Best Laptop for Writers and Photographers – The above laptops are our favorite recommendations for writers. Laptops make great gifts for writers and great gifts for teachers, so be sure to add a new laptop to your holiday shopping list.
They will hopefully increase your productivity and comfort while you are writing. A comfortable keyboard combined with an extra-long battery life will do wonders for a writer’s content creation. However, don’t forget to get laptop accessories to make the laptop even more effective.
The review is the best Guidance for all writers and photographers in a sense because of its best collection. This Guide will help you with respect to laptop’s Storage issues and all the basic requirements necessary for writers and photographers.
For a writer, the laptop is a trusty partner; a secret weapon. A decent internet connection and a decent laptop can surely help you conquer the world as a writer. Hence, choosing a new laptop that will accompany you for a long time is no light decision. But remember, investing in a good laptop will not dent your bank account, but rather improve your productivity as writer, helping you earn good. Hence, it is important to save money for a good laptop rather than opting for the cheapest option available. Staying on a budget is good, but do check out its features carefully when buying it specifically to get your writing or other technical job done. It may be hard to find a laptop that has the best of all of the above mentioned qualities. Therefore, ensure you decide which features are good to have, which are nonnegotiable and which are irrelevant to you.back to menu ↑
- Renewed products look and work like new. These pre-owned products have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers, which typically perform a full diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, and a thorough cleaning process. Packaging and accessories may be generic. All products on Amazon Renewed come with a minimum 90-day supplier-backed warranty.
- 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz, 6 MB shared L3 cache)
- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM / 512 GB Solid State Drive PCIe-based Flash Storage
- 15.4-inch IPS Retina Display, 2880-by-1800 resolution
- Intel Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics
back to menu ↑
- Good to Go: Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours  so you don't need to carry a charger. And when you do need a charge get up to 2 hours of use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going. 
- Made to move Pixelbook Go is lightweight - Barely 2 pounds It's 13 millimeter thin with a grippable design making it easier to carry 
- Get it done Fast: Pixelbook Go starts up in seconds and makes working a breeze. The 8th Gen Intel Core Processor is quick and responsive powering everything you do. And Chrome OS doesn't slow down over time so it always feels like new. 
- Go without worry: Pixelbook Go is designed to prevent things from getting off track. The Titan C security chip and built-in anti-virus software help protect your data. And Chrome OS updates automatically always giving you the latest features and security. 
- Built for comfort: A backlit keyboard and Hush Keys make using Pixelbook Go comfortable and quiet. The touchpad is spacious and accurate so you only need to use a light touch. The fan less design stays cool to let you comfortably use it on your lap.
- Ready to entertain: With brilliant 13.3" HD touchscreen display and dual stereo speakers you get amazing picture and sound for watching movies editing photos, or video chatting. 
- Please refer to the product description section below for all applicable legal disclaimers denoted by the bracketed numbers in the preceding bullet points (e.g. , , etc.)
- Google Pixelbook Go packaged with a Google Seal for Online Marketplace
back to menu ↑
- Precision cut from a block of aluminum in two pieces so there is no variability in construction.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 6 is tough, damage resistant, durable, elegant and allows for no flex in its display.
- Dual fans separated to spread heat over a larger area, to dual heat pipes to hidden exhaust venting through the hinge,
- The power button lets you log on with just a touch
- A 2.25mm high quality HD webcam gives you the best camera experience.
back to menu ↑
- The rugged and flexible 360 degree high strength zinc alloy hinge and 11.6” HD touchscreen lets you use the C214 in tablet stand or laptop mode and has 2 cameras for endless possibilities.
- Rugged and lightweight Mil-STD-810G construction protects the C214 from drops and accidents as well as spills with a liquid resistant keyboard design.
- Unlock the power of Chromebooks with access to your favorite Chrome Web Store apps like Google Docs and it is Google Play Store/Android app ready.
- Starts up in seconds and lasts all day, thanks to a long battery life rated up to 12 hours*.
