Best External Ssd for Xbox One – With Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S featuring custom NVMe SSDs, the next generation heavily leans on fast storage to maximize performance. That high demand means that while USB 3.2 drives work with the console, they’re limited compared to baked-in storage. Microsoft has partnered with Seagate on its own proprietary expansion solution, mimicking the internal SSD used but compacted into a portable form factor. That positions the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox as the only SSD expansion capable of playing Xbox Series-optimized titles.
But the Microsoft-approved expansion card isn’t cheap, with other USB SSDs also suited for backward compatibility and storage. The Samsung T7 Portable SSD provides a high-speed alternative, ideal for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and original Xbox titles via backward compatibility.
And provided you’re open to navigating the limitations, it’s also a quick drive to shuttle games back and forth from your internal SSD.back to menu ↑
- Don't delete games from Xbox consoles just to make room for new ones store 100 plus titles with 4TB of portable external hard drive storage
- Experience no lag gaming with a portable hard drive optimized specifically for the Xbox
- Dive into the action with a quick step by step setup and plug and play USB 3.0 connectivity no power cable needed
- Featuring the classic green design of the original Xbox logo, this gaming hard drive is the perfect accessory for any setup and its compact, travel ready form factor means the adventure can go anywhere
- Enjoy long term peace of mind with the included 1 year limited warranty and 1 year rescue service
- Compatible devices: Gaming Console
back to menu ↑
- With speeds up to 140MB/s and available in capacities up to 5TB of extra storage, the WD_Black P10 Game Drive will push your console or PC to new levels of performance. (Based on read speed and internal testing. As used for transfer rate, megabyte per second (MB/s) = one million bytes per second. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software components and configurations.)
- Comes with an 18-inch (457mm) USB Type-A to Micro-B cable with SuperSpeed interface up to 5Gbps. (Cable length may vary.)
- Portable and durable form factor that provides fast access to your gaming library, anywhere you go.
- High-performance HDD to optimize your console or PC gaming experience and drive your game.
- Purpose-built for gamers based on WD_Black quality and reliability so you can play without limits.
- 3-year manufacturer's limited warranty
back to menu ↑
3.LaCie Portable SSD
- Up to 540MB/s high Performance external SSD for fast file transfers and editing
- 1TB capacity to store hours of 4K videos and thousands of High resolution photos
- Usb-c connector for universal compatibility with USB 3. 0, Thunderbolt 3, Mac and PC
- Lightweight, shock resistant design for traveling light and safely
- 3-Year Includes 3-year Rescue Data Recovery services
back to menu ↑
4.ADATA SD600Q 480GB
- FAST DATA TRANSFERS: Delivering read/write of up to 440MB per second, you’ll be able to transfer a 5GB Full HD movie in a mere 26 seconds!
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing just 60g, fits in the palm of your hand, it’ll easily slip in and out of your bag or pocket, whenever you need it, wherever you may be
- TOUGH RUGGED DESIGN: The SD600Q can survive falls from up to 1.22 meters and meets the U.S. Military MIL-STD-810G 516.6 standard. That means shock resistance and more durability than external HDDs
- ENDLESS COMPATIBILITY OPTIONS: Compatible with Windows, Mac OS and Androids and supports hot plugging. You can easily remove the device safely while computer is running
- WARRANTY: Limited 3 year manufacturer warranty
back to menu ↑
- Compact design with stylish, textured finish and color options to fit your lifestyle.
- Automatic backup software to easily back up your content (free download, for Windows PC only).
- Password protection software to help prevent unauthorized access to your data (free download, for Windows PC only).
- USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatible.
- 2-year manufacturer's limited warranty (3).
back to menu ↑
6.Silicon Power 1TB
- Flexible cable-carry design for easy cable storage.
- Military-grade shockproof and IPX4 water-resistant protections.
- Unique surface treatment helps to avoid fingerprints, scratches and damage caused by daily operations.
- Stylish and slim exterior design. USB 3.1 Gen 1 interface, backward compatible with USB 3.0/ USB 2.0.
- Ideal for gaming enthusiasts Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim (PS4 System Software version 4.50 or higher). Work with PCs and Macs, enabling users to share files between different platforms.
back to menu ↑
7.SanDisk 2TB Extreme
- High-speed transfers with up to 550MB/s read speeds let you move Hi-Res photos and videos faster (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on drive capacity, host device, OS and application.)
- Ruggedized, water- and dust-resistant (IP55-rated) (IEC 60529 IP55: Tested to withstand water flow (30 kPa) at 3 Minch; limited dust contact does not interfere with the operation. Must be clean and dry before use.)
- Shock-resistant solid state core for greater durability (Shock-resistant (up to 1500G) and vibration-resistant (5g RMS, 10-2000 HZ), Non-Operating Temperature (from ‐20°C to 70°C), operating temperature (from 0°C to 45°C))
- Compact and pocket-sized
- For PC and Mac users
- Built by SanDisk, a technology leader and pioneer of the modern day SSD, to deliver superior performance
- 3-year limited manufacturer warranty
- Order with your Alexa enabled device. Just ask "Alexa, order SanDisk External SSD."
