Best Hard Floor Vacuum for Pet Hair – You love everything about your pet, but one thing that isn’t so great: Finding his fur all over your house. Removing pet hair is one of the toughest challenges vacuum cleaners face. This is especially true when static electricity makes dog hair and cat hair cling so tightly to fabrics, like carpeting and upholstery, that no amount of brushing or suction power seem to pick it up.
In the Good Housekeeping Institute Cleaning Lab, we test all kinds of vacuums to find the best ones, including handheld vacuums, stick vacuums, canister vacuums, HEPA vacuums, robot vacuums and much more. We put our vacuums through rigorous testing that follows ASTM industry standard test methods: We set out a standardized gamut of messes on a range of flooring from hardwood to deep pile carpet to vinyl to find the best vacuums that will actually get the job done.
Pros & Cons
- BAGLESS UPRIGHT VACUUM: Remove pet hair and more with this lightweight multifloor, multi-surface designed vacuum for use in your home, den, or kitchen
- PET HANDIMATE: Air driven turbine spins roller brush to high RPM easily removing stubborn pet hair and other stains off furniture, stairs, car and van seats
- WASHABLE HEPA FILTER SYSTEM: Enhanced HEPA filter system traps 99.97% of dirty
- CLEANING POWER: 2-motors power Cyclonic technology which uses centrifugal force to create powerful suction pulling pet hair and dirty from carpet, cracks and upholstery
- EASY EMPTY CANISTER: Lift away bin is quickly detachable and easy to empty and clean
Pet hair is an annoyance for most pet owners, but if you or someone in your family happens to be allergic to pet hair, it can also be a serious health issue. This upright Kenmore has all the extras to keep pet hair where it belongs — inside the vacuum.
Certified by The Asthma and Allergy Foundation (AAFA), this Kenmore has a HEPA filter and passed AAFA tests for low emissions both while vacuuming and when changing the bag and while we haven’t tested this specific model, Kenmore vacuums do well in our performance tests, we know and trust the rigid standards of the AAFA, and are impressed with their certification criteria.
Pros & Cons
- Easy to maneuver: Easy-Glide Wheels and swivel steering ensure smooth movement of all floor types including DEEP carpets
- Automatic height adjustment: Detects floor type and automatically adjusts for impressive cleaning results
- Multi-cyclone filtration system plus HEPA filter: Creates no loss of suction and traps 99. 97% of dust and allergens, perfect for pet owners
- Extended cleaning reach and flexibility: with a 35ft extra long cord and detachable handle which can be connected to the hose for up to 12 feet of above floor cleaning reach. Comes Equipped with our newest accessory, the Multi-Angle Adaptor, which can be used with any of the on-board tools giving you even more versatility and flexibility to reach hard to clean areas
- Accessories: On-board accessories include Pet Turbo Brush, multi-angle adapter, crevice tool and dusting brush
This affordable champ is an updated version of a previously tested model that had a near-perfect score in our pet hair pick-up tests and it comes with a Pet Turbo Brush, specifically designed to get rid of pet hair from bedding, floors, stairs and upholstery — not an attachment you often find at this price point.
Our consumer testers loved how easily it was to maneuver in tough-to-reach places and with a 35-foot long cord, you’ll be able to reach further than those with shorter cords. The bagless canister with a HEPA filter is also easy to empty, simply hold it over the trash and push the button and the bottom releases to empty the debris.
3.BISSELL Pet Hair
Pros & Cons
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Powerful pet hair pick up in a lightweight and agile design
- Tangle-Free brush roll eliminates annoying hair wrap. Power Rating:7 Amps
- Hands-free empty with Cyclonic Pet Hair Spooling System means you no longer have to touch the yuck.
- Smart Seal Allergen System with optional Febreze filter traps dust and allergens while eliminating odors to freshen your home as you clean
- Reach more messes with specialized pet tools like the LED Crevice Tool, Pet Turbo Eraser Tool and 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush
- Powerful edge-to-edge suction on low to high pile carpets, area rugs and hard surfaces with fingertip suction control and brush roll on/off feature
- Quick release extension wand is always ready, always on
- Swivel steering and LED headlights
- Dirt cup capacity - 0.75 liters. New and improved
This Good Housekeeping Seal star is our Lab go-to because it comes fully stocked with features that’ll suck up every last bit of pet hair. A tangle-free brush roll, a light to find hidden messes and a detachable canister are all included. The canister is bagless so there’s no worrying about changing a full bag.
To minimize the mess when emptying the canister, Bissell has a technology that “spools” the hair inside the canister, so it comes out as one easy-to-remove mass instead of individual strands. We also like that it works great on both carpets and bare floors.
4.Miele Classic C1
Pros & Cons
- Bundles Includes - Miele's AH30 GN Performance Pack - Comes With 16 Genuine Miele GN Airclean FilterBags, 1 Genuine Miele HEPA Air Clean Filter AH-30 and 4 Pre-Motor Protection Filters
- The Miele Cat and Dog has a 20-Year Average Life-Span - Lightweight, Quiet and Powerful Thanks to Miele's Amazing 1200-Watt Vortex Motor
- AirClean Sealed System Construction - Perfect for any Allergy or Asthma Sufferer - Comes with Active Air Clean Filter which helps reduce Odors and Pet Smells while Filtering the Air!
- Comes with Miele SEB-228 Powerhead - Great For deep cleaning and restoring crushed carpet nap on all types of carpeting. Also perfect for picking up large amounts of pet hair from carpet.
