Best Cheap Laptop for Writers – We believe most of our picks offer the options to cater to the needs of all writers. Whether you’re a professional author or a new freelancer, you can find a suitable laptop that won’t disappoint.
Take a look at the several features, and you’ll definitely find a laptop that suits your budgetbest lapto. You can enjoy these laptops in or away from the office to pursue your passion as a talented writer.
There are hundreds of models on the market, but some features are more important to a writer. Here are a few things to take into consideration before buying the best option.
When we looked at different laptops for word processing, we had to think about a few different things. Obviously being a “writer” doesn’t include one type of work and nothing else. Instead, it requires you to do many different tasks on a daily basis.back to menu ↑
- Good to Go: Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours  so you don't need to carry a charger. And when you do need a charge get up to 2 hours of use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going. 
- Made to move Pixelbook Go is lightweight - Barely 2 pounds It's 13 millimeter thin with a grippable design making it easier to carry 
- Get it done Fast: Pixelbook Go starts up in seconds and makes working a breeze. The 8th Gen Intel Core Processor is quick and responsive powering everything you do. And Chrome OS doesn't slow down over time so it always feels like new. 
- Go without worry: Pixelbook Go is designed to prevent things from getting off track. The Titan C security chip and built-in anti-virus software help protect your data. And Chrome OS updates automatically always giving you the latest features and security. 
- Built for comfort: A backlit keyboard and Hush Keys make using Pixelbook Go comfortable and quiet. The touchpad is spacious and accurate so you only need to use a light touch. The fan less design stays cool to let you comfortably use it on your lap.
- Ready to entertain: With brilliant 13.3" HD touchscreen display and dual stereo speakers you get amazing picture and sound for watching movies editing photos, or video chatting. 
- Please refer to the product description section below for all applicable legal disclaimers denoted by the bracketed numbers in the preceding bullet points (e.g. , , etc.)
- Google Pixelbook Go packaged with a Google Seal for Online Marketplace
back to menu ↑
- This Certified Refurbished product is Certified Factory refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty.
- Multitasking is easy with 4 GB of RAM.
- Equipped with a powerful Intel Celeron N4000 1.10 GHz processor.
- Never worry about running out of space with 32 GB storage.
back to menu ↑
- Newly Launched HP Spectre x360 13T Cutting Edge GEM CUT Design - 10TH GENERATION QUAD CORE CPU: Intel Core i7-1065G7 (1.3 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) four-way processing 1.30 GHz to 3.9 GHz with 8 MB SmartCache, high-efficiency performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology WINDOWS 10 HOME 64 BIT PRE INSTALLED BY HP, NEW Features - Web Cam Kill Switch, Mic Mute Key, Fingerprint reader
- UNMATCHED AUDIO PERFORMANCE with QUAD Bang & Olufsen speakers: The partnership between Bang & Olufsen and HP brings premium sound to your personal computing device. With HP Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and custom tuning by the experts at Bang & Olufsen, entertainment comes to life with sound you can feel.
- SUPERIOR SPEED and NETWORKING: Fast Data Access with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 Combo. Security management Mic Mute key; Webcam kill switch, 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C with Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)
- IMPRESSIVE HD PANEL with HD Active Stylus Pen and Thunderbolt Support: Experience exceptional colors and clarity with 13.3" Full HD touch screen (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) for hands-on control and IPS technology for wide viewing angles. 13.3" diagonal FHD IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen with NBT, HP Active Stylus Pen, USB-C port, Thunderbolt support & SD card reader
- 16GB SDRAM(ONBAORD), Bang & Olufsen Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, Fingerprint Reader, ALSO includes a Super Sleek, Super cool, 64GB ULTRA SLIM Tech Warehouse LLC USB Flash drive. A speedy little performer with a great look! Please see picture illustrations for more information
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports & 1 HDMI port with HDCP support
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard; Up to 7.5 hours battery life
- Windows 10 in S mode. Maximum power supply wattage: 65 Watts
back to menu ↑
- 14 inch Touchscreen FHD 1920x1080 4-way NanoEdge display featuring ultra-narrow bezels (5mm thin) around each side of the display that allows for a 14 inch screen to fit in the body of a 13inch laptop footprint.
