Best Camera Monitors – Camera monitors can be great tools for filmmakers offering flexibility in monitoring and recording or even wireless. It’s important to consider the features that fit your workflow needs. Finding that perfect balance between functionality and price point starts by asking yourself a question: What type of monitor is best for me? If you have found a preferred monitor already, let us know in the comments below.
1.Atomos Ninja V
Pros & Cons
- 1920 x 1200 Touchscreen Display
- 10-Bit Exterior Viewable Monitor
- 4K HDMI Input
- Download the latest AtomOS Firmware from Atomos
- AtomHDR Mode with 10-Stop Dynamic Range
The Atomos Ninja V could be one of the best video accessories you buy. If you use your mirrorless camera to shoot video then you’ll soon realize the standard screen is small and often difficult to see, especially if it isn’t fully articulated. And the majority lack professional-style monitoring tools like waveforms, vectorscopes or false color. Almost all mirrorless cameras have limits on how long you can record for and the footage is often heavily compressed to squeeze onto memory cards.
By using a combined on-camera monitor and recorder unit like the Atomos Ninja V, not only do you get a better view of what’s going on but tools to help you set your camera accurately in terms of focusing and exposure. And for many, the biggest benefit is the recorder often improves the actual quality of the footage.
Pros & Cons
Add professional monitoring and high-quality recording to virtually any camera with the Video Assist 5″ 12G-SDI/HDMI HDR Recording Monitor from Blackmagic Design. It features a bright 5″, 1920 x 1080 display with 2500 cd/m² brightness to help you frame and focus your shots, and provides 12G-SDI and HDMI inputs for recording the video output from professional and consumer cameras. You can monitor and record HDR video up to DCI 4K, UHD 4K, 2K, or HD 10-bit 4:2:2 and up to 16 channels of embedded 24-bit 48 kHz audio.
The Video Assist records using a single high-speed UHS-II SD slot to SDHC/XC memory cards. You can also use the USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port to record to an external drive, as well as use it for configuring and upgrading the monitor. Video is recorded using industry-standard Apple ProRes (HQ, 422, LT, or Proxy) and Avid DNxHD and DNxHR codecs.
Pros & Cons
- 【5.5 inch IPS Touch Screen】The F6 PLUS monitor for 5.5" IPS screen features a 1920 x 1080 resolution, packing 400 pixels per inch and provides a wide viewing angle of 160° and for easier off-axis position monitoring. Built-in 3D LUT color calibration, which complies with the standard of REC-709, can calibrate each monitors so that it can eliminate the trouble of color cast.
- 【Newest Innovative Touch Screen】 Easy Touchscreen Controls,Freely Zoom In and Out OCR Full-fit Screen Design The monitor uses OCR full-fit technology and high-strength, scratch-resistant, impact-resistant glass. Use simple tap and swipe gestures to make adjustments! The built-in monitor is also an interactive touchscreen that makes setting up the F6 PLUS incredibly intuitive. allowing you to use simple tap and swipe gestures to change function setting
- 【4K HDMI In/Output without Delay】The F6 PLUS has 4K HDMI in and loop-out, allowing it to not only display live signals, but also send them out to other monitors simultaneously. It's the ability to display live picture on multiple displays at once while still maintaining the original video quality. Plus, you can monitor audio using the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.
- 【3D Lut Supported Monitor】The monitor will load 3D Lut files via the SD card slot. You can easily load, edit, and display your files.Max 50 lut file can be loaded. 【8V DC Output】Real-time to power your dslr cameras (For Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Canon Cameras). 8V DC power output via a DC Coupler (not include) will continue powering your dslr cameras for long time shooting and time lapse photograph
- 【Triple Power Source】Accepts the Sony-np-f series battery as well the Canon LP-E6 battery as power source. Beside those, the monitor accept the DC Adapters(5.5MM/2.1MM Pin Dimension) The LP-E6 batteries and DC Adapter were NOT Included （Package inlcue a l-series battery and battery charger）Please remove the battery after use in case the monitor will drain the battery out
Feelworld is known for making one of the best budget camera monitors. I’ve used the F7 model for a long time but I wanted something smaller and I went with the F6 model that has a smaller 5.7” display and some other useful features. Learn more in our Feelworld F6 review.
In terms of the design, the Feelworld F6 is made of quality plastic. Even though the difference is not significant, I found the overall build quality to be slightly better than the F7 monitor that I also like using.
4.SmallHD Focus OLED
Pros & Cons
The FOCUS is powered by a standard Sony L-battery, those large batteries that can pack lots of electrons. SmallHD also has a kit of accessories to fit a fake battery inside your camera so that the big L-battery powers both your camera and the FOCUS monitor!
One of the accessories that comes with the FOCUS is a tilt arm that allows you to install the monitor in your camera’s hotshoe mount. The display can tilt from face to back very easily and it even auto-rotates the image on the display. The word that keeps coming up in my head is simplicity.
Pros & Cons
- Free Gifts offer by official seller VIVITEQ : Canon LP-E6 plate and 12V AC ADAPTER
- 4K HDMI Input & Loop Output: HDMI Singal Can Loop Outpout to The Other Monitor or Device when HDMI Signal Input to Lilliput A7S Monitor 7" 8Bit 16:10 IPS LCD Panel: 1920x1200 Native Resolution(324ppi), 1000:1 High Contrast, 500cd/㎡ High Brightness and 170 Degree Wide Viewing Angle
- Camera Auxiliary Functions: Peaking/Peaking Color/Peaking Level/False Color/Exposure/Exposure Level/Histogram and Audio Level Meter F1 F2 Customisable Keys: You Can Program Them to Allow for A Shortcut Through to Most Used In-Monitor Functions Instead of Scrolling Through Menus
- Camera Auxiliary Functions: Peaking/Peaking Color/Peaking Level/False Color/Exposure/Exposure Level/Histogram and Audio Level Meter
- Compact Lightweight Durable: 20.5mm Thickness and 320g Weight, Extremely Convenient for Cameraman in Outdoor or Handheld Applications. Silicon Rubber Case with Sun Shade, Providing An Overall Protection From Frop, Shock, Sunlight and Bright Light Environment
The A7S 7″ Full HD Monitor with red rubber case from Lilliput features an HDMI 1.4 input, making it suitable for UHD 4K filmmaking and photography. With a 16:10 aspect ratio and 1000:1 contrast ratio, the LCD panel displays Full HD images. The HDMI loop-through function allows you to output via HDMI to any other compatible device.
If you have upgraded to the 4K workspace, the A7S offers control over your shooting workflow both in the field and studio. You can create shortcuts to your favorite and most used monitor functions using the two customizable function keys. You can mount the monitor onto your camera by attaching the included shoe mount adapter to the 1/4″-20 threads at the bottom. You can also use the VESA 75 hole at the back to attach the A7S to other mounts.
Best Camera Monitors – On-camera monitors may seem like a luxury to anyone new to video, but most videographers see them as a necessity on a shoot. They offer so many additional features when compared to the tiny displays on the back of most cine cameras, mirrorless cameras or DSLRs. They’re also ideal for both vloggers and photographers, and some have built-in drives to allow them to act as external video recorders too.