Best Vacuum Cleaner for Carpeted Stairs – Even if you’re the type of person who doesn’t mind sticking to a regular cleaning schedule, there are some areas of your home that you’ll always dread cleaning.
And one spot in particular that’s super tempting to skip over is the staircase. Since they’re often highly trafficked areas, stairs can get dirty very easily—especially when you’re a pet owner. That’s why it’s important to invest in a vacuum that works well on stairs.
Dysons are often considered the gold standard when it comes to vacuum cleaners—and this cordless V11 model is the brand’s most powerful one yet. Shoppers are clearly convinced that it’s worth the hype based on its 6,500+ five-star ratings.
The cordless vacuum comes with plenty of accessories, like a mini motorized head and crevice tool that help you clean hard-to-reach areas. It’s lightweight enough to make carrying it up and down long flights of stairs feel effortless. Plus, it automatically adjusts its suction strength (eco, auto, or boost) based on floor type so that you can go from the kitchen to the second-floor bedrooms without skipping a beat.
- Dyson's most intelligent, powerful cordless vacuum. Twice the suction of any cordless vacuum.
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Engineered for whole-home, deep cleaning. Suction power, run time and tools designed to deep clean your whole home.
- Intelligently optimizes suction and run time across all floor types. The right balance of power and run time when you need it.
- Up to 60 minutes of run time. Engineered for larger homes with pets. Actual run time will vary based on power mode, floor type and/or attachments used.
- High torque cleaner head. Automatically adapts suction and power to deep clean different floor types without changing cleaner heads.
- Advanced whole-machine filtration. Advanced whole-machine filtration traps 99.99% of particles, dust and allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 5 Dyson engineered tools for versatile whole-home and car cleaning. Including the mini-motorized tool for removing pet hair from upholstery and tight spaces.
- Converts to a handheld for cleaning cars, stairs and upholstery
- Included: Torque drive head, mini-motorized tool, crevice tool, stubborn dirt brush, soft dusting brush, combination tool, wand storage clip, docking station, & charger
2.Bissell Featherweight Stick
You really can’t beat the $30 price on Bissell’s stick vacuum, which can be used in three different ways: as a traditional vacuum, hand vacuum, and a stair vacuum (a.k.a. a hybrid of the other two). Even though it’s the most affordable option on this list, the best-selling vacuum is still lightweight, easy to carry, and versatile.
It doesn’t have the most powerful suction, so it works best for small cleaning jobs on hard surfaces and low-pile carpets. The vacuum has a 15-foot cord, so even though there’s a limit to how far you can get from an outlet, you’ll never have to worry about the battery dying (unlike cordless models).
- Powerful, convenient, and easy to use
- Powerful suction makes it great for quick pick ups with multipurpose versatility
- Versatile cleaning three machines in one: A stick vacuum, handle vacuum, and stair vacuum
- With a crevice tool for furniture and a floor nozzle for stairs
- Clean hard floors and surface dirt on carpets and area rugs. Surface type: Counter tops, sealed hard floors, low pile carpet. Dirt cup capacity: 0.67 liter
Black+Decker makes some of Amazon’s best-selling handheld vacuums, but this particular vacuum is the most effective on stairs for two main reasons: It has double the suction power than the brand’s previous models and comes with a motorized brush that’s extremely helpful for carpeted stairs.
The cordless handheld vacuum also works great for couches and cars, according to shoppers. Plus, the design has a translucent dust bin so you know exactly when it’s time to empty it. Like most vacuums, you’ll need to regularly clean the bowl and filter—but both are washable by hand.
- MULTI-SURFACE USE – Removes hair, dirt, and debris from carpets, car interiors, furniture, and high-traffic areas.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – Easy to carry and maneuver, even in tight spaces.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – On-board extension means you won’t need to bend over as often.
- ROTATING SLIM NOZZLE – Nozzle rotates 180° to fit into tight spaces at different angles.
- PULL-OUT CREVICE TOOL – Accesses hard-to-reach areas like between couch cushions and on top of shelves.
- FLIP-UP BRUSH – Adds an extra layer of versatility for dusting and vacuuming upholstery.
- CYCLONIC ACTION – Spins dust and debris away from the filter, supplying consistently strong suction power.
- EASY-VIEW DIRT BOWL –Translucent, bagless dirt bowl empties easily for convenient debris disposal without having to touch the dirt.
- WASHABLE DIRT BOWL AND FILTER – Can be cleaned right in the sink.
- CORDLESS CLEANING – Powered by a lithium ion battery, this handheld vacuum is ideal for larger jobs requiring quick cleanup. NOTE: The instruction manual does reference mounting brackets and screws, but it is for a different (Model CHV1410L32)
Most Honorable Mentions in the post
4.INSE Cordless Vacuum
More than 11,000 shoppers gave it a perfect five-star rating, and the vacuum’s affordability and lightweight design are just two factors they love most. There are convenient LED lights on the vacuum’s head so you can see every bit of dirt and dust while you clean your staircases.