- Intel Dual-Core Apollo Lake N4000 processor, with 32GB storage and 4GB DDR4 RAM for fast and efficient performance both online and offline.
back to menu ↑
- Intel Core i5-6300U 2. 4 GHz processor with Intel HD Graphics 520, 256GB SSD Drive
- 8GB RAM, Wireless: 802. 11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4. 0
- Ports: Full-size USB 3. 0; microSD card reader; Headphone jack; Mini DisplayPort; Cover port; Charging port, Camera: 5MP front-facing and 8MP rear-facing cameras with 1080p HD video recording
- Display: 12. 3-inch PixelSense touchscreen display; 2736 x 1824 resolution, Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound
- Operating System: Windows 10 Professional, This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging
back to menu ↑
- Newly Launched HP Spectre x360 13T Cutting Edge GEM CUT Design - 10TH GENERATION QUAD CORE CPU: Intel Core i7-1065G7 (1.3 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) four-way processing 1.30 GHz to 3.9 GHz with 8 MB SmartCache, high-efficiency performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology WINDOWS 10 HOME 64 BIT PRE INSTALLED BY HP, NEW Features - Web Cam Kill Switch, Mic Mute Key, Fingerprint reader
- UNMATCHED AUDIO PERFORMANCE with QUAD Bang & Olufsen speakers: The partnership between Bang & Olufsen and HP brings premium sound to your personal computing device. With HP Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and custom tuning by the experts at Bang & Olufsen, entertainment comes to life with sound you can feel.
- SUPERIOR SPEED and NETWORKING: Fast Data Access with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 Combo. Security management Mic Mute key; Webcam kill switch, 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C with Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)
- IMPRESSIVE HD PANEL with HD Active Stylus Pen and Thunderbolt Support: Experience exceptional colors and clarity with 13.3" Full HD touch screen (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) for hands-on control and IPS technology for wide viewing angles. 13.3" diagonal FHD IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen with NBT, HP Active Stylus Pen, USB-C port, Thunderbolt support & SD card reader
- 16GB SDRAM(ONBAORD), Bang & Olufsen Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, Fingerprint Reader, ALSO includes a Super Sleek, Super cool, 64GB ULTRA SLIM Tech Warehouse LLC USB Flash drive. A speedy little performer with a great look! Please see picture illustrations for more information
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1 GHz) with Radeon Graphics; 8GB LPDDR4 Memory; 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax; HD webcam (1280 x 720); Backlit keyboard; Fingerprint reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3. 2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1- USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2. 0 port & 1 - HDMI port
- Just 0.63" thin and 2.65 pounds and up to 11.5 hours of battery life
back to menu ↑
- CUTTING-EDGE SECURITY: State-of-the-art security features include Webcam Kill Switch and integrated fingerprint reader
- BIOS RECOVERY AND PROTECTION: Automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot-up issues
- DISTINCTIVE DESIGN: High-quality, durable, all-metal case built to last, with premium design features including a brilliant backlit keyboard and geometric pattern speaker grill
- SUPER FAST PROCESSOR: 8th Generation Intel(R) CoreTM i7-8565U, Dual Core, 1.8GHZ UP TO 4.6GHZ
- 4K DISPLAY: 13.3-inch diagonal 4K IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touchscreen with Corning(R) Gorilla(R) Glass NBT(TM) (3840 x 2160)
- MEMORY AND HARD DRIVE: 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (not upgradable), 512 GB PCIe(R) NVMeTM M.2 Solid State Drive
- BATTERY LIFE: Up to 12 hours and 45 minutes (mixed usage), up to 9 hours and 45 minutes (video playback), up to 5 hours and 45 minutes (wireless streaming)
- DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT (unpackaged): 12.08 in (H) x 8.32 in (W) x 0.57 in (L); 2.82 pounds
- OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Home
- WARRANTY: 1-year limited hardware warranty with 24-hour, 7 days a week web support
back to menu ↑
- With the 7th generation AMD A6-9225 dual-core 2.6GHz processor you are guaranteed the reliable performance you need to work and play. Enjoy long-lasting durability on a laptop designed to do what you want with ease.
- 15.6" Display typical 1366 x 768 HD resolution. Energy-efficient LED backlight. AMD Radeon R4 integrated graphics
- 4GB DDR4-2400 sdram, 500GB HDD Storage; DVD-RW
- 802.11AC, Bluetooth, HD Webcam, supports SD, multimedia card, SDHC and SDXC memory card formats, Stereo speakers, headphone/Microphone combo jack
- Windows 10 Home, 0.9" Thin, 4.63lbs weight, battery: 2-cell
back to menu ↑
- Thin & light 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Narrow Border WVA Display
- 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)
- 8GB 3200MHz DDR4, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig) Bluetooth 5.1
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Writers and Photographers – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
The majority of computer users prefer to write and take care of all their word processing needs with Microsoft Word. Apple has its own word processor, Pages, though it’s recently included Microsoft Office compatability as well.
