Best Home Wet Dry Vacuum – When you have both dry and liquid messes to clean up, a wet/dry vacuum comes in clutch. The best wet/dry vacuums don’t just suck up dust and dirt but also liquid spills. Fortunately, there are many options on the market for you to peruse: From hefty utility to compact handheld models (and even a vacuum/mop hybrid), it’s just a matter of selecting the right one for the job.
As you shop, check if the vacuum comes with any attachments or special filters, as they can help you get even more out of your appliance by tackling various hard and soft surfaces, as well as difficult-to-reach areas of the home.
Utility models (aka shop vacuums), which feature a hose and a canister, are some of the most common wet/dry vacuums available, and they have varying waste capacities and horsepower. If you’re constantly faced with intensive cleaning projects, large options can hold as much as 20 gallons of debris and feature motors with 6 or more horsepower.
Pros & Cons
- Sturdy 12 gallon wet/dry Vac ideal for large pick-up applications
- Powerful 5.5 peak horsepower motor provides just the amount of suction needed to most any cleanup job
- Ultra durable rubberized casters allow smooth swiveling for ease of movement.To keep your wet/dry vac looking its best, clean the outside with a cloth dampened with warm water and mild soap
- Extra long, 20' Power cord with cord wrap helps reach almost any cleanup need
- Built-in blower port powerful enough to blow Sawdust and debris from most any workshop
- Built-in accessory storage bag conveniently attached to the backside of the vac to keep all accessories neatly organized
- Large built-in tank drain makes it easy to remove liquids picked up
For cleaning up after DIY and other household projects, the DeWALT Wet/Dry Vac stands out. It has a medium-capacity 12-gallon collection tank and comes with a powerful 5.5-horsepower motor for strong suction. The bright yellow canister stands 25.4 inches tall and is 17.5 inches in diameter, which is big enough that most users will need to stow it in a garage or workshop.
The DeWALT vacuum comes with a 20-foot power cord and features a 7-foot-long flexible suction hose.
Pros & Cons
- Easily Convert from Wet/Dry Vacuum to 210 MPH Handheld Blower
- 19-Foot Cleaning Reach with Hose and Power Cord
- Integrated Accessory Storage
- Extra Large Drain Port. Power Cord Length- 12 feet
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: 7' x 2-1/2" Secure Fit Hose, (2) Extension Wands, Utility Nozzle, Crevice Tool, Car Nozzle, Concentrator Nozzle, Blower Adapter, Air/Noise Diffuser, Standard Cartridge Filter and Foam Wet Filter.
Enjoying the powerful suction of a wet/dry vacuum shouldn’t break the bank. The Vacmaster Shop Vacuum comes with a medium-capacity 12-gallon collection tank and features a respectable 5-horsepower motor. Best of all, it comes at an affordable price point. The Vacmaster stands 24.49 inches tall and is 20.52 inches in diameter. It comes with a 7-foot flexible hose and has a 12-foot power cord.
The vacuum does double duty as a blower by removing the powerhead from the canister and connecting it to one of the two included extension wands. The vacuum weighs in at 24.4 pounds, and buyers receive additional nozzles and a crevice tool for cleaning in tight spots.
Pros & Cons
- VERSATILE: Ideal for medium-sized jobs around the garage, home, renovations, and jobsite
- BLOWER PORT: Use the rear exhaust port on this shop vacuum for blowing debris out of your garage or from your driveway and sidewalk
- OVERSIZED DRAIN: Built-in oversized drain on the wet/dry vac allows for convenient emptying of liquids
- EASY FILTER REPLACEMENT: Qwik Lock Filter Fastening System allows quick and easy wet dry vacuum filter changes. Do not leave Vac running while unattended - you may fail to notice important signs indicating abnormal operation such as loss of suction, debris/liquid exiting the exhaust, or abnormal motor noises. Immediately stop using Vac if you notice these signs
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: 1-7/8 in. x 7 ft. Pos-I-Lock Hose, 2 Locking Extension Wands, Utility Nozzle, Car Nozzle, Wet Nozzle, Qwik Lock Filter and Dust Collection Bag
The classic-style CRAFTSMAN Wet/Dry Vac doesn’t come with many bells and whistles, but it features a powerful 4.25-horsepower motor and offers an ample 9-gallon collection tank suitable for cleaning up medium-size messes found in most home workshops and garages. It is 24.28 inches tall, 18.42 inches wide, and 16.61 inches deep, which is slightly more compact in size than competing medium-duty models.
