Best Dyson Vacuum for Pets – The Dyson V6 is a good choice for spot cleaning pet hair and other messes as long as it doesn’t have to be used for more than a few minutes. This Dyson V10 pet hair vacuum is a good choice if you want to deep clean specific spots and need more time than the V6 provides.
The Dyson Cinetic Big Ball animal canister is the right choice if you need capacity. The Dyson Cinetic big ball animal upright vacuum has above average performance across the board, as long as you don’t need it to tackle a lot of pet hair.
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 vacuum is the ideal choice for cleaning any and all flooring surfaces at a reasonable price.
- Dyson's most intelligent, powerful cordless vacuum. Twice the suction of any cordless vacuum.
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Engineered for whole-home, deep cleaning. Suction power, run time and tools designed to deep clean your whole home.
- Intelligently optimizes suction and run time across all floor types. The right balance of power and run time when you need it.
- Up to 60 minutes of run time. Engineered for larger homes with pets. Actual run time will vary based on power mode, floor type and/or attachments used.
- High torque cleaner head. Automatically adapts suction and power to deep clean different floor types without changing cleaner heads.
- Advanced whole-machine filtration. Advanced whole-machine filtration traps 99.99% of particles, dust and allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 5 Dyson engineered tools for versatile whole-home and car cleaning. Including the mini-motorized tool for removing pet hair from upholstery and tight spaces.
- Converts to a handheld for cleaning cars, stairs and upholstery
- Included: Torque drive head, mini-motorized tool, crevice tool, stubborn dirt brush, soft dusting brush, combination tool, wand storage clip, docking station, & charger
Lately, I’ve been vacuuming the beads up! The Dyson V11 makes this possible. It can suck up beads that are bigger than a half-inch across. As long as you can stand the sound of beads rattling frantically in the vacuum’s bin, you’re golden.
Dyson’s cordless hybrid vacs are an exemplar of the form. For the past few weeks, I’ve had the pleasure of testing a V11 Torque Drive, one of two V11 models. The V11 Animal is the other. The latest in Dyson’s series, it’s incredibly powerful, smart, convenient, and light enough for me to lift with one hand as I stand on a step stool and vacuum spiderwebs from my bedroom ceiling corners (using the crevice attachment).
- Self-adjusting cleaner head seals in suction
- Cleans up high and under furniture. Removes pet hair without tangling
- Six extra tools and a tool storage bag. Fiber soft dusting brush and radial root cyclone technology
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly. Cord length: 35 feet
- 5 year . Free parts, labor and shipping
The Dyson Total Clean uses Radial Root Cyclone™ technology for incredible suction on hard floors as well as a newly designed brush bar for deeper carpet penetration for superior dirt removal. The shorter, stiffer brushes get deep into carpet fibers to remove even ground in dirt. The self-adjusting head transitions from hardwood to carpet seamlessly so nothing gets left behind.
The Dyson Ball Total Clean Vacuum also has incredible maneuverability. It’s responsive to the slightest flick of the wrist and changes direction on a dime. It also has an instant-release high-reach wand to easy clean ceilings, stairs, furniture and curtains. A combination tool and stair tool are also included.
- The Dyson Ball Compact Animal Upright is identical to the Dyson DC50 Compact Upright. It has a new name, but no change has been made to the item.
- Most advanced cleaner head technology from Dyson, engineered for increased dirt pick-up across all floors
- 2 Tier Radial cyclones capture more microscopic particle, no bag, no loss of suction Ultra-lightweight and durable, weighs just 11.6 lbs. Cord Length = 25 ft.
- 5 year warranty, parts and labor 5 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller Most advanced cleaner head technology from Dyson, engineered for increased dirt pick-up across all floors 2 Tier Radial cyclones capture more microscopic particle, no bag, no loss of suction Latest Ball technology, turns on the spot and steers more easily into difficult spaces Ultra-lightweight and durable, weighs just 11.6 lbs. Cord Length = 25 ft.
- 5 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller
- Most advanced cleaner head technology from Dyson, engineered for increased dirt pick-up across all floors
- 2 Tier Radial cyclones capture more microscopic particle, no bag, no loss of suction
- Latest Ball technology, turns on the spot and steers more easily into difficult spaces
- Ultra-lightweight and durable, weighs just 11.6 lbs. Cord Length = 25 ft.
The Dyson DC50 Animal is a bagless upright vacuum cleaner equipped with two washable lifetime filters. It comes with a Tangle-Free Turbine Tool for pet hair removal and combination tools.
The Dyson DC50 Animal is excellent at picking up dust across all floorings but only performs fairly well when tackling pet hair. It manoeuvres well thanks to the ball technology design but the short hose is disappointing.
- Capacity (volume) - .42 gallon. The vacuum that doesn't lose suction - 36 Dyson Cinetic tips separate the microscopic dust that clogs other vacuums
- No dirty filters to wash or replace - dust separation in vacuums containing Dyson Cinetic science is so efficient that, unlike with other vacuums, there's no need to wash or replace a filter. And with no bags to buy, there are no Hidden costs
- Self-rights when toppled - other vacuums fall down and stay down. Only Dyson big Ball canister vacuums pick themselves up
- HYGIENIC dirt ejector - Drives Out trapped dust and debris as you empty. No need to touch the dirt. Check machine for blockages, if the machine does not perform well
- Carbon fiber turbine head - carbon fiber filaments pick up Fine dust. Stiff nylon bristles remove ground-in dirt. The articulating handle and wand rotates in three directions allowing 360 degree articulation for greater control. And with a total reach of 35 feet you can clean here, there and everywhere
The Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Allergy vacuum ditches the filter and never loses suction because of it. It’s extremely good with fine particles and bested the competition at deep cleaning.