back to menu ↑
8.SAMSUNG 870 EVO
- THE SSD ALL-STAR: The latest 870 EVO has indisputable performance, reliability and compatibility built upon Samsung's pioneering technology
- EXCELLENCE IN PERFORMANCE: Enjoy professional level SSD performance with 870 EVO, which maximizes the SATA interface limit to 560 530 MB s sequential speeds, accelerates write speeds and maintains long term high performance with a larger variable buffer
- INDUSTRY DEFINING RELIABILITY: Meet the demands of every task from everyday computing to 8K video processing, with up to 2,400 TBW under a 5 year limited warranty
- MORE COMPATIBLE THAN EVER: 870 EVO has been compatibility tested for major host systems and applications, including chipsets, motherboards, NAS, and video recording devices
- UPGRADE WITH EASE: Simply plug 870 EVO into the standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor on your desktop PC or laptop and let the renewed migration software takes care of the rest
- SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Make your drive work smoothly with enhanced Samsung Magician 6 software that helps you easily manage your drive, keep up with the latest updates, monitor the drive's health and status, or even enhance its performance
back to menu ↑
9.Crucial X6 1TB
- HUGE CAPACITY: Up to 4TB, storage capacity - enough for up to 20,000 photos, 100 hours of video, 6,000 songs, or 400GB of documents with room to spare
- FAST: Read speeds up to 540MB/s – that's 3.8x faster than most hard drives
- TINY, LIGHTWEIGHT: Fits between your fingertips and weighs less than your car keys
- BROAD COMPATIBILITY: Works with PC, Mac, Android, iPad Pro8 (PS4, Xbox One, and USB-A computer require USB-A adapter, available separately)
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE: Backed by Micron, one of the largest manufacturers of flash storage in the world
back to menu ↑
- [Fast and Extraordinary] No more waiting, Save more time! Provides up to 550 MB/s read and write speed, enables speedy data transfer with reliable data storage. Great for video/photo editors and any content creators require fast storage and data transfer.
- [Design] Super small portable size with robust metal case. With 3D NAND technology enables high stable data transfer speed and reliable product longevity. Super lightweight and portable but extremely durable, you can easily carry it to anywhere you want.
- [Device Compatibility] 2x USB C Cable included : USB Type-C to USB Type-C + USB Type-C to USB Type-A cables. Perfect for Windows PC Laptop Desktop Mac Computer, Android Smartphone and PS4.
- [Reliability] 2.9” * 1.9” Shock Resistance, Vibration Resistance metal case. Non-Operating Temperature ‐20°C to 70°C, Operating Temperature 0°C to 70°C.
- [Support] Gigastone 3-year (36 months) limited warranty. 30 days money back guaranteed. 24/7 online support.System Manager > Hardisk Manage > Choose the disk without specified drive name pre-named by manufacturer and format the Gigastone Portable SSD for your application. If you choose to use it as an external drive, please choose file system: ExFAT. If wish to use Gigastone Portable SSD as an internal drive to run OS (operating system), please choose file system: NTFS.
back to menu ↑
Best External Ssd for Xbox One – BUYER’S GUIDE
The good news is that you don’t need a specialized external hard drive for a PS4 or Xbox One; just about anything will work. As such, what you should look for in the best external hard drives for PS4 and Xbox One is exactly the same as what you should look for in a hard drive, in general. You want the appropriate amount of storage space, a fast read speed, a small profile and a reliable brand name, just in case something goes wrong.
As such, our top pick is the Western Digital Elements 4 TB Portable External Drive. If you’re familiar with WD, you’ll know that the company has been in the storage game for a while, and generally makes durable, high-quality products that work exactly as they’re supposed to. With 4 TB storage, you’ll be able to store dozens of games, and at less than five inches across, it won’t take up too much space in your entertainment center.
If you want something a little more stylish, and you have an Xbox One, consider the Seagate Game Drive for Xbox. This hard drive distinguishes itself from a lot of the competition by coming in a white chassis with an Xbox logo, just like an Xbox One console. Combined with its fast read speed, you could place the Seagate Game Drive for Xbox right next to your console, and it’d look good as a permanent fixture in your living room.
One quick note: Now that the PS5 and Xbox Series X are out, these external drives might not make the best accessories for them. While you can still hook external drives up to the new consoles, next-gen games require specialized SSDs, which are generally much more expensive. If you have a lot of PS4 or Xbox One games to take with you, these hard drives could still come in handy; otherwise, save your money for next-gen gear.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
What PS4 or Xbox One hard drive size do I need?
Most consoles ship with either 500GB or 1TB drives, so we’d recommend going with a drive that’s at least this size to make it a meaningful upgrade.
Particularly at the end of a console generation, with headline titles like The Last of Us Part Two and The Ghost of Tsushima coming out and Warzone patch sizes seemingly ballooning out of control, larger hard drives will allow you to spend more time gaming and less time anxiously deciding which game you’ll have to uninstall next.
2TB and 4TB sizes are a great middle-ground, offering a ton of space at a reasonable price, while even larger drives – up to 8TB – do tend to cost more per gigabyte but mean that you might never need to uninstall a game you’re interested in playing.
If you’re going for faster SSD storage, then 500GB is again a good place to start. External SSDs are much more expensive than external hard drives, so we don’t recommend anything beyond a 1TB or 2TB drive as prices quickly become prohibitive.
How to add an external hard drive to PS4 or Xbox One?
Thankfully, it’s super easy to add external storage to your games console. Simply plug the external drive into any of your PS4 or Xbox One’s USB ports, using the cable that came in the box. If there’s an external power cable included with your drive (something you typically only see with physically larger drives), plug that into a nearby power outlet. The PS4 or Xbox One will automatically recognise the drive and offer to format it for you. Accept this, wait a few seconds and you’ll be told that the drive is ready. From here, you can begin installing games to the drive, or moving from your internal storage.back to menu ↑
Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S raise the bar for console performance, with its new custom NVMe solid-state drive (SSD) storage a crucial component in those gains. You can also expand either console’s storage capacity with external hard drives, or an SSD delivering the pinnacle in speed. However, both consoles vastly differ from the Xbox One family, with firm limitations applied to most drives. That makes the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox the best SSD for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, mirroring each console’s own internal SSD.