The CRAFTSMAN vac includes a 10-foot power cord and a 7-foot flexible hose. It also comes with accessory storage right on the canister, and buyers receive several additional attachments, including a wet nozzle, utility nozzle, crevice tool, and two extension wands.
Pros & Cons
- Backed by a 5-Year Limited Warranty, this shop vacuum cleaner has a tough copolymer drum that resists dents, cracks and it will not rust. It also includes a large drain for easy liquid disposal. Not compatible with Dust Collection Bags.
- Qwik Lock Filter Fastening System allows quick and easy wet dry vacuum filter changes and contains an auto shut-off float mechanism that helps prevent overflow during wet pickups.
- Accessory storage on the feet and top keeps vacuum attachments secure and within reach.
- 7-ft. x 2-1/2-inch Dual-Flex locking hose offers 180 Degree flexibility at both hose ends. Locking tab keeps hose connected to the wet dry vacuum cleaner during use.
- Integrated Blowing Port provides added versatility to this powerful wet dry vacuum cleaner, allowing a user to blow unwanted debris out of garages, jobsites, and driveways.
- Accessories Included: 7 ft. Locking Hose, 2 Extension Wands, Utility Nozzle, Car Nozzle, Wet Nozzle, Standard Filter
- Largest capacity and most powerful vacuum in the line; picks-up about 1 gallon of water per second
- Drain port to easily empty wet messes, and integrated blower for added versatility
- 7-foot long with 2-1/2-inch diameter hose and 20-foot power cord provide plenty of reach
- Covered by 5-year limited warranty
- Includes: vacuum, hose, Qwik Lock cartridge filter, utility nozzle, wet nozzle, car nozzle, two extension wands
With durability, power, impressive storage collection capacity, and several attachments, the WORKSHOP Wet Dry Vacuum is for big-time cleanups. It boasts a large, 6.5-horsepower motor and a copolymer drum that resists the potential cracking of the standard plastic drum found in many wet/dry vacs.
This model has a built-in auto-shutoff float that senses when the liquid level in the drum gets too high and shuts off the vacuum to prevent overflow accidents. In addition to a blower connection, a drain spout, and a 7-foot hose, the attachments list runs long and includes all of the following: a wet nozzle, a utility nozzle, a car nozzle, and two extension wands.
Pros & Cons
- 2.5 Gallon Polypropylene Tank
- 2 Peak HP Motor
- 10 Ft. Cord With Cord Wrap
- Blower Function – Easy Conversion
- On-board Accessory & Hose Storage
- Note: It is a 1-1/4” diameter hose which will make it difficult to pick up leaves or other larger debris.
The Armor All Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum is compact enough for cleaning and detailing cars, yet it comes with a 2-horsepower motor for vacuuming up ground-in dirt, dust, and other messes. It weighs 7 pounds and is just 14.4 inches tall, 14.2 inches wide, and 10.6 inches deep, small enough to set on a floorboard while cleaning. The Armor All vac comes with a 10-foot power cord and a 6-foot flexible hose.
Attachments include a utility nozzle, crevice tool, deluxe car nozzle, and a detail brush that’s designed for removing all traces of dust from heat and air vents and other tiny spots in cars
that can be hard to clean. A sturdy top handle allows the user to carry and hold the wet/vac with ease.
