Best Vcr to Dvd Converter – You should now have all the information you need to make the right choice on the best VHS to digital converter for you. The four options here all have exceptional qualities.
If we were to choose a favorite, it would have to be the Elgato Video Capture due to the remarkable consistency it has in producing high-quality files. A strong contender with very similar qualities is the VIDBOX Video Conversion Suite which you’ll also be able to rely on to get the results you want.
Looking for something a little cheaper? If so, the UCEC USB 2.0 Video Capture Card Device would be perfect. While not at the elite level of the other two, you do get all the features you want along with high-quality software.
Want to skip the requirement of using a computer with software? The ClearClick Video to Digital Converter 2.0 is the answer. We loved this device and the fact it makes converting to USB or SD card easier than ever before.
1.Roxio Easy VHS
- Convert your VHS tapes to DVD or digital to enhance and preserve your home movies
- Capture analog video directly from your camcorder or VCR and burn to DVD or convert to popular digital formats to share freely across devices
- Trim video, make quick edits, enhance color, add transitions, reduce noise and stabilize old footage to breathe new life into your old videos
- Complete your video experience by selecting from creative, customizable DVD menu templates, or creating personalized disc labels
- Get 2 DVDs for your first projects: An Amazon exclusive extra
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus aims to make the transfer from VHS tapes to DVDs easy. Indeed, it contains all the kit you need, in a single inexpensive package – including a bridge cable, some blank DVDs, and instructions on downloading Roxio’s own software for PC or Mac.
Using this, you can even enhance the footage you transfer and add extra items, like menus, to your DVD. On paper, it looks like one of the best VHS to DVD converters, but in reality it suffers from issues with the software you are required to download. And while it sounds obvious, you should also make sure that your home computer has a DVD writing drive, or this will not work.
- Capture HD 1080P Video from VCR's, VHS Tapes, Hi8, Camcorder, DVD, TV BOX & Gaming Systems, Watch Your Video Through 5"OLED Screen.
- Built-in large capacity battery and lightweight size, allows you to use and playback watch your video on anywhere, The battery can be charged by the Power Adapter or Computer’s USB port.
- Plug-in USB/ SD Ports,Allows You Use USB flash disk or SD card to Save Your Precious Videos, Transfer Videos to Computer Easily (PC Windows or Mac Compatible). No Computer Required to Record/Playback.
- Support the Input and output of AV and HDMI HD 1080P Video Signal, with 3.5mm video input or output ports, Built-in Stereo Speakers.
- Package Contents Includes 5V Power Adapter, HDMI Cable, TYPE-C USB Cable, AV Cable, User Manual and SD card. Note: Before using a USB flash drive or a SD card, please make sure to set the format to FAT32 or exFAT, and the maximum capacity to 128G . For the best result, It is recommended to use a 10 or higher speed class SD card. Incorrect format or a low speed level SD card may affect the normal use of the device.
The Digitnow! HD video Recorder is an all in one transcriber box that will allow you to transfer videos from various sources. Sold as a console game capture device, it will easily transfer old VHS or your Video 8 footage without a problem.
Recordings are saved as MP4 format onto a USB drive. Made from the US company Digitnow (somewhat similar to a competitor ClearClick), they produce and sell a variety of devices from Turntables, cassette to USB, scanners and video capture.
3.RCA to HDMI
- AV to HDMI Converter: Converts analog RCA composite (red, white, yellow) input to HDMI 720P/1080P (60HZ) output. You can get all your old gaming system which output with RCA to HDMI projector/monitor!
- Plug and Play: Mini RCA to HDMI converter box need no extra driver, user friendly and easy to operate. Please hook up the USB power cable (included) to 5V 1A power adapterwhen using this RCA to HDMI adapter.
- Wide Compatibility: Support source formats of PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV. Provide advanced signal processing with great precision, colors, resolutions, and details.
- Widely applied to PS2 xbox Nintendo 64, WII, STB, VHS, VCR, DVD Players and other devices with standard composite AV output.
- Attention: This is RCA to HDMI Converter, CAN NOT be used as HDMI to RCA/AV converter.
In the early 2000s, HD video hit the scene. Suddenly, you could make out ultra-fine details in a live broadcast. Not only can you see more details, but you can also enjoy a much larger screen size. 70, 80, and even 100-inch screens are now commonplace, even in ordinary living rooms.