The Bad Despite the innovation, it still costs too much as its performance gains over much cheaper competition are minimal. It still suffers from tedious usability.
Dyson reinvents the wheel with the Cinetic series, and though the filterless approach works, it doesn’t add enough practical convenience to justify the price jump over similarly capable competition.
- LIFT-AWAY FUNCTIONALITY: Detachable pod for cleaning under furniture or detach the nozzle to clean above the floor, on upholstery, furniture, stairs, and more.
- ANTI-ALLERGEN COMPLETE SEAL TECHNOLOGY: Works with a HEPA filter to trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner.
- ADVANCED SWIVEL STEERING: Easily maneuver your vacuum to get in and out of tight spaces, in corners, around furniture, and more.
- LED HEADLIGHTS: Powerful lights on the nozzle reveal hidden debris and pet hair around your home.
- WIDE UPHOLSTERY TOOL: The wide cleaning path helps remove pet hair, dust, and large debris from mattresses, couches, curtains, lampshades, and other delicate upholstered surfaces.
- DUSTING BRUSH: Dust and clean delicate surfaces, like fans, blinds, lampshades, and keyboards.
- CREVICE TOOL: Great for cleaning tight spaces, between couch cushions, and in hard-to-reach areas.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum, Wide Upholstery Tool, Dusting Brush & Crevice Tool.
The Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away is a good overall vacuum. It can be used as a handheld vacuum too, but it’s not very portable as it’s heavy to carry around. It’s an excellent choice to clean large debris such as cereal on any surface and it’s good with small debris, but it struggles with finer objects on high-pile carpet.
Hair gets stuck on the brushroll when it’s used on bare floors but the vacuum cleans all hair on both low-pile and high-pile carpet. The TruePet variant we tested comes with three tools but there are other variants with different tools. It’s not hard to maintain but there are quite a few parts that you need to clean. Luckily, there are virtually no recurring costs.
Best Dyson Vacuum for Pets – BUYER’S GUIDE
Dyson’s product line is relatively wide ranging, offering upright, canister, handheld, and cordless stick options. Each type is naturally well-suited to a particular cleaning job. For example, handheld and stick vacuums are great for quick messes, while upright vacuums are powerful enough to clean carpets. Depending on the kind of cleaning you hope to accomplish with your new Dyson, one type might be a better pick for you.
Some Dysons are designed to clean specific areas around the house, like hardwood floors, tight spaces, or carpets. Others are equipped with features made to handle specific messes, like pet hair or smaller dry spills. You can expect powerful suction and reliable performance from Dysons across the board, but paying attention to these specialized capabilities and intended uses will help you determine which model is best for your cleaning needs.
In the same way that different varieties of Dysons have different cleaning strengths, they also have different user experiences. A powerhouse upright vacuum might not be as nimble or maneuverable as a cordless stick vacuum, which, in turn, might not be as lightweight as a handheld model. If you plan on using your vacuum for extended periods at a time or across multiple floors of your home, you might be better off with one that’s easy to lift and move from room to room. If you vacuum is likely to stay on the same floor, you probably don’t have to look as closely at its weight while shopping.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I empty a Dyson vacuum?
As soon as your model’s dust cup reaches its maximum capacity, usually denoted by a line on the cup, it’s time to empty it. Waiting and operating your vacuum with a full dust cup will diminish its overall efficiency and cleaning power. If you have an upright or canister model, lift the cup away from the body of the vacuum by its handle. Hold it over the trash and press the catch or button on top of the cup to empty it. If your model is a stick vacuum, hold it over the trash by the handle and pull the release lever to empty the built-in cup.
How do I clean a Dyson vacuum?
After emptying your Dyson’s dust cup, rinse it out with water. Dyson’s reusable filters should be cleaned the same way, with nothing more than cold water. The rest of the interior can be cleaned with a dry dust rag and can of compressed air, and don’t forget to remove any hair from the brush bar (manually or with a pair of scissors). Make sure all parts are dry before reassembling your Dyson.
How long do Dyson vacuums last?
All Dyson machines come with a warranty, but its length will depend on which machine you choose. Cordless Dysons are covered for two years, while corded models are covered for five. Under this warranty, Dyson will repair your vacuum and replace parts for it as needed, which will help ensure its continued performance for years after you purchase it. Warranty aside, your Dyson’s lifespan will depend on how much you use it and what you do to maintain it.
Why Trust The Spruce?
This article was written by Sara Coughlin, a freelance writer and The Spruce’s small appliances expert. From canister models to dustbusters, she’s researched what it takes for a vacuum to stand out in a vast and broad market—and what to look for in up-and-coming models.
In the GH Cleaning Lab, we test all kinds of vacuums to find the best ones, including handheld vacuums, stick vacuums, canister vacuums, HEPA vacuums, and much more. We put our vacuums through rigorous testing that follows ASTM industry standard test methods: We set out a standardized gamut of messes on a range of flooring from hardwood to deep pile carpet to vinyl.