- The FHD display has a durable 360 degree hinge that can be used to flip the touchscreen display to tent, stand, and tablet mode.
- Powered by the Intel Core m3-8100Y Processor (up to 3.4 GHz) for super-fast and snappy performance. If you use a ton of tabs or run lots of apps, this has the power to get it all done with ease.
- 4GB DDR3 RAM; 64GB eMMC storage and 2x USB Type-C (Gen 1) and 1s Type-A (Gen 1) ports plus a super bright backlit keyboard.
- The lightweight (3lbs) all-aluminum metal body makes the C434 both durable and beautiful for a timeless look that will never go out of style.
back to menu ↑
- 62% larger touchpad, 5% larger screen, and 5.6% smaller footprint
- 16:10 FHD+ edge to edge display equipped with DisplayHDR 400 and Dolby Vision
- Integrated Eyesafe display technology
- Quad speaker design with Waves Nx audio
- High-polished diamond-cut sidewalls
back to menu ↑
7.Apple iPad Pro
- 12.9-inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
- A12Z Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 12MP Wide camera, 10MP Ultra Wide camera, and LiDAR Scanner
- 7MP TrueDepth front camera
- Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
- Four speaker audio and five studio-quality microphones
- 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- USB-C connector for charging and accessories
- Support for Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard Folio, and Apple Pencil
back to menu ↑
- Thin & light 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Narrow Border WVA Display
- 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)
- 8GB 3200MHz DDR4, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig) Bluetooth 5.1
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1 GHz) with Radeon Graphics; 8GB LPDDR4 Memory; 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax; HD webcam (1280 x 720); Backlit keyboard; Fingerprint reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3. 2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1- USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2. 0 port & 1 - HDMI port
- Just 0.63" thin and 2.65 pounds and up to 11.5 hours of battery life
back to menu ↑
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than surface pro 6, with a 10th gen intel core processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- More ways to connect, with both USB-c and USB-a ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging. Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light surface pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All day battery life up to 10.5 hours, Plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80 percent in just over an hour
- Free Upgrade to Windows 11 when available (see below).
back to menu ↑
Best Cheap Laptop for Writers – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
Being on a tight budget doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t get a good machine. There are several good models on the market so you can find an affordable laptop that doesn’t break the bank.
The good news is that as a writer, you don’t need an extremely powerful processor to support demanding software programs. Programmers, gamers, and photo editors might be interested in a high processor and RAM. Most writers can settle for middle-class laptops that they can use for browsing and writing.back to menu ↑
While you’re busy attending meetings, working while commuting, and making a few edits before sending the final version of your article or novel, you need a reliable battery that won’t disappoint you. Having a long battery life is a big plus when you’re shopping for a laptop.
Finding a power outlet isn’t always easy and as a writer, as you might get your inspiration on the beach or while you’re on a plane. You won’t want to submit your work after the deadline just because you ran out of battery. You should make sure that spare batteries are easy to find so you can install a new one when needed.back to menu ↑
Between getting inspired while enjoying your favorite cup of coffee and moving from your office to a quiet spot so you can write, you need a portable laptop that doesn’t strain your shoulders or back while carrying it around.
Laptops are either carried in backpacks or in laptop bags. This means that the weight of your laptop plays a crucial role while weighing various options so you can find the most practical one. We’ve included some tablets in our picks below, but there is always a portability tradeoff. In the case of tablets, it’s often with functionality – expect less support for popular programs.
