Best Ssd for Xbox One X – High demand means that while USB 3.2 drives work with the console, they’re limited compared to baked-in storage. Microsoft has partnered with Seagate on its own proprietary expansion solution, mimicking the internal SSD used but compacted into a portable form factor. That positions the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox as the only SSD expansion capable of playing Xbox Series-optimized titles.
The Samsung T7 Portable SSD provides a high-speed alternative, ideal for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and original Xbox titles via backward compatibility. And provided you’re open to navigating the limitations, it’s also a quick drive to shuttle games back and forth from your internal SSD.
1.ADATA SD600Q 240GB
Pros & Cons
- FAST DATA TRANSFERS: Delivering read/write of up to 440MB per second, you’ll be able to transfer a 5GB Full HD movie in a mere 26 seconds!
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing just 60g, fits in the palm of your hand, it’ll easily slip in and out of your bag or pocket, whenever you need it, wherever you may be
- TOUGH RUGGED DESIGN: The SD600Q can survive falls from up to 1.22 meters and meets the U.S. Military MIL-STD-810G 516.6 standard. That means shock resistance and more durability than external HDDs
- ENDLESS COMPATIBILITY OPTIONS: Compatible with Windows, Mac OS and Androids and supports hot plugging. You can easily remove the device safely while computer is running
- WARRANTY: Limited 3 year manufacturer warranty
Pros & Cons
- SEAMLESS GAMEPLAY: Designed in partnership with Xbox to seamlessly play Xbox Series X|S games from the internal SSD or the expansion card without sacrificing graphics, latency, load times, or framerates
- HIGH CAPACITY: 1TB of storage increases the overall capacity of the Xbox Series X|S—collect thousands of games across four generations of Xbox without sacrificing performance
- EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX: The only available expansion card that replicates the Xbox Velocity Architecture —providing faster load times, richer environments, and more immersive gameplay
- QUICK RESUME: Switch between multiple titles in seconds—directly from the internal SSD or the expansion card
Pros & Cons
- Up to 5TB that can hold up to 125 games, so that you can save old favorites and still have room for new titles. (As used for storage capacity, one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment. Number of games based on a 36GB average per game. The number of games will vary based on file size, capacity, formatting, other programs, and factors.)
- 1-Month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership included with purchase (1-Month trial offer of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for New Xbox Game Pass members only. Limit: 1 per person/account. Available for a limited time. See product packaging for full details.)
- Works with Xbox Series X/S (store and play Xbox One games, archive Xbox Series X and Xbox series S games.)
- Portable form factor that provides fast access to your gaming library, anywhere you go.
- High-performance HDD in speeds up to 130MB/s to optimize your console or PC gaming experience. (Based on read speed and internal testing. As used for transfer rate, megabyte per second (MB/s) = one million bytes per second. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software components and configurations.)
Pros & Cons
- Fingerprint Security: Ssd With Fingerprint And Password Security
- Blazing Fast Storage: Reads Up To 1,050 Mb/S / Writes Up To 1 000 Mb/S. Transfers Files Nearly 9.5X Faster Than Hard Drives
- Led Status Indicator: The T7 Touch Features An Led Square That Illuminates To Keep You Informed Of What Your Ssd Is Doing At A Glance
- Built Strong: Shock-Resistant And Withstands Drops From 6Ft
Pros & Cons
- Interface: USB-C (USB 3.1)
- Aluminum housing provides excellent protection and heat dissipation
- USB Powered Hard Drive, no wall adapter needed
- Plug and play compatible with the Xbox One / X / S
- Compatible devices: Plug and play compatible with the Xbox One / Xbox One S / Xbox One X
6.JOIOT Portable SSD
Pros & Cons
- 【High Quality】The aluminum alloy inclusion disc has the functions of waterproof, dustproof and shockproof, which protect the Portable Solid State Drive core and dissipate heat, and sleek design is easy to grip. Your digital data would be protected well whether in the office or outdoors.
- 【Fast Transfer Speed】: Portable external SSD offers 200MB/s write speed and 400MB/s read speed. Save your time when moving and copying 4K videos and large files. Ideal for game lover, graphic designer, photographer, videographer, etc.
- 【Wide Compatibility】: External SSD USB 3.1 (5 Gbps, Type-C), come with USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to USB-A cables. Compatible with Latop, desktop, tablet, MacBook, PS4, Xbox one and more. System Compatibility: Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
- 【Portable】: External SSD is about 41g(1.45oz) , small size: 8.45*4.12*0.7cm. Ultra slim and lightweight make it easy to grab in your pocket or backpack, ideal for travel, working and business. SSD is made of aluminum alloy which make it durable.
