switch out of S mode in three easy steps. There's no charge to switch out of S mode
ASUS Intelligent Performance Technology (AIPT) is an ultra-efficient thermal design and power-saving solution. It uses ASUS exclusive algorithms combined with between five and nine smart sensors, an aerodynamic IceBlades fan design and a 65-watt power supply to intelligently increase CPU performance with improved stability, while allowing all-day battery life and a quieter and cooler laptop.
With ASUS Intelligent Performance Technology, your laptop could run in high-performance status as long as you need.
2.Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5
Pros & Cons
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Quad Core Processor.
- Display: 14.0" FHD IPS Touch Display, Operating system: Windows 10 in S Mode
- Memory: 4GB DDR4 3200MHz OnBoard RAM.
- ntInternal storage: 128GB 2242 m.2 NVMe SSD Storage
- Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon Graphics
This flexibility isn’t unique to the Flex 5. Lenovo pioneered the 2-in-1 convertible laptop concept, and it offers a handful of such laptop models at all price ranges. Because a 360-degree hinge needs to be sturdy, it often results in a bulkier chassis, which is generally true of the less expensive convertibles that Lenovo and many other laptop makers sell.
The Flex 5 measures 0.82 by 12.7 by 8.6 inches (HWD) and weighs 3.3 pounds, which just barely qualifies it as an ultraportable.
3.Acer Aspire 5
Pros & Cons
- Powerful Productivity: AMD Ryzen 3 3350U delivers desktop-class performance and amazing battery life in a slim notebook. With Precision Boost, get up to 3.5GHz for your high-demand applications
- Maximized Visuals: See even more on the stunning 15.6" Full HD display with 82.58% screen-to-body, 16:9 aspect ratio and narrow bezels
- Backlit Keyboard and Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options help keep your Acer PC secure
- Internal Specifications: 4GB DDR4 on-board memory (1 slot available); 128GB NVMe solid-state drive storage (1 hard drive bay available) to store your files and media
- Acer's Purified.Voice technology, features enhanced digital signal processing to cancel out background noise, improve speech accuracy and far-field pickup, which not only makes calls clearer, but makes talking to Alexa easier than before.
- Using Alexa on your PC is as easy as asking a question. Just ask and Alexa can check your calendar, create lists, play music, answer questions, read the news and more.
- Secure Operating System: Windows 10 Home (S mode) comes with advanced security features built right in, like protections against phishing and malicious software so you don't have to think twice when navigating to a new webpage or downloading an app
- Connections: 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz featuring MU-MIMO technology; 10 100 1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; Bluetooth 5.1
- Ports For All Your Accessories: USB 3.2 Type-C, 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 (1 Power-off Charging), USB 2.0, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP support, headphone speaker line-out jack, Ethernet (RJ-45), DC-in for AC adapter
Whether it was equipped with a dedicated graphics card, a 14-inch display or Ryzen APU, the Acer Aspire 5 has always proved itself to be a very good device for office and everyday applications. Acer is hoping to continue this trend with its new version of the Aspire 5, A515-56-511A.
The manufacturer has placed its bets on the current Tiger Lake CPU that has an integrated Xe graphics unit, 16 GB of RAM and a 1-TB SSD. Equipped with these features and a price of around , the notebook will have to compete with the competitors listed below. You can also add further devices from our database to the comparison at the end of every section.
4.Dell Inspiron 15
Pros & Cons
- 【Storage & RAM】Enjoy up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 256 GB SSD storage and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 8 GB of RAM
- 【Processor】Intel Celeron N4020 1.1GHz Dual-Core Processor (4MB Cache, Up to 2.8GHz)
- 【Display】15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Non-touch Narrow Border Display
- 【Operating System】 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Shopping for a satisfactory budget Windows laptop is hard not only because there are relatively few models available, but also because the specs of the models that do exist change so frequently. The Inspiron 15 3000 (model 3505) configuration we tested comes with 4GB of RAM, a 128GB solid-state storage drive, and an AMD Athlon Silver processor.
This is the first rung of the entry-level laptop ladder; you wouldn’t want to go lower than these specs and still expect a Windows-based PC that’s usable for modern web browsing and other simple tasks.
5.Acer Chromebook 514
Pros & Cons
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required)
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.Maximum Power Supply Wattage:45W
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- CB514-1HT-C6EV comes with Intel Celeron N3450 Quad-Core Processor (Up to 2.2GHz), 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 10-Finger Multi-Touch Display, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 64GB eMMC, Backlit Keyboard, Google Chrome and Up to 12-hour Battery Life
Acer’s Chromebook 514 is an upscale Chromebook with a 14-inch screen. Priced higher than a fan-fave and PCMag Editors’ Choice winner from Acer, the Acer Chromebook 14, it brings to the table improved portability, a sleek aluminum design, and the option for touch-input tech. Once you add a backlit keyboard and long battery life to the mix, it becomes a tempting alternative to budget notebook PCs in its price range.
Despite its Intel Pentium processor, this Acer feels snappy enough for most undemanding use thanks to Google’s lean Chrome OS. Provided that the OS meets your functional needs, the Chromebook 514 provides a first-rate way to get things done without spending a ton. We’re taking our Editors’ Choice garland for consumer Chromebooks from the 14 and hanging it on the 514.
Best Budget i5 Laptops Under 400 – So, the best laptops under $400 are definitely not slouching performers, and there are very few compromises you’ll have to make compared to other less costly options. However, if you’re shopping for a 2-in-1 laptop or a Chromebook, then you’ll still struggle to find a decent one with a great display or enough storage space. Nonetheless, there are still some great options in the $400 price range. You can check them out in our top picks below.