It also has a high-density HEPA filter that removes up to 99.99 percent of tiny dust particles. “We needed a new vacuum because our old one did not work well on our hardwood floors, and having a dog that sheds a lot can be a bit problematic,” one shopper wrote. “It works better than any other vacuum we have had on our hardwood… It works so great along the walls as well, and [it] is so easy to use on the stairs.”
- 4 Stages Full Sealed Filtration System: Fully sealed filtration system separates clean air and dust efficiently without leakage, Plus high-density HEPA which removes up to 99.99% of microscopic dust particles as small as 0.1 microns, this vacuum cleaner makes the exhaust air cleaner, can effectively prevent secondary pollution. HEPA is reusable and can be cleaned with the cleaning tool. (After cleaning the HEPA can solve the problem of reduced suction)
- Low Noise Design and Light Weight: ultra-quiet operation sound avoids annoying noise, friendly to your baby and pet. weighing only 3.3lbs easily converts from stick vac to a handheld vacuum, the extendable tube and multiple attachments also make it easy to vacuum curtains, ceilings and high surfaces, meeting you floor-to-ceiling cleaning needs
- Detachable Long-lasting: quick charge and long run time; cordless vacuum cleaner have 2 speed modes(Standard Mode: 45 mins; MAX Mode: 15 mins); continuous operation without risk of high temperature due to AFDPT (cooling system with air flow design patent technology ), safe to use at home and in car. Note: low charge will affect the size of suction
- Rotatable Motorized Brush with LED Light: 2 Motorized Brush is swivel 150 degrees, the stiff one for carpets (low pile) and the soft one with antistatic carbon fiber bristle for hard floors include tiles; The front LED lights make it easily to see the dust under furniture or in hard-to-reach conner, the Stick Vacuum makes cleaning these areas an absolute breeze, Giving you the very best cleaning performance
- What You Get - INSE vacuum cleaner, motorized brush head,stiff roller brush, soft roller brush, retractable metal tube, long crevice, oval brush for fabric surface, 2 HEPA filters, charging base with mains charger, 2 in 1 cleaner tool for cleaning hair from the roller, instruction manual, service card and 7/24 INSE customer service
5.Shark NV356E S2
Traditional upright vacuums can be heavy and bulky, but the Shark Navigator has a detachable canister and hose that make vacuuming carpeted staircases significantly easier. Customers love that it cleans their rugs well and that it’s incredibly easy to switch between the two modes.
And when it’s not being used as an upright vacuum, you can attach any of the extra accessories (like one for pet hair or tight corners) for even more versatility. There’s also a 30-foot-long cord, which one shopper appreciates because they can vacuum their “entire lower level without having to unplug and move to a new outlet.”
- Dust cup capacity 2.2 quarts; Lift away; Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard to reach areas
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology plus a HEPA filter; Traps 99.9 percent of dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- Powerful and lightweight; Portable and versatile at 13.7 pounds
- Brush roll shutoff; Deep carpet and gentle bare floor cleaning
- Hard floor hero attachment not included
6.Samsung Jet 90
Even though it’s definitely a splurge, the Samsung Jet 90 stick vacuum differs from the rest of the options on this list for one major reason: It has a telescopic pole that adjusts to four different heights between 36.6 and 45 inches. This is a game-changer for some people, especially anyone who typically experiences back pain from bending over while vacuuming.
The stick vacuum comes with plenty of accessories (including a standing charging dock that doubles as storage)—but as one shopper puts it, “the attachments are just enough without having a mess of useless tools you’ll never use.” It weighs about six pounds and has a 180-degree swivel function that makes it easy to maneuver.
- DUAL CHARGING AND 60 MIN BATTERY LIFE - Use your vacuum for up to 60 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning before a recharge is needed; easily swap the battery with a spare*, plus you can charge two batteries at once with the Dual Charging Station in just 3.5 hours. Brush Width: 8.5 inch
- ADVANCED PERFORMANCE - Clean hardwood, tile, and carpeting thanks to the vacuum’s 200 Air Watts of intense suction power
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN - Built to go around your home with ease at a mere 6 pounds and with four length adjustments; the Jet 90 makes it easy to vacuum stairs, reach beneath sofas or appliances, clean high cabinets, window blinds and more
- TURBO ACTION BRUSH - Rotating more than 3,700 times a minute and with 180° swivel flexibility, the Turbo Action Brush cleans dust, hair, and other debris on multiple surfaces
- JET CYCLONE - Keep debris from building up on the filter with the powerful multi-cyclonic system that pushes dirt into the dustbin. Dust Capacity- 0.8 L
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Carpeted Stairs – Vacuuming stairs regularly will help them look good while extending the lifespan of carpeting and runners.
Between risers, treads, and stair noses, plenty of dust and debris gets caught in this high-traffic thoroughfare. Fortunately, some vacuums are better than others when it comes to getting the job done safely and easily.