Best Ssd for Photographers – External solid state drives come in a variety of sizes and speeds and price typically goes up with higher capacity drives with faster read/write speeds. A 1TB or 2TB drive will probably be plenty of space for most photographers and will encourage you to get those files off of the SSD and onto a more archival format for long-term storage.
Ultimately, having an SSD drive at your disposal as a photographer will help speed up your workflow and give you peace of mind that the images and videos stored on your SD cards are safely duplicated in an additional location.
Pros & Cons
- Superfast read write speeds: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB s (up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs); Ideal for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games and more
- Compact and portable design: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the palm of your hand and easily slides in your pocket or purse to take work and entertainment on the go
- Secure encryption: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption keeps your personal and private data more secure
- Seamless connectivity: Includes USB type C to C and USB type C to A cables to connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices
Pros & Cons
- EXCLUSIVE BUNDLE: This unique bundle is just what you need to keep your data safe and secure at all times. Its durability, and military-grade shock resistance makes it perfect no matter where you are.
- AMPLE STORAGE: With the high capacity of 2TB, you can store and back up all of your files. This on-the-go storage solution is perfect for traveling with a peace of mind!
- HARD DRIVE FEATURES: 2TB Storage Capacity - USB 3.0 Interface - Bus Powered - 256-Bit AES Encryption - Three-Stage Shock Protection System - OneTouch Auto-backup Button - LED power/Data Transfer Activity Indicator.
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Transcend 2TB StoreJet 25M3 External Hard Drive (Iron Grey) + Case Logic Portable Hard Drive Case (Black).
Pros & Cons
- Shock, drops up to 4 feet, dust and water resistant for all-terrain use
- For Mac compatibility this Hard Drive requires reformatting. Refer to Application Guide for more details
- Password protection built in
- Uses USB 3.0 which is up to 4 times faster than USB 2.0 (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Includes 1-month complimentary membership to Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps Plan. Must redeem by January 31, 2020
Pros & Cons
- Slim Design
- Software for device management and backup with password protection. (Download and installation required. Terms and conditions apply. User account registration may be required.)
- 256-bit AES hardware encryption
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port (5Gbps); USB 2.0 compatible
- 3-year limited warranty
Pros & Cons
- 【Hard Drive dock】: supports standard desktop 2. 5 and 3. 5 inch SATA hard drives or SSD.
- 【Super speed】: date transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. 10 times faster than USB2. 0, backward compatible with USB2. 0 and 1. 1
- 【The most capacity】: support up to 2 x 10 TB.
- 【Clone function】: support offline Clone, plug and play, no drives needed.
- 【Universal compatibility】: Compatible with Windows XP/ 7/8/10, Linux, Mac OS 9. 1/10. 8. 4 and above.
- 【What you get 】: 1x hard drive docking station, 1x 12V/3a power supply, 1x USB 3. 0 cable, 1x User Manual
6.iStorage diskAshur PRO2
Pros & Cons
- Easy to use: Perfect solution to protect your digital assets. Simply enter a 7-15 digit PIN to authenticate and use as a normal portable HDD. When the drive is disconnected, all data is encrypted using AES-XTS 256-bit hardware encryption (no software required).
- Government certified to the highest standards – The diskAshur PRO2 is the world’s first and only PIN authenticated, hardware encrypted portable HDD to be certified to FIPS 140-2 Level 2/3, NCSC CPA, NLNCSA BSPA and NATO Restricted. The diskAshur PRO2 helps you ensure compliance with data regulations such as GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA.
- The diskAshur PRO2 is the perfect solution for storing your personal or company data. Carry the diskAshur PRO2 with you wherever you go. Portable, rugged, dust & water resistant (IP56 certified) Without the PIN, there’s no way IN! All data transferred to the drive is encrypted in real time and is protected from unauthorised access even if the device is lost or stolen! The diskAshur PRO2 incorporates a Common Criteria EAL 5+ (Hardware Certified) secure microprocessor.
- The diskAshur PRO2 will work on any device with a USB port, no software is required. Compatible with: MS Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Android, Thin Clients, Zero Clients, Embedded Systems, Citrix and VMware.
- Transfer your files in seconds Lightning fast backwards compatible USB 3.2 data transfer speeds. Up to 160MB/s Read speeds Up to 143MB/s Write speeds.
Pros & Cons
- Read/write speed up to 440MB/s
- IP68 dust/water proof
- Military-grade shockproof
- Supports Windows, Mac OS, Android
- 3D NAND Ruggedized Portable SSD
Pros & Cons
- A durable design with IP67 water/dust resistance, 3M drop tested, and 1000lb crush resistance
- Super fast transfer rates up to 560MB/s
- Latest generation USB C connectivity (USB 3.1 Gen 2)
- Shock and vibration resistant solid state drive
- With capacities up to 2TB in a small, light package (As used for storage capacity, 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1 billion bytes and 1 terabyte (TB) = 1 trillion bytes; Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.)
- Order with your Alexa enabled device; Just ask "Alexa, order G Technology External SSD."