- Comes with Miele SBB-3 Parquet Floor Brush - Designed to go flat under baseboards, low under furniture, tight up against kick jams and around chair legs. With a 90 degree twisting rotation there not many places this floor brush can't go! + Comes with STB20 Mini Turbo Brush - Perfect for Cleaning Upholstery and Carpeted Stairs
Miele vacuums always top our Lab tests for performance and this model is designed for cleaning up after cats and dogs. It’s especially great if you’re worried about pesky smells since the powerful Good Housekeeping Seal star features an Active AirClean Filter to help neutralize any lingering pet odors.
You can choose from 6 suction power settings specific to the surface and the Electro Plus Floorhead has five-level height adjustments making it ideal for medium to high pile carpet. It also comes with a super-useful Flexible Handheld Mini Turbo Brush attachment for cleaning upholstery, stairs and other tight spaces.
5.Dyson Cyclone V10
Pros & Cons
- Up to 60 minutes run time when using a non-motorized tool. Cyclone technology: 14 concentric cyclones. Filtration: advanced whole machine filtration. Cleaning path width - 9.84 inches
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Lightweight and versatile, to clean right through the home. Instant-release trigger means battery power is only used while it’s cleaning. Requires charging for 3.5 hours minimum before first use
- Up to 40 minutes of fade-free power with the soft Roller cleaner head (in suction mode I). engineered to pick up both large debris and Fine dust
- Torque drive cleaner head – Up to 20 minutes of fade-free power (in suction mode II). drives stiff nylon bristles into carpets to capture deep-down dirt
- Powered by the Dyson digital motor V10 and engineered to pick up ground-in dirt and Fine dust from hard floors and carpets
- Quickly transforms to a handheld vacuum, to clean all around your home and car
- Included components: Vacuum, charger, wall mount, combination tool
Dyson’s super-lightweight model received perfect scores in our pet hair pick-up tests. It comes with a mini motorized tool to help remove pet hair and dirt from carpet and upholstery. And since it’s cordless, you’ll never have to worry about you (or your pets!) tripping over a power cord!
The cordless stick vacuum was great at picking up pet hair on carpets and floors and it converts into a hand vac allowing you to easily tackle furniture, too.
Pros & Cons
- Super-Slim RoboVac: The 2.85" slim RoboVac boasts an intense suction power (up to 2000 Pa) while maintaining quiet operation.
- Wi-Fi Convenience: The EufyHome app, and Alexa and the Google Assistant voice control-services let you accomplish your vacuuming needs with zero effort from you.
- BoostIQ Technology: RoboVac automatically increases suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed for deep cleaning.
- A Quiet Clean: Vacuums for up to 100 minutes** of constant, powerful suction at a volume no louder than an operating microwave.
- What You Get: RoboVac 15C MAX, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of unibody filter, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, welcome guide, and our worry-free 12-month.
Most robot vacuums are not ideal for picking up pet hair, but this robot vacuum easily removed pet hair from carpet and with its slim profile just under 3 inches, it can glide beneath beds, low furniture and hard-to-reach places to nab stray pet hair. It’s BoostIQ Technology also automatically increases suction power when it detects extra cleaning is needed and advanced sensors keep it from tumbling off ledges and stairs or running into furniture.
In our tests, it was one of the quietest robot vacuums and ran for almost two hours on a single charge and automatically returned to its charging base when the battery ran low.
Pros & Cons
- SELF-CLEANING BRUSHROLL: The vacuum that deep-cleans now cleans itself. Engineered for more pet hair pickup with no hair wrap (vs. Shark bristle nozzles).
- DUOCLEAN TECHNOLOGY: Dual-brushroll system deep-cleans carpets and directly engages floors for a polished look.
- POWERED LIFT-AWAY: Detachable pod for motorized cleaning under furniture or detach the nozzle to clean above the floor, on upholstery, furniture, stairs and more.
- ANTI-ALLERGEN COMPLETE SEAL: Works with HEPA filter to trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner.
- NOISE REDUCTION TECHNOLOGY: Expertly tuned to reduce noise and soften pitch.
- ACTIVE GLIDE TECHNOLOGY: Smooth maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction.
- LED HEADLIGHTS: Powerful lights on the nozzle reveal hidden debris and pet hair around your home.
- MULTI-SURFACE CLEANING: Fingertip controls allow you to easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet mode.
- PERFECT FOR PETS: Includes a self-cleaning Pet Power Brush for deep cleaning with no hair wrap.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Shark Apex Upright Vacuum, Crevice Tool, Upholstery Tool & Pet Power Brush.
As one would expect from Shark, the DuoClean Rocket is a remarkable vacuum. You’ll be getting Shark quality which really is among the best and there is an incredible range of optional extras, like HEPA filters and many other Shark products to make your life easier and more comfortable.
The name DuoClean means that you get two cleaning rollers with this vacuum. This means that you have to change the roller for different applications but you’re getting the best results without the compromise of dual-purpose roller brushes.
Best Hard Floor Vacuum for Pet Hair – We were on the lookout for vacuums, which were ergonomic and easy to operate with a good power to performance ratio – you want a product that has the juice to suck up anything in its path without being so powerful that the other components, like motorised brush heads and tubes, can’t keep up and get tangled and clogged as a result.
Pet vacuums need to be able to work equally well on a range of home surfaces so we tested ours on wooden floors, carpets, rugs, as well as furniture fabric and the obligatory pet beds and blankets. In addition to overall performance and suction power, a vacuum needs a well-designed collection bin that doesn’t add bulk or weight and is easily emptied.