Best Laptop for Pro Tools – We have tried to create an inclusive list of the best laptops you can use for Pro Tools. In doing so, we have managed to add both gaming laptops and performance-oriented Ultrabooks to the list.
Some laptops come under the $1000 price tag. So, if you are a struggling musician or a student, you should go for that option. Doing so would also mean that you can run only the basic version of Pro Tools. Despite that, such a laptop would be a great place to start
On the other hand, if you are someone who has to deal with high-end projects, it’s better that you go for something like MacBook Pro or a high-end gaming laptop from the list.
If budget is not a concern to you, then getting a higher end laptop with a recent processor and plenty of RAM shouldn’t be a problem. A lot of people say that macs are best for anything related to Music Production and working with audio, which might be true to some extent, but it doesn’t mean that Windows laptops suck. In fact, a lot of High end Windows laptops are far superior to anything you get from a Macback to menu ↑
- Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor
- 16 GB DDR4. GTX 970M NO G-SYNC
- 1 TB HDD + 256 GB SATA SSD Storage; Optical Drive Not included
- 17.3 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife Screen
- Windows 10 Home Operating System; Epic Silver Chassis. Please Note: Kindly refer the User Guide for the troubleshooting steps.
back to menu ↑
2.Asus ROG Strix
- 【Upgraded Powerful Storage】: 32GB DDR4 SDRAM Memory, 1TB Solid State Drive. We have professional modified/upgraded, if necessary, to the detailed specs, as you can find in the product listing title and technical descriptions
- 【Asus ROG Strix G15 i7 10th gen】: The Powerful and Fast 10th Generation Intel Core i7 Processors, Intel Octa-Core i7-10870H(>i9-9880H), 2.20GHz base frequency, up to 5.00GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB Intel Smart Cache, 16 Threads
- 【Asus ROG Strix G15 15.6】 : 15.6 inch Full HD ( 1920 x 1080 ) IPS 240Hz 3ms response Display, Dedicated 6GB GDDR6 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Intel UHD Graphics 630
- 【External Ports and Slots】: 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C with DisplayPort 1.4 and G-SYNC, 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A, 1 x HDMI, 1 x LAN 10/100/1000 Mbps, 1 x headphone/microphone combo jack
- 【Operating System】 : Windows 10 Home (64-bit), RGB Backlit Keyboard, Wi-Fi 6(802.11ax) and Bluetooth, Accessory Including a Delca 32GB Micro SD Card
back to menu ↑
- 【Memory & Storage】32GB DDR4 SDRAM for enhanced high bandwidth to easily switch back and forth between open applications; 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD for fast boot up, ample storage space and speedy data transfer; Original seal will be opened by our engineers for upgrade ONLY, 1-Years Warranty on upgraded RAM/SSD/HDD from PConline365, and original 1-Year Manufacture Warranty on remaining components
- 【Super Fast Processor and Graphics】AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 8-Core, 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz Max Boost Technology, and GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6 dedicated) with Ray Tracing tech accelerate speeds to enhance your productivity and gaming performance
- 【Crystal Clear & Seamless Display】15.6-inch diagonal Full HD 1080p, IPS, anti-glare, WLED-backlit, 300 nits (1920 x1080) display with 144Hz refresh rate
- 【Tech Specs】 1 x SuperSpeed USB Type-C; 3 x SuperSpeed USB Type-A; 1 x HDMI 2.0a, 1 x mini DP, 1 x RJ-45, 1 x Headphone/Mic Combo Jack; 1 x Media card reader; 1 x Power Jack; integrated HP Wide Vision 720P HD Webcam, 4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard with 26-Key Rollover Anti-Ghosting Key technology, B&O Audio with dual speakers, WiFi 6 AX (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0 combo; An extra PCIe M.2 slot to easily expand your storage space
- 【Included in the package】Mousepad from PConline365
back to menu ↑
- Intel Core i7-8565U 1. 80GHz Processor (8th Gen, upto 4. 60 GHz, 8MB Smart Cache, 4-Cores) ; 16GB DDR4 SODIMM RAM
- NVIDIA Quadro P520 2GB GDDR5 Integrated Graphics
- 15. 6" Full HD (1920x1080) Display; 802. 11ac Wifi, Bluetooth 5. 0, Ethernet LAN (RJ-45), 720p HD Webcam, Fingerprint Security System, Black Color
- 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD; 2xUSB3. 1, 1xHDMI, 1xThunderbolt Port, 1xType-C USB, Micro SD Reader, 3. 5mm Combo Jack. , Windows 10 Pro-64, 3-Cell 57 WHr Battery, 1 Year Manufacturer from GreatPriceTech (Professionally upgraded by GreatPriceTech)
- Includes Portable USB 3. 0 Data Hub
back to menu ↑
- Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8850H Processor (6 Core, 2.60GHz, Up to 4.30GHz with Turbo Boost, 9MB Cache, 45W)
- 15.6 inch UltraSharp FHD (1920x1080) IGZO4 Anti-Glare Non-Touch 72% Color Gamut, Platinum Silver | NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4GB GDDDR5