But to get this type of detail, you need a better input. Old-school RCA cables simply aren’t able to handle a high-definition signal. Enter the HDMI cable, designed specifically for HD video. We’ve reviewed a few types of adapters, including HDMI to VGA and HDMI to DisplayPort. But what if you want to convert video from your old device to your new HD display?
- RCA to HDMI Converter: This RCA to HDMI can convert analog RCA composite input to HDMI 1080P (60HZ) output. Making video come alive, giving the most realistic HD visual experience. Important Note: RCA inputs for HDMI output only!
- Plug & Play : There is no need to install drivers for this RCA to HDMI converter. Easy and convenient to use, grant users the most effortless using trip. Important Note: external power needed.
- HDMI 1080P: An affordable model that's easy to use with ultra HD 4K and 3D compatible. Analog to digital conversion in this RCA to HDMI employs 10 bits maximal 162MSPS sampling, which automatically detects and converts the composite signal to 1080p (60Hz) output, presents you more vivid videos.
- Wide Compatibility: This RCA to HDMI Converter supports source formats of PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV. Provide advanced signal processing with great precision, colors, resolutions, and details.
- Warranty: This AV to HDMI converter is backed with 18 months warranty as well as friendly email support in 24 hour.
The mini AV to HDMI converter is a universal RCA to HDMI converter for analog composite input to HDMI 1080p (60HZ) output. The analog to digital conversion in this module employs 10 bits maximal 162MSPS sampling black /white level expansion, color transition improvement dynamic range expansion blue stretch, auto-detect and auto-convert the composite signal to 1080p (60HZ) output.
Making the video come alive, delivering the sharpest most realistic HD visuals available.
- 1080p Up-Conversion
- Progressive Scan Video Out
- 5 Speeds for up to 6 Hours Recording
- Satellite Link Recording
- HDMI Output
Get ready to see your favorite DVDs and VHS tapes in a whole new light with the ZV427MG9 DVD Recorder & VCR from Magnavox. This unit features an HDMI out with upconversion to 1080p resolution, so when you connect it to an HDMI-enabled display you can experience near-HD picture quality. It also features progressive scan technology for cleaner, smoother, more lifelike images.
With 2-way dubbing, you can record your VHS tapes to DVD, or your DVDs to VHS tapes. Plus, the ZV427MG9 can record for up to six hours so you can maximize your entertainment. It offers conveniences like One-Touch Record, parental lock control and lets you program recording for up to 12 programs within a one-month period. As a 2-in-one combo unit, it will settle right into any home theater while occupying minimal space in your setup.
- Dolby Digital Steam Output
- Progressive scan Video Output
- S Video Out
- Line In Recording on VHS from Cable/Satellite Box
With the DV220FX4 DVD Player/VCR with Line-In Recording from Funai, you can enjoy your whole collection of DVDs and VHS tapes, and even record new programs. This space-saving unit keeps your home entertainment area clutter-free, has several handy features and an affordable price tag.
Play your VHS tapes without purchasing a separate unit. Whether you’ve got cherished home movies or classic films in VHS format, enjoy them all. The parental lock is perfect for family households, while one-touch recording lets you pull programming from a Satellite dish or cable box at the touch of a button.
- NOTE: The VIDBOX Video Conversion Suite product includes two software download cards that include the Product Key license and download links for each software - one for Windows, one for Mac
- Supports both Windows PC and Mac. What's in the box: USB video capture device, USB Cable, RCA AV Cable, 2 Quick Start Guides, 2 Software Download Cards
- Capture old VHS, Beta, 8 mm or camcorder tapes and convert them to DVD or other digital formats
- Great for novice users: Step-by-step pictorial instructions guide you through the process. Capture old VHS, Beta, 8 mm or camcorder tapes and convert them to DVD or other digital formats
- Mac system requirements: Compatible Video Players: VCR (VHS, Betamax, S-VHS), camcorder (8mm, DV, mini DV, HDV, AVCHD), TV, DVD player, game console and more. PC System Requirements: Other VCR or camcorder for video conversion, DVD Writer for DVD burning, Other player-specific cables as needed
Weighing less than two ounces, the box connects to (and is powered by) a free USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on your Mac with the included cable; the manufacturer recommends a direct connection, but I used it with no problems attached to a hub.