- 【You can get】: 1 x 120GB portable SSD black, 1* USB C to USB C cable, 1*USB C to USB A 3.0 cable. Portable and fast SSD, a good helper to store and transfer large data.
7.SK hynix Gold
Pros & Cons
- Premium SSD powered by the global top 2 memory manufacturer, a tech leader since 1983
- Best-in-class performance - Sequential read speeds up to 560MB/s and sequential write speeds up to 525MB/s with proprietary SK hynix HYPERWRITE cache technology
- Leading edge solution powered by in-house 3D NAND, controller and DRAM
- 5-year warranty, superior reliability and stability – Tested and validated through 1,000 hours of HTOL (Stress Test) with MTBF reaching 1.5 million hours, up to 600 TBW (TeraBytes Written)
- Easy installation across multiple devices, pairing with our custom SK hynix edition Macrium cloning software
8.Crucial X6 500GB
Pros & Cons
- HUGE CAPACITY: Up to 4TB, storage capacity - enough for up to 20,000 photos, 100 hours of video, 6,000 songs, or 400GB of documents with room to spare
- FAST: Read speeds up to 540MB/s – that's 3.8x faster than most hard drives
- TINY, LIGHTWEIGHT: Fits between your fingertips and weighs less than your car keys
- BROAD COMPATIBILITY: Works with PC, Mac, Android, iPad Pro8 (PS4, Xbox One, and USB-A computer require USB-A adapter, available separately)
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE: Backed by Micron, one of the largest manufacturers of flash storage in the world
Pros & Cons
- Build-in 2TB Capacity USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
- Pre-formatted on Game Console, Plug & Play
- Easy Installation, Plug-n-Play, Ultra Slim & Lightweight
- Works for XBOX One X, S, Orginal 1st Generation Game Console
- 2 Years Warranty
10.External SSD 256GB
Pros & Cons
- 【Fast and Extraordinary】Cutting-edge read speeds up to 500MB/s and write speed up to 308MB/s. USB Type-C and USB 3.1 Gen 1 ready, EAGET portable SSD offers magnificent performance. Ideal for transferring large-sized data - 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games etc.
- 【Device Compatibility 】1 x 530mm/20.5 inch Type-C to USB 3.0 A Data Cable, The external SSD is compatible with Windows 7/8/10/ Vista /Windows XP/Windows 2000/Windows ME/NT/Windows 98second edition/Linux/ Mac OS etc.
- 【Note】The default FAT32 disk system used by the system is 4GB for a single file. If you need to store a single file exceeding 4GB such as high-definition video, we recommend that you reformat the external solid state drive and set it to the exFAT file system.
- 【Metal Case】Rugged aluminum alloy case, makes portable SSD resistant to shock and vibration to protect the Portable Solid State Drive core and dissipate heat. Your digital data would be protected well whether in the office or outdoors.
- 【Package and Warranty】1* External SSD 256GB, 1 * Type-C to USB A Data Cable, and we provide 12 month warranty and lifetime technical support, please feel free to contact us if there is any quality problem.
Best Ssd for Xbox One X – BUYER’S GUIDE
Available game storage on consoles is becoming more of an issue as larger and larger games get released. You can continuously manage your inventory by uninstalling games, but you can also pay for some extra storage. If you have the money to spend, an SSD is a great idea. They cost more than regular external hard drives, but you can drastically reduce loading times and take them with you on the go. These are also among the best SSDs for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, with full backward compatibility for storage accessories.
The Samsung T7 500GB drive sits among our top picks for new SSD users, securing great gaming results at a premium. It touts leading speeds in a slimline metallic casing, offering a premium package below $100. You can’t go wrong here if you’re looking for a speed upgrade, although the 500GB capacity could prove restrictive after installing a handful of games.
However, for those demanding the most from Xbox One, an upgrade to the Samsung T5 1TB Portable SSD shouldn’t be ruled out. Doubling the storage matches the baseline of any Xbox One X console, with added room for those extra drive-hungry titles. You’re also getting the speed increase, improving load times on Xbox One devices, and staying closer to the expected performance from Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which drives are compatible with PS4 or Xbox One?
All USB drives are compatible with the PS4 and Xbox One as long as they support the USB 3.0 standard. All of our recommendations meet this requirement, so choose any of the drives on this page and you’ll be sitting pretty.
Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S raise the bar for console performance, with its new custom NVMe solid-state drive (SSD) storage a crucial component in those gains. You can also expand either console’s storage capacity with external hard drives, or an SSD delivering the pinnacle in speed. However, both consoles vastly differ from the Xbox One family, with firm limitations applied to most drives. That makes the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox the best SSD for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, mirroring each console’s own internal SSD.