- 32GB DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM 2666MHz
- 512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
- Dell Factory Refurbished | One Year Dell Warranty
back to menu ↑
- 【Upgraded Configuration】Its seal box is opened during upgrade for better performance. Substantial high-bandwidth 16GB RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once. A flash-based 512GB SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and reduced heat production and power draw on the battery. A 1TB hard drive provides massive amounts of storage for daily backups.
- 【9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H mobile processor】Smart quad-core, eight-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology (up to 4.5 GHz) delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't. Smoothly handle the demands of multitasking to efficiently complete your next project.
- 【15.6” FHD Display】The 1920x1080 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity. Enjoy super fast frame rates with the 144Hz IPS-level display. Enjoy the tactile feel of keys with a travel distance of 1.6mm. Add some excitement to your gaming and play in dimly lit environments with the red backlit keyboard.
- 【NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Graphics】Backed by 6GB GDDR6 dedicated video memory for an ultrafast, advanced GPU to fuel your games.
- 【Woov Accessory Bundle】Bundled with Woov Mouse Pad featuring high-quality cloth surface promotes smooth mouse gliding and enhanced precision.
back to menu ↑
- Smooth Display: The 17.3” 240Hz display delivers a high refresh rate for smooth and vibrant gameplay so you don't miss a frame of the game
- Powered Up: The 10th Gen. Intel Core i7 processor, delivers solid high performance processing power to bring you an unparalleled gaming experience
- Supercharged Graphics: The RTX 2060 features ray tracing to deliver physically accurate shadows, reflections and lighting for better visual gameplay
- Play Cool: Featuring CPU and GPU cooling technology to maximize airflow and thermals for smooth gaming and performance within a compact chassis
- Lightning Speeds: Sporting a Thunderbolt 3 port, get up to 40Gbps transfer speeds and up to 100 Watts power delivery for faster charging
back to menu ↑
8.Acer Predator Helios
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 5.0 GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- Overclockable NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz Dual-Channel Memory, 512GB NVMe SSD (2 x M.2 slots; 1 slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- 4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard | Wireless: Killer Double Shot Pro Wireless-AX 1650i 802. 11ax Wi-Fi 6; LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; DTS X: Ultra-Audio; 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan
- Connectivity technology: Bluetooth
back to menu ↑
- Zero-compromise powerhouse: Built for gaming and creative work in a 0.78" thin CNC aluminum unibody with high-performance vapor chamber cooling
- Futureproof design: Supports SSD and dual-channel memory upgradeability, Thunderbolt 3 enabled, compatible with Razer Core X external GPU enclosures for additional graphics power
- Perfect display for work or play: An edge-to-edge, 100% sRGB, factory-calibrated matte screen with a 240Hz refresh rate offers the best experience for both creative tasks or intense gaming sessions
- Customizable RGB individual key lighting: Illuminates in sync with Razer Chroma-supported peripherals and popular games with multiple lighting effects
- Biometric security: Supports Windows Hello instant facial unlock and authentification with integrated webcam and IR sensor
- Ultimate connectivity: Includes 1x Thunderbolt 3 USB-C 3.2, 1x USB-C, 3x USB 3.2 Type-A, 1x HDMI, 1x UHS-III SD card reader, 1x 2.5 Gbit ethernet port, and Wi-Fi 6 802. 11ax wireless
- Specifications: 9th Gen Intel Core i7 9750H 6 core processor w/ 2. 6GHz/4. 5GHz (base/max turbo), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q, 17.3" FHD 240Hz matte display, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD
back to menu ↑
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- 32GB DDR4-2400MHz, 1TB Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB DDR5 Graphics
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Pro Tools- BUYER’S GUIDE
Processor: Getting a fast processor is the first thing to consider in order to get the best laptop to run Pro Tools. Although Avid recommends a minimum Intel core i5 processor, it is actually quite vague, considering laptop processors are optimized for battery life, and thus perform less in comparison to a full desktop processor. And that’s why we mostly recommend an i7 processor for using Pro Tools on a laptop. For a trouble-free performance, it’s well worth the extra money.
