Best Laptop for Data Analysis – Data scientists are highly innovative professionals with high-end data processing requirements. Unless the data scientist always users a remote server to get the job done, a powerful laptop will continue to be a requirement.
If you are a seasoned professional who is only looking for storage, RAM, and processing speeds can go for the Asus ROG Strix Scar III or the Razer Blade Pro 17 from Razer. These gadgets also come in handy if you are looking to use the concept of GPU acceleration for neural networking.
If you are strictly looking for a MacBook, nothing beats the efficacy of the new Apple MacBook Pro. However, if you are a student or an aspiring professional with not-so intricate requirements, the Lenovo Yoga C740 is a decent enough device.
In the end, it all comes down to the criticality of your job and the nature of tools that you would be using for data visualization, data scripting, database management, and establishing connections with the data server.
The aforementioned list comprises of the best laptops for data science that are available in the market these days. With some great specifications, these laptops are have a multifaceted personality. You can use these for myriad other activities like quick browsing, enjoying games, video chatting as well as operating various applications related to data science.back to menu ↑
- 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
- 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 256GB Solid State Drive , No Optical Drive option
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
back to menu ↑
- Processor: 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10870H processor provides 8 cores with a 5.1 GHz turbo clock.
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 GPU with 16 GB vRAM is perfect for deep learning.
- Software: Pre-installed with PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, and NVIDIA CUDA Drivers.
- Storage: 2TB of fast storage for data science (1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA SSD)
- Memory: Massive 64 GB of system RAM and Thunderbolt 3 support.
back to menu ↑
- Zero-compromise powerhouse: Built for gaming and creative work in a 0.78" thin CNC aluminum unibody with high-performance vapor chamber cooling
- Futureproof design: Supports SSD and dual-channel memory upgradeability, Thunderbolt 3 enabled, compatible with Razer Core X external GPU enclosures for additional graphics power
- Perfect display for work or play: An edge-to-edge, 100% sRGB, factory-calibrated matte screen with a 240Hz refresh rate offers the best experience for both creative tasks or intense gaming sessions
- Customizable RGB individual key lighting: Illuminates in sync with Razer Chroma-supported peripherals and popular games with multiple lighting effects
- Biometric security: Supports Windows Hello instant facial unlock and authentification with integrated webcam and IR sensor
- Ultimate connectivity: Includes 1x Thunderbolt 3 USB-C 3.2, 1x USB-C, 3x USB 3.2 Type-A, 1x HDMI, 1x UHS-III SD card reader, 1x 2.5 Gbit ethernet port, and Wi-Fi 6 802. 11ax wireless
- Specifications: 9th Gen Intel Core i7 9750H 6 core processor w/ 2. 6GHz/4. 5GHz (base/max turbo), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q, 17.3" FHD 240Hz matte display, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD
back to menu ↑
4.Dell XPS 15
- 62% larger touchpad, 5% larger screen, and 5.6% smaller footprint
- 16:10 FHD+ edge to edge display equipped with DisplayHDR 400 and Dolby Vision
- Integrated Eyesafe display technology
- Quad speaker design with Waves Nx audio
- High-polished diamond-cut sidewalls
back to menu ↑
- Include Windows 10 Professional Activation Key, HP Warranty, 3 Years McAfee Internet Security(1 device) Activation Key on HP box, BEST LAPTOP by HP Authorized Partner
- Newest 10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 (1.3 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA GeForce MX330 (4 GB)
- 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (1x16GB), 1TB 7200RPM HDD+256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, 17.3" diagonal FHD, IPS, WLED-backlit, multitouch-enabled, edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080); HP Wide Vision HD Camera with camera shutter and integrated dual array digital microphone
- Precision Touchpad Support; Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds), Bang & Olufsen, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost, No DVD Writer
- 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (10 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A (5 Gb/s signaling rate, Data Transfer Only); 1 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A (5 Gb/s signaling rate, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 multi-format SD media card reader
back to menu ↑
- INSTANT GRATIFICATION – Experience a laptop with premium performance, so you can spend less time getting more done; it’s like a small PC that’s compact enough to go where you go with a long-lasting battery to power you through your day
- EPIC ENTERTAINMENT – With audio by B&O, a larger screen-to-body ratio, and a 15.6-inch Full HD micro-edged screen to maximize your view, entertainment on your laptop feels like bringing the theater home (1)
- IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS – The Intel Iris Xe Graphics gives you a new level of graphics performance with crisp, stunning visuals, plus the convenience of a thin and light laptop (2)
- UNSTOPPABLE PERFORMANCE – Get things done fast with the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, which delivers instant responsiveness and best-in-class connectivity (3)
- MEMORY AND STORAGE – Enjoy up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage (4) and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 16 GB of RAM
- WORK ON THE GO – Get work done on the go with a long battery life of up to 8 hours (5) while HP Fast Charge lets you go from 0 to 50% charge in approximately 45 minutes (6)
- OS AND WARRANTY – Do more with better peace of mind thanks to the HP 1-year limited hardware warranty and the seamlessly integrated Windows 10 Pro operating system (7)
- EFFORTLESSLY CONNECTED – Enjoy a smoother wireless experience with Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) (8) and Bluetooth 5.0 combo (9), all your connections are solid and up to 3x faster file transfer speeds than Wi-Fi 5 (10)
- FULL-SIZE KEYBOARD – Work comfortably with a full-sized keyboard, integrated numeric pad, and a Precision Touchpad
- ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY – Stay energy-efficient and sustainable with a laptop that is Energy Star certified (11), EPEAT Silver registered (12), and built with a low halogen display (13)
back to menu ↑
- Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor, 2.6GHz
- 17.3" LED-Lit, FHD, anti-glare, IPS display, 1920x1080 resolution
- 16GB RAM, 1TB 5400RPM HDD + 128GB SSD
- Discrete Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
- Windows 10
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1GHz) with Radeon Graphics | 16GB LPDDR4X Memory | 512GB NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1 - USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2.0 port & 1 - HDMI port
- Just 0.63" thin and 2.65 lbs and up to 11.5 hours of battery life!