Pros & Cons
- Powerful 5.0 Peak Horsepower makes this portable shop vacuum ideal for professionals and contractors who need high performance in a compact package
- The ultra-flexible, 1-7/8-inch x 8-foot hose locks in place, is four times more durable than our standard hose, and fits 1-7/8-inch accessories
- The 20-foot power cord delivers extended reach and wraps around the ergonomic handle to provide comfortable transportation and convenient storage
- A patented Qwik Lock Filter Fastening System allows for hassle-free filter installation, removal for cleaning or replacement without the need for fasteners or tools
- Blower capacity offers versatile performance so you can switch to blowing leaves, dirt and debris from walkways, decks, warehouse floors and job sites
Small but mighty, the RIDGID Portable Wet Dry Vacuum features a compact 4-gallon tank. Surprisingly for its size, it also comes with a powerful 5-horsepower motor, making it a highly effective vacuum suitable for moving from room to room or transporting in a car trunk. It has a 20-foot power cord and a flexible 8-foot quick-release hose. It weighs in at 12 pounds and is 19 by 15 by 16.5 inches in size.
The RIDGID wet/dry vac does double duty as a blower by removing the powerhead from the canister. It comes with a car nozzle and a diffuser for use with the blower option, and it can be fitted with a filter bag (sold separately).
Pros & Cons
- Outstanding Performance: The 1800-watt motor delivers superior airflow into 6.6 gallons of usable wet or dry capacity, while variable suction control allows users to optimize airflow during certain applications
- The Karcher Promise - Cleaner. Quicker: A top mount filter location means easy, sealed access to the filter without recirculating dust, and allows the tank to be fully utilized - No need to remove the filter before wet cleanups. The patented semiautomatic filter cleaning technology delivers unrivaled filtration for maximum productivity
- Blower Function: The WD5/P's built-in blower quickly moves dirt and debris from hard-to-reach areas with no need for a secondary tool
- Onboard Power Tool Vacuum Outlet: An onboard power tool vacuum outlet with auto start and stop delivers on-the-job, hands-free convenience. Dirt or shavings created during planning, sawing, or sanding is removed directly
- Versatile Cleaning Options: Includes a 7.2' hose, two 20" suction tubes, crevice nozzle, hand grip nozzle, standard floor nozzle (with interchangable rubber and brush strips), power tool adapter, pleated filter, and fleece filter bag.
This Kärcher wet and dry vacuum is the priciest of the bunch (apart from George which doubles as a carpet cleaner). However, there are good deals to be had online. This 20-litre vacuum is solidly built in plastic with a stainless steel drum. It has a two-part plastic tube and a 5m cord, giving it an overall reach of 8m. The floorhead has squeegees front and back or you can swap them for crenelated brushes.
There’s a neat parking place on the back of the cylinder for the tube and floor head, plus space to stow four tools and a flat top to store more stuff. But it only comes with a crevice tool. This means fewer tools to stow, but still it feels like you should get more toys at this price. Kärcher offers plenty of optional accessories, including kits for DIY and car cleaning.
Best Home Wet Dry Vacuum – Wheels, a sturdy top handle, and a drainage spout can make bulkier utility vacuums easier to maneuver and empty of liquid waste. While big jobs are best left to larger vacuums, a utility vacuum with a 2-gallon tank capacity and 2-horsepower motor can make quick work of lighter messes around your home or car.
Upright and handheld vacuums tend to have smaller waste tanks (think: ounces rather than gallons), and they’re typically measured by different units of power. A battery of around 16 volts is ideal for cordless handheld vacuums, and these can be great for spot cleaning small messes as they arise. Corded upright vacuums often specify amps as a measure of power — the upright vacuum/mop hybrid you’ll find on this list may be less powerful than the average vacuum (which can range up to 12 amps), but that’s a tradeoff you might be keen on making to combine vacuuming and mopping into one easy step.