RAM: As you can see judging from the official system requirements, Pro Tools needs a lot of RAM to run without lags. While it’s possible to run the software on an 8GB RAM Laptop, we recommend at least a laptop with 16GB of RAM, or more. Another thing to consider is to check the maximum amount of RAM the laptop supports, and if there is a free RAM slot, in case you’ll need to upgrade the RAM in the Future.
Storage: We always recommend our visitors to go for a laptop with a solid state drive (SSD), over one with a traditional HDD. Although it’s more expensive per storage amount, the SSD enables your laptop to boot faster. Eventually, it will recover your files quicker as you build up a large digital library. Also, contrary to a HDD, a SSD doesn’t make any sounds as it runs.
Ports: When it comes to Pro tools and music production in general, you’ll need to connect your laptop to external devices such as an audio interface, a Midi controller, or an external display. So getting a laptop that comes with a decent amount of ports is essential in order to run Pro Tools properly. One of the things to ask yourself is if the laptop has a USB Type-C or Thunderbolt port? As it becomes the worldwide standard, it will come in handy for plugging in any of your other devices. If you’re going to use additional monitors, then a HDMI or VGA port is a must. So, have you cut down your options to a few? Just pick the one that tickles you the most!
Graphics Card: A laptop with a dedicated graphics card is highly recommended for Pro Tools. In Pro Tools 12, there is some work that is done on the GPU side of things, and a lot of plugins and virtual instruments rely heavily on the graphics card too. A good graphics will certainly make a difference when using Pro Tools.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I spend on a laptop for Pro Tools?
As you have seen above, many laptops can run Pro Tools, but the final decision depends on your requirements. For instance, if you are a professional who deals with a lot of content, we’d say you must have a budget of around $1500. If you’re a mid-level professional or a beginner, the sub-$1000 laptops should do the job!
Why are Pro Tools laptops expensive?
This is mainly because of the hardware used in the products. As you may know, Pro Tools is a software that requires a lot of resources, especially processing power. Now, including an i7 processor in the package costs a considerable amount of money.
Can I play games on these laptops?
In most cases, you can. See, the prerequisites for running games and Pro Tools are almost the same in most cases. The only addition in the case of gaming laptops is dedicated graphics. Then again, many laptops made for Pro Tools come with a dedicated graphics card.
What are some must-have features in a laptop for music production?
Once again, the answer may depend on the use-case scenario. One thing we can say for sure is connectivity. Because you will be connecting audio devices and MIDI, the laptop should have the right set of ports. On top of this, the laptop should also support HDMI for extended screens.
Are there Ultrabooks that run audio production software?
Definitely. Ultrabooks have come a long way since their inception and there are some performance-based Ultrabooks in the market. Choosing one of these laptops means that you can enjoy a seamless performance without losing the benefits of portability.
With its latest release, Pro Tools 12 is a popular audio recording and producing software. And whether you’re already a professional, or simply planning to create a studio of your own at home, you probably already know that Pro Tools is the industry standard when it comes to High End Music Production. Getting a laptop for Pro Tools can be quite tricky, mostly because there are plenty of plugins and virtual instruments that you’ll use along with the program and these plugins have different system requirements.