The device is made of plastic and the build quality feels a little on the cheap side, but the quality of the captured video and audio was representative of the original source material, with no visible degradation from the encoded MPEG-4 files with AAC 128Kbps 48KHz audio.
Vidbox is an input-only device, designed expressly for one-way conversion of analog tape signals to the digital format. It can’t output to a television, nor be used as a second Mac display.
8.UCEC USB 2.0
- EASY TO USE: You can Transfer video from a VCR or other analog video source to your Mac or PC. VHS, VCR, Hi8, Camcorder Video to DVD or Digital Converter
- ANALOG VIDEO SOLUTION: Put family memories and family videos on your computer, Super Easy-to-use software guides you through every step and turns your analog into digital. If you use MacBook, you can capture video, edit video. The included software is for Windows.
- ALL IN ONE: Captures video in the universal H.264 digital format – works for iPad, Windows Live Movie Maker, and YouTube. Transfer them to DVD and other digital formats, such as AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4 to preserve your vinyl records in digital format.
- PACKAGE INCLUIDE: UCEC All in One Video Capture, User Manual, Disc with the software, Composite Connection（RCA Cable).
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: UCEC provides 24-hour online technical support and 1 YEAR money back. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Before the age of smartphones, tablets, social media and even digital cameras, there was the VHS cassette time. It was the only way to record and store all of our videos. Some of your most cherished moments in life are on VHS format ?
TV shows, music videos from the 80s, weddings and your kids? birthdays. This Video Grabber easily collects data from your original source (in this case a VHS player), and displays it beautifully on your PC or laptop. At the same time it is recording and saving it for editing later.
- Video Resolution 1080p
- Video Progressive Scan 3:2 Pulldown
- Audio WMA & MP3 Playback MP3 Only
- Inputs / Outputs Digital Audio Out 1 Coaxial, S-Video 1 Output, 2 Input, RCA Video (Composite) 1 Input, 1 Output, USB Port 1
- Features Playable Disk Types DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Video Upconversion 1080i, 1080p, 720p, HDMI CEC Yes
- One Touch Recording Yes
Since most TV service providers today utilize their own converter boxes, the tuner would serve no purpose anyway. If your TV signal is something you receive by antenna or you don’t use a box from your service provider, the tuner may be a something you need. The other feature that isn’t fully lacking but has limitations that concern me is the recording time available on this unit. As with VCR’s of the past, it’s common knowledge that longer recording times equal lower quality video even on a DVD.
The Sony machine allowed me to add recording time in 1/2 hour increments beginning at 30 minutes so I was able to create great quality video even on recordings over 2 hours but less than 4. This machine jumps in two hour segments starting at the 2 hour mark. (There is a 60 minute setting as well.) As a result, to record for say 130 minutes requires it to be set in the 4 hour recording mode which may cause it to lose some of the picture clarity although the 4 hour speed seems very good so far. I’ll add another review soon.
- Convert Your Old Video Tapes or Camcorder Tapes to Digital Format With The Touch of a Button (Recording Resolution: SD 720x480 Pixels. Not Intended For Modern HD Video Sources.)
- Record and Digitalize Video From VHS, VCR's, DVD Players, DVR's, Camcorders, Hi8, & Retro Gaming Systems (Note: a Working VCR/Camcorder is Required and Not Included. Does Not Play VHS/Camcorder Tapes. Check Condition of Your VCR/Camcorder/Tapes Before Purchasing!)
- No Computer or Software Required - Just Hook It Up & Start Recording - Records Videos Directly Onto Any USB Flash Drive or SD Card (Not Included)
- What's New In The Video2Digital(R) Version 2.0 (Second Generation): Extra-Large 3.5" Preview Screen, Better Recording Quality, Improved Audio/Video Sync Protection, Auto Stop Feature (60, 90, 120, 150 Minutes), Mobile-Friendly MP4 Recording Format, & Pause/Resume While Recording
- Includes 1-Year Warranty & Tech Support from ClearClick, a USA-Based Small Business
Best Vcr to Dvd Converter – BUYER’S GUIDE
Get a VCR player – As we’ve mentioned, you need a device to play your VHS tapes. The easiest and cheapest way to do that is by buying a VCR player but you can also record directly from a video camera that can play VHS tapes or a camcorder with smaller tapes.