back to menu ↑
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
back to menu ↑
- Powerful 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ quad-core 2.8GHz (Turbo up to 3.8GHz), standard voltage for full performance
- 15.6" Full HD color rich, anti-glare display and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB graphics for flawless visuals and portable gaming
- 15" wide and 0.8" ultra thin chassis for a portable & slim footprint; Illuminated keyboard; Harman/Kardon certified audio; Dual-fan thermal design
- Lightning-fast dual band 802.11ac Wi-Fi keeps you connected through any congestion or interference
- 16GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB M.2 SATA3 SSD + 1TB HDD combo for balanced speed and storage capacity; Windows 10; Comprehensive connections with USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.1 Type-A, USB 2.0, & HDMI. 178 degree wide-view technology
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Data Analysis- BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
The first question which we should ask ourselves is:
If so, we should choose the computer with a decent GPU. Usually, Nvidia will be the better choice as from years they work hard to support Deep Learning libraries. I recommend to choose the video card from GeForce GTX 16XX or RTX series.
Having the decent GPU on board will make easier to debug and work interactively on your code when you use Keras, TensorFlow, PyTorch or some other Deep Learning libraries. However, if you train something bigger, you can always use cloud resources to get extra GPUs or TPUs.
However, if we focus only on a simple models (e.g. built in scikit-learn/sklearn or R/RStudio/SAS/SPSS) and Deep Learning is not our thing, we can resign from the dedicated GPU or choose something lighter — e.g. MX family from Nvidia or GTX 1050.back to menu ↑
The second most important parameter to focus on is the memory. The more RAM we have, the less we have to care about our data size.
Working with the out-of-memory data set is less convenient. Of course, we can process the data in batches or use libraries which allow us to work with the bigger data — hiding under the hood exchanging the data between RAM and disk. However, it limits the tools which we can use and adds extra overhead to our code.
Spending a bit more on the memory pays off very quickly. It will save us a lot of time.
When Data Scientist look for the laptop, he should consider only notebooks with at least 16 GB RAM. However, I recommend to stick with 32 GB.
Usually, taking more than 32 GB is pointless as there is very limited choice. If 32 GB is not enough, we can always use the cloud resources.Photo by Isaac Smith on Unsplashback to menu ↑
If we want more power and we are going to use fully multiple cores then Intel i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 are the good option. However, we can save a bit using i5 or Ryzen 5 and they will also do a good job.back to menu ↑
We should choose laptop with at least 480 or 512 GB. A quite interesting option for a Data Scientist are computers with 2 disks — SSD and bigger HDD. Such notebooks allow us to have a fast SSD disk for operating system, installed software and libraries, and also keep projects on which we actively work. While the HDD disk can be an archive and a place to store bigger data sets.back to menu ↑
As an operating system, we should choose the one with which we feel the most comfortable. Personally, I prefer and recommend Linux as it support the most of the Data Scientist tool and Machine Learning libraries among all OSes.back to menu ↑
The other parameters are not so important particularly from a Data Science perspective so choose what suits us the most.
The screen size and weight, we can adjust depending on how often we travel with the computer and what type of transport do we use — public, car, bike, walking. And also taking into account if we use external monitor or rely solely on the built-in display.
Similarly with ports, think about all devices which you have or going to use and make sure that all needed ports are present.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should you consider the MacBook as a Data Scientist?
OS X or the macOS is inherently built on the UNIX platform which makes it better equipped towards handling demanding software sets and applications. Therefore, some of the more intricate tools for data prototyping, testing, and visualization work the best on MacBooks. Some of these include the Power Query and the Power Pivot that rely on dataset sharing.
Why a Multi-Core Processor is required for better data processing?
Most data processing tools like Python and R use all the available cores for processing data in the best possible manner, despite being single-threaded. Moreover, the likes of R.Data Table are multi-threaded in nature and require high-end processors to work in the desired manner.
Are Gaming laptops sufficient for Data Scientists?
The processing power of the device for a data scientist actually depends on the tasks he or she is looking to indulge in. For instance, if you are interested in building simple data models using the likes of statistical libraries like Keras and Tensorflow, a decent chunk of RAM is the only requirement, provided the device already shelters a powerful processor.
What is the role of GPU for a Data Scientist?
A powerful GPU is necessary only if the data scientist is looking to work with deep learning tools. Besides that, high-end GPUs are necessary if GPU-Modeling and neural networking are concerned.
What are the most important aspects to look for in a laptop for a professional data scientist?
To start with, a professional would first require loads of RAM, as datasets are directly processed into the memory and once the size exceeds the RAM, processing slows down. The next requirement is a sizeable SSD storage, precisely to lower the access time. Processor speed, including the base and turbo clocking frequencies, is necessary to consider, especially when working on the Azure Platform is concerned.
Although you won’t need a very powerful machine if you end to use the remote server for your work, however, to make the best use of the mentioned tools, the concerned device must feature a powerful, multi-core processor, decent and fast SSD based storage, and a sizable RAM. In addition to these, the device must also feature a decent display followed by an ergonomic keyboard and a cohesive collection of usable ports