However, ever since Microsoft Office 365 moved to a subscription system, many users are finding that Office Online and Google Docs are great free alternative, not to mention the vast array of other programs, from DropBox Paper to LibreOffice.
Which one are you used to? Which one do you prefer? That’s your decision. But if you want to go with Apple, know that it will make it harder or impossible for you to use Microsoft software, and vice versa.back to menu ↑
As a writer, you will be using your keyboard more than most laptop-users, so make sure it’s one that you can live with for a long time. If you can, go to the store and test the keyboards in person. Your body will tell you what feels best.
Whether you buy your laptop in-store or online, here are some keyboard factors to take into consideration:
- Key placement: The ctrl/command button should be leftmost so your pinky can find it quickly to perform necessary commands without error.
- Arrowpad: This should have page up and down as options to make navigation easier.
- Caps lock: It’s helpful if the caps lock key is recognizable by touch (sunken or otherwise notable) so that you don’t accidentally create typing errors.
- Backspace key: Should be of a good size and position so that you can quickly correct typos by feel without creating more typos.
- Backlighting: For me, this is an optional perk. It’s nice if your laptop keys light up if you like typing in the dark, but otherwise, no backlighting is fine, too.
- No bottoming out: A good keyboard makes it difficult to hit the bottom of your keyboard with a lot of force when you’re typing, reducing soreness and increasing speed. The more space between the key and the base, the less likely you will bottom out.
- Good feedback: keys should be springy, not stiff, with a touch of resistance to avoiod bottoming out.
Portability: Size and Weight
If you are a digital nomad or you like to take your laptop to coffee shops to gather inspiration by people-watching, then you need to consider your new laptop’s size and weight.
Ideally, you want a laptop of 4 pounds or less. And a screen size of between 13-15 is usually a safe bet for most writers. (That is in inches, measured diagonally).
Larger screens are easier on the eyes and also offer more space for a larger keyboard, but smaller screens are more portable. You can decide which factor matters more to you.back to menu ↑
If you are a traveling writer, another important consideration when looking for your perfect writer’s laptop is durability.
The most durable laptops will have a metal or aluminum chassis, whereas the most lightweight laptops are not necessarily known for surviving rough usage.
Also, if you want a really hardy laptop, consider getting one with a solid state drive instead of the HDD, or even hybrid.
Because Hard Disk Drives use a spinning disk to save information, and when jostled or dropped, are more easily disturbed (read: broken) than their SSD counterparts.
That said, it might be worth it to invest in a quality padded laptop bag or backpack as well, to make sure that even if you do jostle or drop your laptop on accident, it will survive.back to menu ↑
If you want to write outdoors or in places where an outlet may not be readily available, it helps to have a laptop with a long-lasting battery, so you don’t have to lug around unwieldy laptop cords every time you change settings.
Generally speaking, you’ll want a laptop with a battery life of at least 8 hours. The more the better. To verify the expected battery life, look around online for reviews of the laptop you’re interested in buying.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questionsback to menu ↑
How Much Should I Spend on a Laptop?
While your budget is a personal decision, you can generally buy a great laptop for less than $1,000. This list even has some amazing options for less than $500. Unless you’re paying for the brand (MacBooks are more expensive because of the Apple brand), the more you pay, the better specs you get in terms of processing power, memory, battery life, etc.back to menu ↑
What Are the Minimum Specs I Should Get?
We recommend getting at least a 256 GB hard drive, 4 GB of RAM, an i5 processor or higher, and battery life of at least 4 hours.back to menu ↑
Should I Get Windows or Mac?
The decision to get a laptop with Windows or Mac is really a personal decision. If you are used to using a Mac, then get a Mac. Otherwise, Window PCs tend to be cheaper and have more software compatibility.back to menu ↑
If you think that any laptop on the market can be the best laptop for writers, you’re sadly wrong. Writers, like photographers, video editors, and designers, have special needs for laptops, even if the uninitiated think that all they need is word processing software and a functional keyboard.