Best Rated Shop Vacuum Cleaners – A shop vac is an essential tool for quickly and efficiently cleaning up messes in your home, garage, workshop, or car. These specialized vacuum canisters are equipped to suction up dry and wet debris, giving you double-duty cleaning power.
Available as a portable, cordless canister for small messes or in a larger, heavy-duty size, shop vacs are sized according to their capacity in gallons. Other factors to consider when shopping for a wet/dry vac include the airpower or CFM, included attachments, and tank material
Pros & Cons
We love the Ridgid HD1600 for a number of reasons. First, it has enough power and airflow to take care of just about any cleanup job you can imagine—in the shop or on the job site.
The 16-gallon container also holds quite a bit of material before you have to empty it. You can go bagless with this vac. However, for less mess, use a dust bag or liner, and you’ll have almost continuous use with little downtime. Just charge it to the job.
Pros & Cons
- 5 Gallon Polypropylene Tank
- 5. 5 Peak HP High Efficiency Motor
- Integrated Hose Storage
- 18' Cord with Cord Storage
- Easily Converts to Blower
If you want portability with power, check out the Vacmaster Beast 5-gallon shop vac. Its 5.5 HP motor pulls 102 CFM and 82.6″ of water lift to outpace most of the competition in this smaller capacity class.
The 7-foot hose has a diameter of 1-7/8″ to match the smaller class and the 18-foot long cord gives you ample room to move around while you work. For $88, it’s also hard not to appreciate the value.
Pros & Cons
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDE: 1 x 4’ Hose, 2 x Extension Wands, 1 x Crevice Tool, 1 x Floor Tool
- EASY TO EMPTY CANNISTER: Simply click open the bottom of the vacuum over a trash bin, and watch the dust fall into it. You also have clear vision of the contents of the cannister, letting you know about how much time you have before you need to empty
- PEAK PORTABILITY: Lightweight like a hand vacuum, but you can place it flat on the ground like a wet / dry vacuum for a versatile set of worksites
- REMOVABLE HEPA FILTER: A particulate-removing filter is included to keep the air of your workplace clean as you clear it of small particles
- M18 COMPATIBLE: This vacuum is compatible with Milwaukee’s M18 18 Volt lithium ion batteries. Compatible models include the 48-11-1860, 48-11-1850, 48-11-1828, 48-11-1815, 48-11-1840, and 48-11-1820
When vacuuming out trucks or vehicles with rubber mats we typically prefer a larger vac with a long hose. For small vehicles with carpeted floors, however, the Milwaukee 0882-20 works remarkably well. The reason comes down to its extreme portability. You can easily move it from the trunk to the driver’s seat—and then put it up when you’re done.
Milwaukee also managed to eke out 40 CFM of suction from this cordless handheld shop vac—enough for basic cleanup. While the canister holds just 36 ounces—72% less volume than the Milwaukee M18 2-gallon wet/dry vacuum—it’s enough to tackle your periodic car vacuuming.
Pros & Cons
- Powerful BL Brushless motor generates 64 CFM of suction power and 44" Of water Lift
- Up to 62 minutes of continuous operation on normal setting and 33 minutes on high setting Using two 18V LXT 5.0Ah batteries BL1850B (batteries not included)
- Efficient two stage HEPA filter captures 99.97% of particulates .3 microns and larger extending the life of the main filter
- Auto-start wireless system (AWS) utilizes Bluetooth technology for Wireless Power-on/off communication between tool and dust extractor
- Aws capable with auto-start wireless transmitter (part No. 198901-5) sold separately
The Makita XCV10ZX backpack vacuum easily wins our best portable shop vac award. It gives you up to 62 minutes of continuous operation using two 5.0Ah batteries. Plus, the brushless motor gives you 64 CFM of suction and 44″ of water lift. On the filter side, a two-stage HEPA system captures 99.7% of particulates 0.3 microns and larger. It also works with the Makita AWS system.
Pros & Cons
- 6.5 PEAK HP: Max power provides heavy-duty cleanup for tasks in the shop, garage, or on the jobsite
- 2-IN-1 VAC: Powerful shop vacuum that features a detachable blower for clearing leaves and debris from your garage and outdoors
- DUAL-FLEX HOSE WITH POS-I-LOCK: Provides 180-degree flexibility at both hose ends for maneuverability and secure attachment of hose to vac drum that won't pull loose during use
- OVERSIZED DRAIN: Built-in at the lowest point of the drum assures convenient emptying of liquids
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: 2-1/2 in. x 7 ft. POS-I-LOCK Dual-Flex Hose, 2 Extension Wands, Utility Nozzle, Car Nozzle, Crevice Tool, Wet Nozzle, Locking Blower Wand, Muffler/Diffuser, Qwik Lock Filter and Dust Collection Bag
- WARRANTY: 3 Year Limited Warranty
The Vacmaster Beast Series 12-gallon 5.5HP vac offers plenty of capacity and excellent maneuverability. At just $80 you definitely want to take a good look. You get a large hose, long cord, onboard accessory storage, and extra-large drain port for fast empties.
If you can find it, the DeWalt DXV06P 6-gallon wet/dry vac gives you a compact 6-gallons of storage combined with a washable filter and great suction for household use. In the home, the 10-ft power cord could be longer but combined with the 7-foot hose you should have plenty of reach. At just over $90, the price is right, too.
Pros & Cons
- AUTO CLEANING: With automatic filter cleaning, the Bosch VAC090AH dust extractor cleans the filter every 15 seconds to help maintain maximum suction power
- PERFORMANCE: The included HEPA filter caputres 99.97 percent of particles at 0.3 microns or larger while the included fleece filter bag helps to protect the filter and provides the optimal containment of dry dust and debris
- OSHA COMPLIANT: Featuring Bosch PRO plus GUARD, an end to end dust collection system to help users move toward OSHA Silica Table 1 dust compliance
- POWER: With strong airflow and suction power, the Bosch VAC090AH dust extractor delivers a maximum 150 cubic feet of air per minute rate (CFM), with a sustainable maximum 97 in. static water lift
- COMPATIBLE: With power tool activations users can utilize power tool's switch to turn vacuum on and off; The Power Broker dial will match the suction force to application
The Bosch VAC090AH technically falls under the dust extractor category. However, once we talk about HEPA filtration, it became relevant. This remains one of the all-around best HEPA shop vacs (or dust extractors) you can buy without jumping way up in price. At $649 it doesn’t come cheap, but this vac impressed us in several ways.
Pros & Cons
- – Save Shop Space With Wall Mounted Dust Collector
- – 1 HP TEFC 120/240V Motor
- – Powerful 800 or 1,100 CFM Suction
- – 4” (2) or 5” Hose Inlet Options
- – Disposable 1.5 cu/ft Plastic Debris Bag
For a true wall-mounted shop vac we presume you may want to do more than simply clean up some floor space. For connecting woodworking equipment to a shop-wide vac system on a budget, we like the Rikon 60-101. Our best wall-mounted shop vac collects up to 99% of dust as small as 1 micron.
It features all-metal construction and the motor’s 10-inch impeller creates 800 CFM of suction using 4-inch ductwork (up to two devices). With 5-inch ducting, you can get up to 1100 CFM for single-tool use.
Best Rated Shop Vacuum Cleaners – All of these factors affect the usability and durability of a model. Keep in mind that shop vac often refers to a specific brand of wet/dry vacuum or to this category of vacuums in general.