A very heavyweight laptop that comes with several impressive features might be tempting, but it won’t suit your lifestyle as an author. As a matter of fact, you don’t need to buy a high-end laptop if it’s difficult to carry. Remember that you’ll go out of town and may often travel with your laptop. This means that it shouldn’t weigh you down.back to menu ↑
With all the enthusiasm, you might press too hard on the keyboard. This means that you should stay away from a flimsy keyboard, even if the computer seems attractive.
You need to make sure that the keyboard is well-built so it can handle everyday writing. Moreover, the layout should be appropriate and intuitive so you won’t spend time trying to find the right letters. Backlit keyboards are practical because they can be used in various light conditions – there’s nothing worse than waking up your partner in the middle of the night when you have midnight inspiration and simply have to get those words down somewhere!
If you’re in the market for an external keyboard to go with your new laptop, check out our roundup here (though note that our top picks all have great keyboards).back to menu ↑
To a writer, a computer is an investment that should provide value for a very long time (don’t forget it may also be tax deductible!). With very limited maintenance, a laptop should work for years delivering the same performance.
When it comes to reliability, laptops should excel at both physical reliability and software wise. This means that you need a durable and well-built laptop that can withstand everyday use. You’re going to take care of your laptop and you won’t throw it around. Nevertheless, you won’t always be around it so it must have a robust body. The hinges and the screen should be made of high-quality materials that don’t show any signs of wear and tear after a short period.
As one example, Apple products like the MacBook and MacBook Air are extremely reliable yet lightweight, so they’re quite practical. These machines feature a robust frame that doesn’t feel heavy or restricting.
As for the software, you have several options to consider depending on your personal preferences. Apple products use IOS, which allows the user to browse the internet effortlessly. You can download your favorite writing software to explore the full potential of the laptop.
Windows operating systems are the most popular choices for most users. While IOS might be more professional and polished, Windows is user-friendly and easier to explore. However, with Windows, regular updates to your antivirus software program are necessary. Otherwise, your laptop would be at continuous risk.
Chromebooks use the Chrome operating system that suits writers who browse the net regularly. The cloud-based storage system means that your data will be safe but you’ll need a reliable internet connection to access your memory. However, you won’t need to install a virus scanner so your laptop will be properly protected.back to menu ↑
Best Screen Display
You don’t need a very professional display the way a gamer does. However, you need a reliable display that you can easily use while reading and writing.
The display should be clear and safe so you won’t feel strained after spending long hours working. Moreover, you have various options regarding the size so you can feel comfortable while writing. A small display means that your laptop will be compact and portable. However, it might not be the best option to consider if you get headaches or your eyes hurt after writing for a long time.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
Which laptop has the best keyboard for typing?
We recommend the Dell Inspiron or the MacBook Air, due to the attractive key travel distance and keyboard backlights.
Which laptop is best for freelancing?
The Asus Chromebook Flip is a lightweight yet robust option that won’t disappoint you if you like to move around.
What is the easiest laptop to use?
The Lenovo Flex is practical and comes equipped with Windows 10 so it can be used right out of the box. You should also consider the Asus Chromebook Flip, though it’s more expensive.
Is Chromebook good for writers?
Chromebooks run Chrome’s proprietary OS, which means they don’t need virus protection and don’t slow down with bloated software like Windows machines. They’re fully cloud-based, which means you don’t need to worry about losing work and they boot almost instantly. However, they require an internet connection to function fully, which can make them a pain when writing on the go.
Which MacBook is best for writers?
The MacBook Air offers a solid feature set at a reasonable price point, in our opinion. The MacBook Pro is more high-powered (and heavier), but for writers it’s probably overkill.
What does 2-in-1 laptop mean?
These are tablet/laptop hybrids, usually with a detachable or rotatable keyboard. This means you can use the screen as a touchscreen independently of the laptop itself.
If you are looking for laptops for writers on a budget, you know that it is a struggle. You need to have a laptop that you can afford so that you can make more money. Just remember that you are investing in yourself and in your business.