Best Laptops for Civil Engineering Students – Over time the rapid advancements in technology have greatly impacted every field of study, and civil engineering isn’t different at all. Civil engineering is a field that demands the use of heavy-duty software for creating 3D modeling, architectural designs, rendering and, the list goes on. Hence, a high-performance workstation is a necessity for every engineering student.
1.Dell XPS 13
Pros & Cons
- WINDOWS 11: Free Upgrade to Windows 11 when available (see below)
- 13.4-inch FHD (Full HD 1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
- 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8 GHz)
- 16GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x , 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2 x 2) Bluetooth 5.1
- Including 2 Year On-Site and 6 months Dell Migrate easily move your files and settings from your old PC to your new Dell
- Using Alexa on your PC is as easy as asking a question. Just ask and Alexa can check your calendar, create lists, play music, answer questions, read the news and more.
If you were tempted to buy an XPS 13 earlier this year following its significant redesign (model 9300) but didn’t pull the trigger, it’s a good thing you waited. Now you can get everything we like about the new laptop with the added bonus of the latest Intel silicon.
The CPU bump is essentially the only change from the 9300 to the current model 9310, but it’s an important one if you plan to keep your machine for five years or more. Dell does churn out new XPS 13 models at a prodigious rate, sometimes multiple times per year. Still, a brand-new processor and a physical redesign that’s not even a year old make the 9310 a safe buy for people who don’t want their expensive investment to be upstaged by something vastly better in a few months.
2.ASUS ROG Strix Scar
Pros & Cons
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB GDDR6 with ROG Boost up to 1645MHz at 115W (130W with Dynamic Boost 2.0)
- Latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Processor (16M Cache, up to 4.6 GHz)
- 300Hz 3ms 15.6” FHD 1920 x 1080 IPS-Type Display
- 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | 1TB PCIe SSD
- ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system with Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal Thermal Compound
The Asus ROG Strix Scar 17 G733 series is a direct successor to last year’s ROG Strix Scar 17 G732 series by introducing a refreshed chassis, 360 Hz FHD display, AMD Zen 3 Cezanne CPUs, 130 W TGP Nvidia Ampere GPUs, and a new integrated mechanical keyboard.
The year-to-year updates are significant on this model when considering that the G732 was running on Intel CPUs and Turing GPUs instead. Asus is offering no Intel options at the moment meaning the company is betting big on AMD and its latest generation of Ryzen CPUs.
3.Apple MacBook Pro
Pros & Cons
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever
- 8-core GPU with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
- 8GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
- Active cooling system sustains incredible performance
- 13.3-inch Retina display with 500 nits of brightness for vibrant colors and incredible image detail
- FaceTime HD camera with advanced image signal processor for clearer, sharper video calls
The MacBook Pro 13-inch (M1, 2020) is a watershed moment for Apple’s Pro line. That’s because, along with the MacBook Air (M1, 2020) and the Mac mini (M1, 2020) that launched at the same time, it has moved Apple into a new era. Instead of using Intel CPUs that have powered all of the company’s computers for a while now, it uses the new Apple-made M1 chip. This upgrade to the laptop line is the first truly big leap that it has seen in a long time.
That’s not to say that it looks all that different from previous models. In fact, as big of a change as the M1 chip is, it’s the only big upgrade the Pro 13-inch gets. If you have a 2019 or even an early 2020 model, for instance, you’ll probably want to wait a few generations before getting a Pro with an M1 chip.
4.Acer Aspire 5
Pros & Cons
- 10th Generation Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor (Up to 3.4GHz) | 4GB DDR4 On-Board Memory | 128GB NVMe SSD
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS Display | Intel UHD Graphics
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader | Up to 8 Hours Battery Life
- 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port & 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP Support
- With Windows 10 Home (S mode), you’ll experience fast start-ups, a familiar yet expanded start menu, and great new ways to get stuff done.
While it may look dated, under the hood, the Acer Aspire 5 is a powerful piece of kit thanks to the 10th Gen Intel Core processor with a fast M.2 SSD. Then, factor in 8GB of RAM, a decent 48Wh battery and 1080p IPS panel and what you get is complete reliability.
What’s more, as tested this is the 14-inch Acer Aspire 5 A514-52-582Y model (15-inch models and variants running AMD processors are also available), so despite the mediocre screen to body ratio this remains a pretty portable device.
Connectivity isn’t bad either, with USB Type-C and ethernet in the mix. It covers most bases. There are certainly better-looking laptops at this price (head to our general best laptops ranking for more of those). But despite that, the Acer Aspire 5 presents a pretty strong overall package. Read on to find out more.
5.Lenovo Yoga C740-14
Pros & Cons
- Windows 10 Home, 2-in-1 14" inch 1920 x 1080 FHD Touch-Screen
- Intel 10th Generation Core i5-10210U 1.6 GHz
- 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz 6MB Cache, 256GB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics
- 1xUSB 3.0 Type A Ports, 2x USB 3.1 Type C Ports, 1x Headphone/microphone combo jack
- Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint reader, 4-cell Lithium-ion, DVD/CD drive does not included
At 3 pounds (1.4kg), the C740 is about a half pound heavier than its predecessor, but it also jumps from a 13.3-inch display to a 14-inch one. Oddly, though, their bodies are similar in size and the C740 is actually shorter because Lenovo eliminated much of the display’s bottom bezel.
The display itself has good color and brightness, though you’ll still have to see past reflections outside or under bright office lighting. The 720p webcam above the screen has one of Lenovo’s little sliding shutters that physically blocks the camera. And if you like using digital assistants, the C740 has far-field mics and Amazon Alexa support, too. You can access it even when you’re not actively using the laptop.
Best Laptops for Civil Engineering Students – An ideal workstation for civil engineering students should have specific configurations like larger memory storage, good battery life, and suitable RAM capacity. These particular features will ensure that all advanced programming activities are carried out smoothly and efficiently. Luckily for you, in our guide on the best laptop for civil engineering students, we’ve shortlisted the high-end high-performing best laptops for your reviewal.