9.RAVPower SSD Pro
Pros & Cons
- Unmatched Performance: Cutting-edge reading/writing speeds up to 540MB/s, 5x faster than a conventional HDD, plays high-end gaming or 4K videos in seconds, no more waiting around
- Crafted to Perfection: As the most popular SSD for young adults, RAVPower SSD is crafted with zinc-aluminum alloy casing with piano-baked finish that’s delicate & comfortable touch and elegant simplistic design, provides higher resistance to shock and optimal heat dissipation
- Worry-Free Data Security: ATA lock technology and AES 256 bit hardware encryption s nobody but you, with the correct password, can read or write data to the SSD, keeps all your personal and private data away from unauthorized users
- Fully Compatible: Comes with USB C to C and USB C to A cables to seamlessly work with Windows PC (Windows 7 or higher), MAC (MAC OS 10. 12 or higher), Android smartphones or tablets with USB C port, iPad Pro, Xbox and PS4
- Professional Memory Hardware: Supported by the built-in NAND Flash & USB 3. 1 Gen 2 interface, together with Silicon Motion SM2258XT controller & JMS580 chipset for 10Gbps rate
10.VAVA SSD Pro
Pros & Cons
- Unmatched Performance: Cutting-edge read/write speeds up to 540MB/s, 5x faster than a conventional HDD, handles high-end gaming and 4K videos in seconds, no more waiting
- Built to Perfection: VAVA SSD Pro is crafted with zinc-aluminum alloy casing with piano-baked finish that’s elegant, delicate and comfortable to touch, providing higher shock -resistance and optimal heat dissipation
- Worry-Free Data Security: ATA lock technology and AES 256 bit hardware encryption s nobody but you with the correct password can read or write data to the SSD Pro, keeps all your personal and private data away from unauthorized users
- Fully Compatible: Comes with USB C to C and USB C to A cables to work seamlessly with Windows PC (Windows 7 or higher), MAC (MAC OS 10. 12 or higher), Android smartphones or tablets with USB C port, iPad Pro, Xbox and PS4
- Backed by a Trusted Supplier: The core components of this industry-leading external SSD Pro are supplied by one of the top 3 suppliers in the world, ensures unparalleled performance and incredible reliability from the Solid State Drive
Best Ssd for Photographers – BUYER’S GUIDE
Because an external solid state drive forgoes the physical spinning platters of traditional hard disc drives, it also avoids the space needed for a spindle, an arm with a magnetic read/write head, etc. This means SSDs are typically smaller and faster than an HDD. All that static silicon is a great option when on location and/or working on time-sensitive assignments, as beyond being durable they are compact and typically have faster read and write speeds. Although a large-capacity HDD array and/or the cloud are better choices for archival storage, having a speedy SSD drive at your disposal is ideal for accessing and storing your most recent projects while on the go.
In recent years the speed and capacity rates of SSD drives on the market have exploded. Selecting the right SSD drive for you has a lot to do with the files on it, where you will use it, what transfer speeds you require, and how much space you need. If you are working with a lot of 4K video files, a large capacity 4TB drive might be the best option for you. If you are diligent about getting your files off of the SSD and into an archival storage system and are primarily shooting photographs, smaller capacity computer storage options will probably suffice. These are just some of the things that you should consider when selecting the best SSD external hard drive for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
< id="h-is-an-external-ssd-worth-it">Is an external SSD worth it?
If you are a photographer or videographer, an external SSD drive is an invaluable tool and absolutely worth it. Fast external SSD drives are extremely helpful when transferring large amounts of files for clients or personal use. They are more reliable than SD cards and a better option while on-the-go than a traditional platter-based external hard drive.
< id="h-is-ssd-better-than-hdd">Is SSD better than HDD?
SSD and HDD are both important tools for photographers and videographers and should be used for different purposes. In an external SSD drive there are no moving parts—this makes an SSD drive faster and more reliable in the short term than an HDD. Also, an external SSD drive is an excellent tool for transferring photo or video files while you are out on an assignment or on an adventure. An HDD drive, on the other hand, is a better archival file storage system because of its gigabytes-per-dollar ratio. Think of your SSD drive as the ideal choice for throwing in your camera bag before you leave the house for a shoot, while your HDD sits safely at home on your desk storing all the photos and videos that you’ve taken in the months and years before.
< id="h-does-an-ssd-get-slower-over-time">Does an SSD get slower over time?
Like all camera tech, you will notice that your SSD drive will get slower over time. SSD’s typically have a limited number of read/writes and will slow down as you put more files on them. This is why it’s great to use them as storage on-the-go, transfer those files to an archival drive, and then wipe them before your next job. Drives with larger capacities will take longer to slow down, which is one reason that a 2TB drive may be a better choice than a 500MB drive.
If you’ve been capturing memories with your camera for a while, you know there are two types of drives: one that has already failed and one that is about to fail. Made up of flash memory chips soldered on a circuit board, an external solid state drive (SSD) lacks the moving parts found in traditional external hard disc drives (HDDs) which makes the SSD less susceptible to damage from shock, plus gives it the ability to run quieter and faster. Ultimately, the best SSD external hard drive tends to be a lot more reliable when you are traveling around than using a drive with a spinning disc.