Purchase your VHS to digital converter – We’ve looked at some great options that can do this easily for you. Choose the one that most closely matches your needs.
Install the software on your computer – A converter will come with software and they will either give you a link to get this online with the use of a product key or you’ll get a CD with the software on. Installation should be a simple process.
Connect everything together – Connect your VCR player to the converter using the cables attached then connect that to your computer. The connection to the computer is usually via USB and all modern computers have at least one of these slots.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions – All converters will have slightly different software. It’s therefore important to consult the user guide to do this as easily as possible. It will also help you to troubleshoot any issues.
Record your VHS tape – You can press to record your VHS tape and decide which type of video format you want it in. Once it has finished recording, you’ll then have your digital file that you can either store or burn onto a DVD.
Insert a blank DVD and burn a copy – Blank DVD’s are easy to buy and relatively inexpensive. Some converters allow you to burn straight to DVD and or you may require another program to do this. There is plenty of free software to do this and you may already have it on your computer.
It’s important to know that the ClearClick Video to Digital Converter 2.0 cuts out many of these steps as it will record the VHS straight to a USB stick or SD card and you won’t need a computer or the software that comes with it for the conversion.
You can then use your USB/SD and plug it into a computer to go through the stages of burning a DVD.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best VHS to digital converter?
We think the Elgato Video Capture is the best digital converter available today with the VIDBOX Video Conversion Suite being a close second. Both of them have exceptional qualities and will allow you to record those old VHS tapes in confidence.
It could be, however, that you’re looking for something a little different.
The ClearClick Video to Digital Converter 2.0 provides a shortcut as you don’t need to worry about a computer or the related software which would be the ideal solution for many people.
How can I convert VHS to digital without VCR?
It’s very likely that you’ll need a VCR. The reason is that you need something to play the tapes in real-time and there is no shortcut in doing that.
Thankfully VCR machines can be picked up for quite cheap on resale sites and then you can sell them on once you’ve finished.
The only other solution is by using something else that can play VHS tapes such as a video camera.
These are harder to find as most camcorders at the time used much smaller tapes. If you have these smaller tapes, then many converters will also work directly from a camcorder.
How long does it take to transfer VHS to DVD?
The initial conversion process to a digital file is going to take as long as the VHS tape is. This can be a lengthy process if it’s a long tape but it can’t be avoided. Once you’ve done that then you’ll need to get it onto a blank DVD.
This process is going to be much shorter and will often take around 15 minutes depending on the length of the video and the type of software that you have.
This is better than recording directly to DVD because as well as the DVD (which also degrade) you’ll have the digital file.
Can you still buy a VCR player?
It’s going to be hard to find a VCR player in a shop now as VHS tapes have long since been replaced. There are still quite a few online retailers that have them but it can be expensive to squire a new one and there aren’t many options.
It means that the best option can be to get one second-hand. Websites such as eBay have plenty on offer and it’s likely you’ll find one local to you.
Once you’ve converted all of your tapes, you can then sell it on for someone else to do the same.
What do I need to convert VHS to DVD?
There are four components that you’ll generally need to do this: a VCR player, a converter with software, a computer with a DVD slot and a blank DVD.
There were some machines made that can play both DVD and VHS tapes at the same time but these are now very hard to find.
It’s important to check that you have everything before starting the process.
Not every PC or laptop is going to have a DVD player and you have to make sure that everything connects together. Blank DVD’s can be easily sourced online or from a local store.
What is the best way to convert VHS tapes to digital?
The best way is to use one of these converters as they will make the process as easy as possible. The other way would be to pay a company to do it for you.
The downside to this is that it can be much more expensive and you won’t be in control of the process.
They will often charge per VHS tape and will then also charge extra for each DVD copy you want along with other types of digital storage such as a USB drive. If you have a VHS collection, this can end up costing you many hundreds of dollars.
The precious memories of many families are held on VHS videotapes. Unfortunately, VHS tapes not only degrade over time but the devices on which to play them are becoming very rare.
The answer is to turn them into digital copies, and you can do that with the best VHS to digital converter.
These devices can transform those old tapes into a digital format of your choice. You can then burn them into a DVD or keep them on a USB stick. There is, however, plenty of factors that go into choosing the best converter.